Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Note I never said I hated it

Just that it's not the best *movie*

It's a goddamn wild time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Vs. Megalon is incredibly, wonderfully gay and I will not stand for that being used as a pejorative by anyone against it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah when it comes to peak entertainment, and for what general public probably think of "Godzilla" (before the modern US movies), vs. Megalon is great stuff.

Also it's original Japanese poster is one I really want to get :3:

ゴジラ対メガロ by Doug Hardy, on Flickr

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also it blew my mind when I found out that Jet Jaguar's name in Japan is supposed to be Jet Jäger- or Jet Hunter. It makes more sense. But both are great.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also it blew my mind when I found out that Jet Jaguar's name in Japan is supposed to be Jet Jäger- or Jet Hunter. It makes more sense. But both are great.

Yeah everything about JJ is kind of amazing. Track down his original design under Red Alone some time, it's beautiful.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Godzilla vs. Megalon certainly has its problems, but it ain't the worst. Here's a weird thing about it though for me, there's one shot in it that kind of really creeps me out and I don't really understand why. It's at about 00:17 in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUv-VDKkCaI&t=15s and it's the big wide shot of Godzilla in the background moving into frame and approaching Megalon and Gigan who are in the foreground.

Something about it just trips the fear section in my brain and I don't get it. There's nothing actually frightening about it. I love Godzilla, and I've never been scared of him, even when I was little. But something about the combination of imagery and sound just does something weird to my mind. Maybe it's the way he just kind of appears out of the background, or maybe it's the uncanny way he's walking in a straight line and then takes a sudden 90 degree turn towards the camera. Maybe it's the hosed up music. But probably it's the combination of all it that hits some weird subconscious thread buried deep in my mind and makes me feel weird. There's no logical reason for it, it just snaps something odd in me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Godzilla vs Megalon feels like a backdoor pilot for a Jet Jaguar TV series.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Godzilla vs Megalon feels like a backdoor pilot for a Jet Jaguar TV series.

What's bizarre is that there is a tokusatsu series that Toho made immediately after, Zone Fighter, that is in continuity with Showa Godzilla and even features our boy Gigan's death and a big fight with Ghidorah and Godzilla even showed up a few times.

...it somehow never involved Jet Jaguar and I have no Earthly idea why

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Are there other tv shows by Toho that had the Godzilla monsters showing up? I know there's also Godzilla Island.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Bee posted:

Are there other tv shows by Toho that had the Godzilla monsters showing up? I know there's also Godzilla Island.

do you count knock off Godzilla monsters because boy do I have a thing to share

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Bee posted:

No, of course not. Although for some reason that I frankly don't understand, a lot of people confuse the completely original Ultraman monster Jirass with Godzilla

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress it sharing

So in the 2000s, Toho decided to try their hand at Toku again. This time around they tackled a Sentai-style show called GranSazer. Not a whole lot to talk about here in relation to what the subject is, though the neat thing is that the 'megazord' is a bunch of humanoid robots forming together into a giant kaiju robot.

After GranSazer they made two more series, Sazer X and JustiRiser.

JustiRiser has a monster that is very, VERY possibly concept art for a hypothetical Heisei Mechani Kong, https://godzilla.fandom.com/wiki/Bulgario

But SazerX *definitely* does this. Sazer X focuses more on kaiju than the other two series and for the kaiju, they went with weird and awesome takes on existing Toho kaiju.

So you have a Bagan, who was the source of a hoax that there was a Final Wars Bagan planned in fact, a classic Mecha Godzilla fused with Showa Godzilla, a Super MechaGodzilla, Hedorah and most amusing of them all, an edgy as gently caress Final Wars take on MOGUERA

https://under-rated-kaiju.fandom.com/wiki/Sazer_X_Kaiju

Really, really cool seeing these designs

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
These are actually really cool! And between these guys and those Ultraman kaiju like Jirass and Gomess, I kinda love the trend of designs and suits being passed around by Kaiju designers.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Karloff posted:

Godzilla vs. Megalon certainly has its problems, but it ain't the worst. Here's a weird thing about it though for me, there's one shot in it that kind of really creeps me out and I don't really understand why. It's at about 00:17 in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUv-VDKkCaI&t=15s and it's the big wide shot of Godzilla in the background moving into frame and approaching Megalon and Gigan who are in the foreground.

Something about it just trips the fear section in my brain and I don't get it. There's nothing actually frightening about it.

Your terror isn't affected by the BOING BOING BOING BOING in the music?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gripweed posted:

No, of course not. Although for some reason that I frankly don't understand, a lot of people confuse the completely original Ultraman monster Jirass with Godzilla

I love the costume kitbashing in Ultraman so much. It’s like if a Star Trek series only featured ships that appeared for half a second in the Battle of Wolf 359.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Karloff posted:

Here's a weird thing about it though for me, there's one shot in it that kind of really creeps me out and I don't really understand why.

My armchair perspective is that it's a very sudden and unexpected shift from depicting the kaiju as kaiju to reducing them to smaller creatures against a larger landscape. That, associated with the fact that you're subconsciously expecting something to go down, causes you to view Godzilla's sudden entrance from stage left as you would seeing a stranger wander into your backyard or something similar. At least, that's how I interpreted it. I wouldn't say I found it scary, but it was definitely jarring!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Your terror isn't affected by the BOING BOING BOING BOING in the music?

I always, as a kid, heard that as 'weirdo weirdo weirdo'

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think the guy inside the suit was just momentarily disoriented and took a second to remember where his mark to turn was.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Are there any modern kaiju movies that lean into the whole wrestling-inspired choreography? It seems like the Godzilla movies moved to beam spam as the suits became more rigid and that ended up defining the entire genre, but I love the old Showa-era brawls.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are there any modern kaiju movies that lean into the whole wrestling-inspired choreography? It seems like the Godzilla movies moved to beam spam as the suits became more rigid and that ended up defining the entire genre, but I love the old Showa-era brawls.

My friend, do I have the movie for you

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Final Wars has a bit more of what you’re looking for (the suit was specifically crafted to be more mobile) but most of the fights are really short.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Gripweed,

I really in enjoyed The Howl From Beyond The Fog. Thanks for pointing it in the bluray thread a while ago.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MacheteZombie posted:

Gripweed,

I really in enjoyed The Howl From Beyond The Fog. Thanks for pointing it in the bluray thread a while ago.

I'm glad to hear it's good. My copy hasn't left California yet

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

That sucks. I wonder what the hold up is.. I got mine fairly quick.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

I did not know I needed to see this movie until now. :vince:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Gripweed posted:

If it helps, my tracking info didn't update until a couple days before it showed up. For those waiting, be careful how you open the envelope. My big gorilla hands managed to rip both posters.

Vince MechMahon posted:

How in the hell did I not know about this movie

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/tagropemag/status/736116576848580609?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

mariooncrack posted:

I did not know I needed to see this movie until now. :vince:

Dangerous Person posted:

How in the hell did I not know about this movie

it's not good

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gripweed posted:

it's not good

It's got what you come for though. Kota Ibushi moonsaulting a Kaiju

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Where’s my Big Man Japan sequel though

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's got what you come for though. Kota Ibushi moonsaulting a Kaiju

Kota Ibushi did a Kaiju Big Battel wrestling show around the time of Wrestlemania 32 and it was wonderful well worth finding the video for it.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Gripweed posted:

it's not good

I never said it had to be good

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Burkion posted:

The merch gets downright horny with his design, slimming him up and making him anime as hell. Its a real weird disconnect from the tryhard loser who went all in on double chainsaw hands

I will not brook any insult to the double chainsaw hands look..

Gigan was just emulating a true hero.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Confirmed now in addition to everything else WB has for 2021

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1334565594625175554?s=10

https://twitter.com/erikdavis/status/1334565772769693696?s=10

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looks like I'll be burning my HBO Max free trial on for GvK if it comes out before the Snyder Cut.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Looks like I'll be burning my HBO Max free trial on for GvK if it comes out before the Snyder Cut.

:owned:

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1334572497321275394?s=21

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean it kind of makes sense. Its basically the same price as a movie ticket.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

You still get a code that I bet works in every WB blu-ray release these days.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/TOHO_GODZILLA_/status/1334585224210964481?s=09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Man so there won't even be a chance of it being safe to see in theaters by then.