Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

brocked posted:

I'm hoping for a Snyder cut series, hopefully where they can explain why Sally Hawkins is back from the dead along with Serizawa
10 hours? Maybe 11:00 just to be safe

Radiation makes Serizawa stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Godzilla hugged him and cured him

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Seatopian time and space portal opened up due to radiation and he escaped to the future (now)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

"That was my brother, Larryzawa."

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I would like to express my frustration that the Crunchyroll store exclusive napping Godzilla sofubi figure was already sold out from the presale before I even received my targeted ad.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm alright with the 1hr53min runtime because it's probably at the expense of needless dialogue.

Having re-watched KotM this weekend (first time seeing it since theaters), some of the human scenes could have been cut down without any loss. Vera Farmiga's ridiculous monologue and the contrived build-up to Serizawa's sacrifice come to mind.

Also, time to predict GvsK's Rotten Tomatoes score! I'm going with 40% critic, 65% general viewers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ixmR-O5zMk

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1367094236320059393?s=20

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Double McChicken, brave veins.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is the new Gamera set by arrow better than the old blu rays?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just call my colon Tokyo because Godzilla is going to wreck it

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Mantis42 posted:

Just call my colon Tokyo because Godzilla is going to wreck it

Just call my rectum Godzilla because King Kong is about to tear it up. ...wait

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just booked my cinema ticket for the first session of GvK later this month :toot:

I haven't set foot in a cinema for well over a year but things are pretty much back to normal here in Melbourne Australia. Of course if we get another covid outbreak later this month I'll cancel the ticket and watch it at home :coronatoot:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/ItCameFromBlog/status/1034104478226472960?s=20

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The new Pacific Rim anime is available on Netflix now, it's only a half season of 7 episodes so it's real short. There's some fun kaiju v mecha action but it also goes to some pretty dark places for a kid's cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umtOGzti-XQ

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s already better than uprising for the virtue of using the drat original fuckin SCORE!!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The new Pacific Rim anime is available on Netflix now, it's only a half season of 7 episodes so it's real short. There's some fun kaiju v mecha action but it also goes to some pretty dark places for a kid's cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umtOGzti-XQ

Yea I liked it a lot more than I expected. Did some interesting stuff with the world building. How far in the future does this take place compared to the movies? 20-30 years or so?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's kinda murky, but it's at least five years after the events of the first movie.

What's interesting is that Striker Eureka appears very early in the first episode (explained by a flashback in later episodes) and from there it tries very hard to remain faithful to the precepts of the PPDC.

Agreed that there's a lot of poo poo that happens in this series that's extremely grim for an anime, but not really for Pacific Rim as a whole..

Whomever did the music and audio FX did a masterful job of keeping the flavor of the original movie. Also appreciated the slow ponderousness they managed to instill in the mech animation; Pacific Rim Uprising felt to me like they ignored that aspect and just made the jaegers animate at the normal speed of a Saturday Morning cartoon, making everything look super cheap.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 7, 2021

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/UmikazeMasana/status/1368364997110198275?s=20

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I liked the Pacific Rim series. Feels very Pacific Rim meets Mad Max in a lot of parts. They explore some interesting things from the background material-

-Drifting gets used for interrogation and Matrix like training uploads.

-References to the 'uprising war' from the regrettable sequel.

-There were many references to Jagers that never made it into the movie but were in the background art book.

The Kaiju had unique designs as well. My favorite was a Salamander-like one that kind of slithered and dragged along its belly. The Kaiju seem attracted to the Protagonists doing something stupid each episode. The daughter bypassing all the Jager training protocols reminded me of an impatient gamer skipping most of the tutorial lol.

Main gripe was that I didn't care for the cell shaded medium, and none of the material managed to catch the 'weighty' feel of the way these giant robots and monsters moved from the first movie. Also kind of groaned at the Kawarou knockoff that turns into a Kaiju when he gets pissed

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Edit: ah you did.

Yeah I liked it overall. My other complaint is that it should have been 12 episodes.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Never saw Uprising, is it necessary the plot of the series?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I'd completely forgotten everything about Uprising but didn't have a problem following the anime at all, looking over the Wikipedia plot summary of the movie I guess the only relevant parts were maybe humans incorporating kaiju organs into earth tech, including hybrid Jaegers but it's not super crucial.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The real big part of Uprising is explaining how there are more kaiju after they closed the rift in the first one. It's also got a really good Charlie Day performance that's worth watching. But other than that, nah there's no reason to watch it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah I liked that they at least brought back Charlie Day (and Rinko Kikuchi) for it. While I didn't loathe the sequel as much as other people, one gripe I have about it is parallel to Independence Day 2, in that they weren't able to get the main star back for the sequel and had to come up with a bullshit "oh he died and his son is following in his footsteps". Both were a lot of missed potential, you have this great hammy premise to work with and a lot of it was wasted potential because they couldn't get the headliners back for the second one.

Aliens that have the power to send giant monsters across dimensions probably won't get deterred by a single setback. So it's totally reasonable there would be more breaches later (in the current series they seem to pop up willy nilly). Even in the first films they explored potential uses for Kaiju so its only a matter of time before people weaponize them for their own ends. Some ideas were abandoned a little early-in the background info Kaiju 'blue' (blood) is supposed to be super toxic and punching them to death was meant to be a form of ecological damage control. But I guess they'd write themselves into a corner by keeping that (also We've seen Kaiju get gibbed rather spectacularly over all the movies /series which isn't consistent with the "Don't let them contaminate the planet with their blue goo").

But the thing I hate got abandoned was each nation having a signature Jager much like that Gundam series. It let the designers have a lot of fun with the Jager design and the 4 main Jagers shown in the first film were all very unique; even the pilots' plugsuits were distinctive (Ruskies probably should've invested in respirators in terms of constantly fighting in 70ft deep water) . This was ditched in the sequel where the PPDC was more centralized and streamlined and there was very little story or difference between the newer Jagers. The series is a little better but it seems like most/all the Jagers depicted are obviously relics of the PPDC's heyday and we probably won't see region specific Jagers like in the first film.

There's also a little confusion about consistency; Striker Eureka's fate is different than in the first film. Regardless, I hope there's a second season.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Sobatchja Morda posted:

It's awful but don't pretend like you're not going to rent it

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s loving garbage. Don’t waste your time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s not good, but I’ve also seen far worse kaiju movies so :shrug:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It doesn’t have the pacific rim theme in it except for one scene.

That killed a lot for me.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s not good, but I’ve also seen far worse kaiju movies so :shrug:

Well yeah, we've all seen All Monsters Attack. :cheeky:

But to me it just completely fumbled the ball, had nothing that made PR1 great and while the world building was neat it just looks ugly to me. PR1 had a sense of "this is real heavy poo poo" and each battle had some weight to it. In this they are the most fluid things ever.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vintersorg posted:

But to me it just completely fumbled the ball, had nothing that made PR1 great and while the world building was neat it just looks ugly to me. PR1 had a sense of "this is real heavy poo poo" and each battle had some weight to it. In this they are the most fluid things ever.

It still blows my mind that Uprising opens by establishing that John Boyega is living a life of crime and decadence looting coastal mansions destroyed by Kaiju attacks, making the occasional big score by selling illegal giant robot parts to anyone who can pay. And then the movie just immediately throws that all in the trash and is about some kids in robot high school.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

I havent! Mostly cause i have no desire to

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Watch all Godzillas

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You must endure like we all did.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

All Monsters Attack is a good and interesting film imo with a lot of things going on under the surface - there's a bleakness and tragedy to it and a level of social criticism. I prefer it to both Destroy All Monsters and Son of Godzilla and even its use of stock footage is justified within the context (although of course probably still the result of cutting the budget then strong creative intent.)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I like All Monsters Attack. Its not a great as a Godzilla story but I found the 'late 1960s Japan' drama interesting enough. Son of Godzilla I thought was just outright awful.

But ultimately

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Watch all Godzillas

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
For your consideration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8V8KYxOI8k

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Son of Godzilla is a good and fun movie.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Watch all Godzillas

Hmm

Nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

HannibalBarca posted:

Son of Godzilla is a good and fun movie.

Child abuse is not fun.

Watching Minilla get the poo poo kicked out of him by giant Mantis monsters is hilarious.