Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dangerous Person posted:

In case anybody else preordered one of those weird Shin Godzilla embryos I just got a shipping notification for mine

Yep! I got the clear one so I can see it better. Can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I didn't really have trouble following anything as much as I had trouble caring about the human characters.

KotM and KvG in a nutshell as it relates to their subplots.

I'm totally cool with looking at the human characters in movies like this but as long as they're going to suck, be badly written, boring, poorly acted and utterly stupid, KvG has the right idea by just giving us less of that poo poo.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The best thing about Kong's movie was the island. It allows you to feel Kongs presence even when he's not there. Roberts was a genius when one of the first shots when the humans are on ground has Kong just chilling in the background. From then on, you're searching for Kong, just like the characters are, wondering when he's gonna appear again.

It's seems a lot harder to do something global like that with Godzilla, especially in the modern age where they can track his every movement. It's a lot more difficult to translate the known into a force of nature.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BiggerBoat posted:

KotM and KvG in a nutshell as it relates to their subplots.

I'm totally cool with looking at the human characters in movies like this but as long as they're going to suck, be badly written, boring, poorly acted and utterly stupid, KvG has the right idea by just giving us less of that poo poo.

Honestly, Kong:SI wasn't terribly better in that regard either, but it had the saving grace of the human cast being humorously winnowed.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The main problem with kotm and gvk isn't that there's human stuff, it's that in kotm it's privileged white mom bioterrorist shocked when things go wrong while her daughter plays the parent trap during kaiju attacks. And gvk is angelina jolie adopts a kid with a pet monster and they use it to fight another monster her employer is provoking.

Kong is a horror film where the humans are just trying to get off the island before the things they woke up kill them. And Kongs characters are chock full of political commentary, so good.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Skull Island is interesting insofar that the side characters are all quite compelling but the two ostensible leads in Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson are kind of dull.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Honestly, Kong:SI wasn't terribly better in that regard either, but it had the saving grace of the human cast being humorously winnowed.

I dunno. Not saying K:SI wasn't on the goofy side but for the most part it did well utilizing the talent they had on screen and while it was silly poo poo I still found it entertaining.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

bushisms.txt posted:

The main problem with kotm and gvk isn't that there's human stuff, it's that in kotm it's privileged white mom bioterrorist shocked when things go wrong while her daughter plays the parent trap during kaiju attacks. And gvk is angelina jolie adopts a kid with a pet monster and they use it to fight another monster her employer is provoking.

Kong is a horror film where the humans are just trying to get off the island before the things they woke up kill them. And Kongs characters are chock full of political commentary, so good.

Right: we’ve got a pair of films, with four hours of combined runtime, about White Mom’s plot to force the entire Earth population into lockdown so that ‘nature can heal itself.’

This plan is extremely poorly conveyed, with her “kaiju shelters” only appearing for a few seconds at the end of the last film.

But the bigger point is that they unwittingly made two films about COVID, and just totally botched it by making the ultimate enemy... technological progress? And the heroes are conspiracy theorists?

This is where the filmmakers maybe ought to have tread carefully.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

But the bigger point is that they unwittingly made two films about COVID, and just totally botched it by making the ultimate enemy... technological progress? And the heroes are conspiracy theorists?

This is where the filmmakers maybe ought to have tread carefully.

:psyduck:

You’re totally right.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
So apparently the top five most streamed movies across all streaming services last week were Godzilla vs Kong, Passion of the Christ, Godzilla 2014, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, and Kong: Skull Island.

I'd say they're probably going to make more of these movies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hexmage-SA posted:

So apparently the top five most streamed movies across all streaming services last week were Godzilla vs Kong, Passion of the Christ, Godzilla 2014, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, and Kong: Skull Island.

I'd say they're probably going to make more of these movies.

We're finally gonna get that long-rumored Godzilla vs. Satan movie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There has to be a studio trying to get the rights to do an American Gamera right now

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Universal is still trying to get their shared universe going. Give us a real Godzilla vs. Frankenstein, cowards!!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Maxwell Lord posted:

We're finally gonna get that long-rumored Godzilla vs. Satan movie

Godzilla x Jesus

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

site posted:

Godzilla x Jesus

i'm all for more Mothra movies

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This is probably the best chance we'll ever get at seeing remakes of Q The Winged Serpent and The Giant Claw.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

This is probably the best chance we'll ever get at seeing remakes of Q The Winged Serpent and The Giant Claw.

If any movie never needed a remake, its Q the Winged Serpent

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You know what could use a second go? Tarantula. It's a good movie but I think there's potential for improvement.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

You know what could use a second go? Tarantula. It's a good movie but I think there's potential for improvement.

Oh, hell yes. I used to love that movie as a kid.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Gripweed posted:

The Giant Claw is at least memorable because it's not just a giant bird, but one made of antimatter!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

THEM! is still the best American made giant creature movie of it's era imo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

THEM! is still the best American made giant creature movie of it's era imo.

For sure, but The Blob isn't far behind. I also have a real soft spot for The Deadly Mantis and The Black Scorpion.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

For sure, but The Blob isn't far behind. I also have a real soft spot for The Deadly Mantis and The Black Scorpion.

I found the original Blob insanely boring but it has been a long time since I've watched it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I might be the only person who likes the original The Blob more than the remake.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

I might be the only person who likes the original The Blob more than the remake.

The actual blob itself is cooler looking in the original but the gore effects in the remake are ridiculously good so that puts it ahead in my book.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
The original Blob is like the only horror movie that my mom will watch. For contemporary audiences it's probably better approached as a comedy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Moms love Steve McQueen.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mighty Joe Young is pretty solid.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The funniest parts of OG Blob are the ridiculously jazzy theme song and the end unintentionally implying that the blob will be freed by climate change, a bit I found so funny that I really hope the next remake uses that as its hook.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The funniest parts of OG Blob are the ridiculously jazzy theme song and the end unintentionally implying that the blob will be freed by climate change, a bit I found so funny that I really hope the next remake uses that as its hook.

... unintentionally? Jesus, I thought that was the point this whole time, but you're right, I guess in 1958 it wouldn't be.

e: scientific awareness that greenhouse gases could cause the Earth to warm dates back to the 1800s, but it looks like the earliest scientific research suggesting it was actually happening would have been published the same year the movie came out, and probably not very big in the public consciousness

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 14, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Tonight's viewing: The 6 Ultra Brothers vs. The Monster Army. Halfway through I realised I actually had Gomora and Ultraseven action figures

Technically that's Mecha Gomora

Here's the Thai version, it's a different edit than the Japanese version but it at least has subtitles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m8Y97ilsNg

The whole film is something wonderful but if you're not interested in drawn out backstory and arguments with the sun god to slow down time, and a teleportation fight against a sentient magical flower, and Ultra-fied Hanuman stomping on some temple robbers at least skip to 1:12:00 for some of the goofiest kaiju battles put on film. You might have thought that the parody Ultra Family battle at the end of Big Man Japan was goofy but this film even has that beat. :v:

Mantis42 posted:

He's just big boned. :mad:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 14, 2021

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Still the second best King Kong movie by a comfortable margin.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is that the same as this movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SvfSGyJhrQ

E: Oh yea, duh its in the second videos title.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

After you see that you can go on archive.org to find Space Warriors 2000, an unauthorized cut of the movie that can’t decide between being What’s Up Tiger Lily and an earnest family movie. It aired twice on American TV before being sued into oblivion.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Tonight's viewing: The 6 Ultra Brothers vs. The Monster Army. Halfway through I realised I actually had Gomora and Ultraseven action figures

Technically that's Mecha Gomora

Here's the Thai version, it's a different edit than the Japanese version but it at least has subtitles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m8Y97ilsNg

The whole film is something wonderful but if you're not interested in drawn out backstory and arguments with the sun god to slow down time, and a teleportation fight against a sentient magical flower, and Ultra-fied Hanuman stomping on some temple robbers at least skip to 1:12:00 for some of the goofiest kaiju battles put on film. You might have thought that the parody Ultra Family battle at the end of Big Man Japan was goofy but this film even has that beat. :v:

He's just big boned. :mad:
Once you dip your toes into the pool of work belonging to Sompote Sands you're going to end up falling into the deep end of the completely mind ripping "Magic Lizard."

God help your soul because he failed to help mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxAYVxLliVU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Basebf555 posted:

The actual blob itself is cooler looking in the original but the gore effects in the remake are ridiculously good so that puts it ahead in my book.

Short of the last bit, since I view them as completely different and have no preference between the two, this is correct.

The Blob looks fantastic as a Blob in the 50s film- I also found the way it worked more disturbing than the 80s version. The 80s version dissolved you with acid, but the original CONVERTED you. You didn't dissolve, you simply became more mass for it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Hanuman and the Kamen Riders is nuts, from the robo vampire king and his blood draining machine to the giant Hanuman crushing the villains in order to send them to Hell so that they'll be executed there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOSSptr3MZo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The evil military subplot in The Blob is a pointless addition, imo. Like, you've already got the blob. The movie has established the stakes that there is a blob and it's getting bigger. So the stakes are pretty clear, the blob is going to try to gruesomely dissolve you alive and the longer the movie goes on the harder it's gonna be to get away from it. 45 minutes in going, "or, you might be shot with a gun!" is less a raising the stakes and more of a weird diversion imo

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Gripweed posted:

The evil military subplot in The Blob is a pointless addition, imo. Like, you've already got the blob. The movie has established the stakes that there is a blob and it's getting bigger. So the stakes are pretty clear, the blob is going to try to gruesomely dissolve you alive and the longer the movie goes on the harder it's gonna be to get away from it. 45 minutes in going, "or, you might be shot with a gun!" is less a raising the stakes and more of a weird diversion imo

The Evil Military subplot is a bit hokey, sure, but it fits in with one of the movie's running themes, youthful mistrust of 80s authority figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

I saw the the Turner colorization of MJY when I was a kid, even then I thought it was so bad. They made him PURPLE, what the christ??