Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So did Ishiro Honda, it all comes full circle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Has anyone gotten their start at asylum or is that where you wash up after loving up

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The weird thing about Roger Corman is that everyone who tried to follow in his footsteps just wasn't able to make trash nearly as entertaining or professional looking as his. The guy was a special talent in the world of no to low budget.

But his biggest talent was knowing where to spend his money. The Asylum probably spends more on its burnt-out meme celebrity cameos than it does on any other aspect of the production, and that's one of the reasons their movies are poo poo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd spend 90% of the budget shooting an incredible trailer, then 10% on the rest of the production. Fool 'em as much as you can, since it's not like anyone walks away from those movies satisfied anyway.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Corman came from an engineering background, and it shows. Dude knew how to optimize production, exactly how to stretch those dollars as far as they could without letting it show. As cheap as they looked, they were actually cheaper still. Dude understood that passionate newbies in the industry hungry to make their mark and actually invested in making movies are willing to work for peanuts.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He also has one of the best eyes for talent in the industry. The man's movies look great because he was willing to take chances on people he liked and knew enough to let them run with it. I wonder just how many Oscars there are between the actors and directors he's mentored.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He also has one of the best eyes for talent in the industry. The man's movies look great because he was willing to take chances on people he liked and knew enough to let them run with it. I wonder just how many Oscars there are between the actors and directors he's mentored.

Roger Corman is arguably the most influential and important person in the history of American cinema

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Roger Corman is one and the same with God.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
But is roger corman a kaiju?!

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

Passion projects take time. Mockbusters do not have the luxury of time.

"Here's ten thousand dollars and the address of my nephew Mark's cardboard box factory. Have the movie on my desk by Wednesday."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

But is roger corman a kaiju?!

He could be, that seems pretty cheap to do.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The question is simply did he pilot any of the monsters in Attack of the Crab Monsters. If yes, he is a kaiju.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Re: Godzilla SP episode 7: JESUS CHRIST OXYGEN DESTROYER MADNESS! Also Jet Jaguar Invincible! This is seriously the best G since Shin.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

hey check out what just arrived from my good friend Ron Bonk

I hope it doesn't suck

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That octopus is giving me the come hither eyes :cthulhu:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

McSpanky posted:

That octopus is giving me the come hither eyes :cthulhu:

I can’t believe I have to say this

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
Not sure if everyone is already familiar, but I've been watching this guy's documentaries on the history behind each Godzilla film and they are really interesting and well executed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixvBe2n_2ik

The amazing fact behind Godzilla vs. Biollante that I was unaware of is that it was written by a dentist and submitted through a contest for new Godzilla scripts. The release and success of Little Shop of Horrors was also potentially responsible for instilling the courage within Toho to go down the big budget monster movie path again, after the somewhat dismal box office performance of The Return of Godzilla. So we've got a dentist writing a script and a big plant monster as the big baddie..

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Awesome. It was cinemassacre's Godzillathon that got me into the series in the first place, so nice to have longer form videos about the films

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Toho Animation released a video for the full version of the Godzilla: Singular Point theme song, but be warned it might contain a few spoilers for Jet Jaguar being a total badass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXd4ZwDivsc

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DrDraxium posted:

Not sure if everyone is already familiar, but I've been watching this guy's documentaries on the history behind each Godzilla film and they are really interesting and well executed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixvBe2n_2ik

The amazing fact behind Godzilla vs. Biollante that I was unaware of is that it was written by a dentist and submitted through a contest for new Godzilla scripts. The release and success of Little Shop of Horrors was also potentially responsible for instilling the courage within Toho to go down the big budget monster movie path again, after the somewhat dismal box office performance of The Return of Godzilla. So we've got a dentist writing a script and a big plant monster as the big baddie..

Sweet, thanks for this!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well it's started to happen: Netflix Japan has put English subtitles onto Godzilla Singular Point as of the latest episode (8) which began streaming last night, so they will become available in the usual places almost immediately. Moyasubs has stated that they will continue to do their own translation and subbing nonetheless since Netflix subtitles are a gamble when it comes to accuracy and localization. They also just released their subs for episode 7.

In the series, the last 2 episodes have definitely gotten into the "poo poo has gotten real" territory. What a great show.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Are they a trusted sub group or something? Having pirated some anime with fansubs I can say they're usually too robotic sounding. I honestly literally don't care if it's an exact translation, I would rather it read like actual dialogue.

e: I'm assuming I could also VPN Japan and watch it with English subs there

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there an official release date for the US release?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Its been said as June but I don't think they've said a specific date.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Next month is all the trailer says.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

pospysyl posted:

Corman collaborated with Akira Kurosawa, he's not the same as the Asylum.

Holy poo poo!!

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Detective No. 27 posted:

My money is somewhere around June 15th as GvK comes out on Blu-Ray that day.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Billboard for Godzilla The Ride painted by Yuji Kaida!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a rundown of all the references/homages in the end credits of Godzilla: Singular Point. None of them are related to the show so there's no spoilers here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P0ziULrDlo

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Its been said as June but I don't think they've said a specific date.

They just announced the official global release date is June 24

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 20, 2021

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
Nice find! Cheers.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
The lesson taught: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep was originally meant to star King Kong, not Godzilla.

The lesson I have learned: In this movie, Godzilla is a bitter rear end in a top hat doing a sarcastic Kong impression, yelling "Look at me! Look at me! I'm a dumb loving monkey! I like human girls and I sleep like a useless shithead!" Until Mothra slaps him hard enough to get him to cut it out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SRS Cinema has a movie up for preorder that's in their Kaiju/Toku section, even though the trailer gives no hint of that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maXVS0nnKWc

But the trailer looked cool so I ordered it anyway. Guess I'll find out.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Technically, kaiju are just monsters, daikaiju are the big ones.

Here's the synopsis according to my browser's translator:

quote:

‎‎‎ Seven years ago, a monster was found deep in a coal mine in a rural town. Time passes, leaving a disturbing sign as to what the monster is. Seven years later, rumors of a plague spread in the village, and the number of people who are sick of their minds increases among the doubters. In the meanness, Kenichi, a young ascensor, becomes a mummy alive and becomes the ultimate training to save the world, and becomes a buddha、、、、、。 Kenichi wakes up to say, "Exorcise the world possessed by the monster of things."‎

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:sickos:
S.H. Monsterarts reveal of Godzilla Ultima with to-scale Jet Jaguar! Pre orders open now on the Premium Bandai Japan site.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's pretty cool looking, ngl. Can a man have too many Godzillas?

OTOH I'm pretty annoyed with the Jet Jaguar figure I found at Target. It can't really be posed and is incapable of standing up.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does that Godzilla have the longest tail?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mantis42 posted:

OTOH I'm pretty annoyed with the Jet Jaguar figure I found at Target. It can't really be posed and is incapable of standing up.

Well that just increases its screen accuracy :v:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I normally buy each 'major' variation of Godzilla Figurarts that I can but that tail is probably going to keep it out of my collection. I struggle enough to find spaces that make sense with the Heisei era tail lengths.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shiroc posted:

I normally buy each 'major' variation of Godzilla Figurarts that I can but that tail is probably going to keep it out of my collection. I struggle enough to find spaces that make sense with the Heisei era tail lengths.

It looks like the tail has at least a dozen points of articulation, just curl it up over G's shoulder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is it really a Godzilla product if storing it doesn't present a logistical problem?