Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shiroc posted:

Yeah the Heisei ones are in general not good and I don't even like Biollante much, which is why I had sold my copy but now I have everything else and its just a hole in the collection. I do like the Millenium ones overall.

If you like Biolante (the kaiju) she shows up in the 3rd season of Godziban which is streaming now unsubbed.

She has... another form as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I am a big fan of Biollante as a kaiju

The Heisei movies are 90% crushingly dull plods with some great monster designs

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nice!

And yeah I agree about the Heisei films. It was even more evident how dull they were when Guardian of The Universe came out. drat I'm glad I got that Arrow set.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Thirding that, I tried a couple of them and they were just a slog to get through. Just kept looking at the time whenever monsters weren't on screen. Biollante was cool, though, although I don't remember the fight being all that dynamic.

The most perfect run of films in the franchise's history is Godzilla vs Hedorah to Terror of Mechagodzilla :colbert:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Barry Foster posted:

The most perfect run of films in the franchise's history is Godzilla vs Hedorah to Terror of Mechagodzilla :colbert:

:hmmyes:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I absolutely love the Heisei series, but I’m also pretty sure they were my very first intro to the franchise and I have fond memories of catching them super early in the morning before school on some cable movie channel.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Barry Foster posted:

Thirding that, I tried a couple of them and they were just a slog to get through. Just kept looking at the time whenever monsters weren't on screen. Biollante was cool, though, although I don't remember the fight being all that dynamic.

The Biollante puppet was a nightmare that needed a gigantic team to move. Its a miracle that they got it to do anything.

Every Heisei one was like 20-30 minutes too long. The bit in Return of Godzilla where the Super X was very slowly tracking over to Godzilla for like 4 minutes seemed like it should have been a joke.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wish I got the figurearts Biollante instead of Destroyah. My destroyah is in the trash cause it basically exploded when it fell off a shelf and putting it together initially was a pain too. Sharp spiky tail that you have to force in and cheap brittle plastic wings.

I had the choice too and the comic book store was doing 50% off everything cause they overstocked and it was like walking into a hoarders house.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I still haven't gotten round to vs Destoroyah. The dude himself looks kinda cool in an Xtreme 90s way, but it also looks pretty dour. Like, even for a Heisei film.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Barry Foster posted:

I still haven't gotten round to vs Destoroyah. The dude himself looks kinda cool in an Xtreme 90s way, but it also looks pretty dour. Like, even for a Heisei film.

Its probably the best movie of the 90s films?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbh i only like destroyah from that era but i like it enough that it saves the decade for me

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010
I say that ‘Vs Destroyah’ is one of the best Godzilla films of any era.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
90s Burning Godzilla is one of the absolute best designs and suits.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Well fair enough then. I'll give it a shot soon!

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I watched G2000 last night and it was better than I remembered... C+! Had some interesting ideas and shots but ruined it by using PS1 demo level CGI and a real boring end fight. Orga had some cool design elements but the suit wasn't very good

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Magic Pus posted:

I say that ‘Vs Destroyah’ is one of the best Godzilla films of any era.

Ive said it before but its the only one that feels like a real sequel thematically to the original godzilla

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shiroc posted:

90s Burning Godzilla is one of the absolute best designs and suits.

Also this, burning is stupendous

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I really do not like Destoroyah and would actually put it in my bottom 5 list for the franchise, if anyone is looking for a dissenting opinion here.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
What the other 4 are would be telling of your particular Godzilla taste.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

UmOk posted:

Singular Point is good because it has several long scenes involving only a phone screen scrolling through text messages being read out load.

.... which were genuinely super important to the plot because those text messages were the only times the two main characters interacted during the entire show except for a single dialogue-free scene at the very end, and the text discussions were crucial for each of them figuring out their next moves and pushing the story forwards, and the texts themselves were rearranged to provide the key for Jet Jaguar/Pelops to activate the Orthogonal Diagonalizer to avert the Catastrophe and force Godzilla back in time to the 1950s where it died and its skeleton was stored in the underground facility where it intermittently broadcast the radio signal lullaby which contained the coded key for the text messages.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Shiroc posted:

What the other 4 are would be telling of your particular Godzilla taste.

G'98, Spacegodzilla, Mechagodzilla II, and Battle for Earth. :v:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/GodzillaS_Tokyo/status/1432630026516643841?s=20

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I love the Heisei Godzilla movies because they're what I grew up with, but the Heisei Gamera movies style on them effortlessly.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Heisei Godzilla vs King Ghidorah is amazing for this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYT3TdYYHkU and the 'all of the white people are just jealous of Japan's inevitable and glorious rise to dominant superpower' bubble era plot.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shiroc posted:

Heisei Godzilla vs King Ghidorah is amazing for this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYT3TdYYHkU and the 'all of the white people are just jealous of Japan's inevitable and glorious rise to dominant superpower' bubble era plot.

And if anyone is wondering: yes, this film was released about 5 months after Terminator 2. :v:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Heisei movies are hit or miss but Biollante and King Ghidorah '91 are absolutely two of my favorites from any era. Pretty great suits and effects across the board too. But yes the Heisei Gamera trilogy kinda eats their lunch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A bit late but I’m finally watching Pacific Rim: The Black and holy poo poo this has some real hecking whiplash with the tone between a safe and almost silly story of kids + jaeger against kaijus then immediately doing poo poo like (episode 1 end) the girl directly leading a kaiju to her village and it killing EVERYONE or tech guy passing a message along to Mae after she had stopped the kids form killing the guy made from the same mold as the bad guy in GvK. Then you have some dumb decisions like surprise this is a training jaeger with no weapons so it’s been like 5 episode with a total of… 1 fight? More like 2 beatdowns by the kaiju

So yeah weird show but it’s not terribly animated and the voice acting is… good? Might as well finish it at this point now that they somewhat referenced my boy Herc

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
The scene in Biollante where the kids hold up their drawings is one of the best moments in any Godzilla film, some real "the power of cinema" poo poo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A bit late but I’m finally watching Pacific Rim: The Black and holy poo poo this has some real hecking whiplash with the tone between a safe and almost silly story of kids + jaeger against kaijus then immediately doing poo poo like (episode 1 end) the girl directly leading a kaiju to her village and it killing EVERYONE or tech guy passing a message along to Mae after she had stopped the kids form killing the guy made from the same mold as the bad guy in GvK. Then you have some dumb decisions like surprise this is a training jaeger with no weapons so it’s been like 5 episode with a total of… 1 fight? More like 2 beatdowns by the kaiju

So yeah weird show but it’s not terribly animated and the voice acting is… good? Might as well finish it at this point now that they somewhat referenced my boy Herc

The last episode is frustrating because it has the first entertaining fight of the series and starts going in a very dumb and entertaining direction that makes all the Bogan poo poo that took up the bulk of the season even more boring in comparison.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jetto Jagga posted:

The scene in Biollante where the kids hold up their drawings is one of the best moments in any Godzilla film, some real "the power of cinema" poo poo

This, and the shot where a floodlight scans across Biollante in her first form and reveals that her head is a rose with a mouth full of sharp teeth in the center. It’s like if Bunuel made a kaiju film.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Biollante is one of the better photographed kaiju films, it’s got a unique look and feel. The composite shots are especially well done.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoZJRtFr1MM

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sad news

https://twitter.com/pgalvan91/status/1433815019746123776?s=21

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Jetto Jagga posted:

I spent so much of my childhood thinking that Godzilla was dead. In Australia, my local video store only had Godzilla 1984 (Return of Godzilla), I still watched it over and over but usually skipped the ending because it was too heartbreaking. Then our local foreign media channel (SBS) aired Godzilla vs. Biollante. I watched it, slowly realised that it was a sequel to Godzilla 1984 and started going bunta.

That scene where the kids throw up the drawings gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. I love that movie.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
The scene where Biollante shows up for the final fight in its film with the gold space dust and localized earthquake and the insane vines leading into that horrifying pissed off mother nature roar and that incredible wide shot where Godzilla is just utterly dwarfed in comparison to this thing is basically the most awesome pro-wrestling PPV main event entrance for a kaiju movie ever, just a notch above Iris descending from the clouds and making thunder as it touches down from the end of the third Heisei Gamera movie. gently caress that poo poo rules. Gets me hype every time.

Final form Destoroyah's WWE Kane entrance is cool too.

Godzilla showing up flanked by the US armed forces in KotM is also some Wrestlemania quality poo poo.

Final fight introductions are some of my favorite scenes in these movies. There's just something so mythic about them when they're done well. Anyone else have any favorites? I feel like binging.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Desumaytah posted:

Final fight introductions are some of my favorite scenes in these movies. There's just something so mythic about them when they're done well. Anyone else have any favorites? I feel like binging.

Godzilla vs Megalon, no poo poo, I love it when Jet Jaguar's getting his rear end beat and Godzilla calls out and we cut to the man himself marching across the barren waste to the rescue and that loving goofy rear end spaghetti western music swells up

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The big march of the monsters in DAM is great, especially the announcer mistaking Minilla for Godzilla somehow.

Also the way Gigan and King Ghidorah are introduced in Godzilla vs. Gigan. The long pullback from Earth to the crystal and fireball side by side, cool stuff.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It's not final fight, but I love Godzilla's first appearance in Terror of Mechagodzilla. First his shadowy sillouhette appearing behind a building, then Titanosaurus getting hit with the breath before an explosion lights up Godzilla's astoundingly grumpy face. It's sick.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Maxwell Lord posted:

The big march of the monsters in DAM is great, especially the announcer mistaking Minilla for Godzilla somehow.

Also the way Gigan and King Ghidorah are introduced in Godzilla vs. Gigan. The long pullback from Earth to the crystal and fireball side by side, cool stuff.

Still annoys me that in his titular film Gigan had to share his introduction screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Karloff posted:

It's not final fight, but I love Godzilla's first appearance in Terror of Mechagodzilla. First his shadowy sillouhette appearing behind a building, then Titanosaurus getting hit with the breath before an explosion lights up Godzilla's astoundingly grumpy face. It's sick.

Oh hell yeah. I love the brief little scuffle Godzilla and Titanosaurus have at one point in that movie, too, the dark shot with the panning camera and the Ifukube score. It's super atmospheric.

Oh! The fact that King Caesar gets an entire musical number in MG74 before he wakes up and gets the absolute poo poo kicked out of him is hilarious to me. The whole plot was basically about him and when he finally shows up he's barely even a factor in the final battle. Poor guy.

Monster X transforming into Keizer Ghidorah at the end of Final Wars is a fun scene, too. Even though I think that Ghidorah design is ugly and clumsy and just really does not work at all.