Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Desumaytah posted:

The scene where Biollante shows up for the final fight in its film with the gold space dust and localized earthquake and the insane vines leading into that horrifying pissed off mother nature roar and that incredible wide shot where Godzilla is just utterly dwarfed in comparison to this thing is basically the most awesome pro-wrestling PPV main event entrance for a kaiju movie ever, just a notch above Iris descending from the clouds and making thunder as it touches down from the end of the third Heisei Gamera movie. gently caress that poo poo rules. Gets me hype every time.

Final form Destoroyah's WWE Kane entrance is cool too.

Godzilla showing up flanked by the US armed forces in KotM is also some Wrestlemania quality poo poo.

Final fight introductions are some of my favorite scenes in these movies. There's just something so mythic about them when they're done well. Anyone else have any favorites? I feel like binging.

Final Wars has some of the best scenes of Big G just clowning on monsters, bit this scene has to be my absolute favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I still love Final Wars but the older I get the less and less I like specifically it's version of Godzilla, with how quickly and effortlessly it chumps most of the other monsters in the movie being a huge part of that as it doesn't really elevate Godzilla as a monster it just makes everyone else look worse

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Gripweed posted:

Still annoys me that in his titular film Gigan had to share his introduction screen.

He's called king for a reason.

Gigan is a chump and never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Xguard86 posted:

He's called king for a reason.

Gigan is a chump and never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

as opposed to ghidorah, who's never won a single fight across the entire franchise

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

I still love Final Wars but the older I get the less and less I like specifically it's version of Godzilla, with how quickly and effortlessly it chumps most of the other monsters in the movie being a huge part of that as it doesn't really elevate Godzilla as a monster it just makes everyone else look worse

I think in comparison to American Godzilla movies, and most Godzilla movies that don't really resonate with me, it has reasons to watch the movie besides waiting for Godzilla to do something, since if you're not into that there's also this dumb Japanese Matrix ripoff with Don Frye. It's certainly nothing remarkable but it's one of my favorite dumb movies.

I also like Shin Godzilla, because it's basically a Godzilla procedural.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HannibalBarca posted:

as opposed to ghidorah, who's never won a single fight across the entire franchise

MY KING pretty thoroughly owns Godzilla in King of the Monsters

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I think in comparison to American Godzilla movies, and most Godzilla movies that don't really resonate with me, it has reasons to watch the movie besides waiting for Godzilla to do something, since if you're not into that there's also this dumb Japanese Matrix ripoff with Don Frye. It's certainly nothing remarkable but it's one of my favorite dumb movies.

As someone who was simultaneously into Kaiju films and Pride/K-1 at the time, this was an amazing combination. And still is.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timby posted:

MY KING pretty thoroughly owns Godzilla in King of the Monsters

He owned everyone in KotM, that movie certainly didn't lack in making the villain a credible threat.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
So, yesterday I decided to read the script of the cancelled 1994 Godzilla. This was supposed to be Tristar bringing Godzilla to the West. Jan de Bont (Twister, Speed) was ready to direct and there are some cool monster designs out there for it. Toho was on board, everything seemed to go smooth, and then the studio pulled the plug because they thought the film would be too expensive. They gave the project to Roland Emmerich, who ended up spending even more money and tossed everything out the window to replace it with his own ideas.

It's a shame, because the script is really cool. It strikes a nice balance between classic Godzilla (alien monsters, massive fights) and nineties disaster flicks. They came up with a strong original monster (the Gryphon, a freakshow combination between a mountain lion and a bat with snakes for tongues), cool set pieces (human characters dangling from a helicopter to blow up a restraining device that holds Godzilla back while hell breaks out around them, a small desert town being tormented by seemingly biblical plagues before its wiped of the map by a giant monster) and manage to strike a nice balance between Godzilla as a hero and a terrifying presence, by making him a dinosaur who is tasked with protecting the world from aliens who is too large to notice humans at all.

There's a few parts that aged terribly, like the joke about a pilot eying up a fifteen year old girl and Godzilla causing 9/11, but what mostly struck me is how much of this script got used in the MonsterVerse films. The ancient civilization, Godzilla crashing the Golden Gate Bridge, the scientist mother who is almost consumed by revenge, her calmer, rebellious daughter and a final fight where Godzilla decapitates his opponent by blasting them in the mouth are all iconic elements from the newer films that are present here.

It also confuses me why Emmerich decided to trash the entire script, because it has all the themes that he loves to work with. Ancient aliens, a slow moving apocalypse, natural disasters and secret military bases and shadowy government operatives are supposed to be his bread and butter, way more than "lizard lays eggs in New York City".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sobatchja Morda posted:

So, yesterday I decided to read the script of the cancelled 1994 Godzilla. This was supposed to be Tristar bringing Godzilla to the West. Jan de Bont (Twister, Speed) was ready to direct and there are some cool monster designs out there for it. Toho was on board, everything seemed to go smooth, and then the studio pulled the plug because they thought the film would be too expensive. They gave the project to Roland Emmerich, who ended up spending even more money and tossed everything out the window to replace it with his own ideas.

It's a shame, because the script is really cool. It strikes a nice balance between classic Godzilla (alien monsters, massive fights) and nineties disaster flicks. They came up with a strong original monster (the Gryphon, a freakshow combination between a mountain lion and a bat with snakes for tongues), cool set pieces (human characters dangling from a helicopter to blow up a restraining device that holds Godzilla back while hell breaks out around them, a small desert town being tormented by seemingly biblical plagues before its wiped of the map by a giant monster) and manage to strike a nice balance between Godzilla as a hero and a terrifying presence, by making him a dinosaur who is tasked with protecting the world from aliens who is too large to notice humans at all.

There's a few parts that aged terribly, like the joke about a pilot eying up a fifteen year old girl and Godzilla causing 9/11, but what mostly struck me is how much of this script got used in the MonsterVerse films. The ancient civilization, Godzilla crashing the Golden Gate Bridge, the scientist mother who is almost consumed by revenge, her calmer, rebellious daughter and a final fight where Godzilla decapitates his opponent by blasting them in the mouth are all iconic elements from the newer films that are present here.

It also confuses me why Emmerich decided to trash the entire script, because it has all the themes that he loves to work with. Ancient aliens, a slow moving apocalypse, natural disasters and secret military bases and shadowy government operatives are supposed to be his bread and butter, way more than "lizard lays eggs in New York City".

It cannot be overstated how much he and Dean Devilin hated Godzilla and the core concept of kaiju as a genre.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Someone in Japan is doing this for their own entertainment- making our dream match come true

https://twitter.com/delta_area/status/1433223833738043394?s=20

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

HannibalBarca posted:

Showa Ghidorah beat Zone Fighter, once. Gigan's one victory is soloing Jet Jaguar offscreen in vs Megalon, and while I love Jet Jaguar as much as the next guy, Zone Fighter he is not.

He might have actually won in Monster Zero, too. He's the only monster who came out of the sea at the end, which is exactly how Toho showed us that Kong had beaten Godzilla after their big fight a few movies prior. I imagine Ghidorah just chose to gently caress off from Earth after the Xians all blew up because, I mean, the dude had certainly had a day.

And he beat Rainbow Mothra in the third Heisei Mothra film.

Other than that, yeah. I think It's just Rodan and Mothra in KotM. I guess he won a fight with Biollante in a comic at one point? Maybe he kicked some rear end in that one show with all the action figures.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Desumaytah posted:

Showa Ghidorah beat Zone Fighter, once. Gigan's one victory is soloing Jet Jaguar offscreen in vs Megalon, and while I love Jet Jaguar as much as the next guy, Zone Fighter he is not.

He might have actually won in Monster Zero, too. He's the only monster who came out of the sea at the end, which is exactly how Toho showed us that Kong had beaten Godzilla after their big fight a few movies prior. I imagine Ghidorah just chose to gently caress off from Earth after the Xians all blew up because, I mean, the dude had certainly had a day.

And he beat Rainbow Mothra in the third Heisei Mothra film.

Other than that, yeah. I think It's just Rodan and Mothra in KotM. I guess he won a fight with Biollante in a comic at one point? Maybe he kicked some rear end in that one show with all the action figures.

Half Century War had him and Gigan murder all the other Kaiju besides Godzilla(and maybe Mothra I'd have to double check) offscreen

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Has anybody ever done artwork of Godzilla smoking weed and his back spikes look like weed leaves?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Have Hedorah smoking a bong instead of a smokestack.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Cercueil posted:

Have Hedorah smoking a bong instead of a smokestack.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRQ2emdj538/?utm_medium=copy_link

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's not as cool as it was in my head :(

Now that's more like it

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Does anyone here have that silly "Yes Chad" meme with the sad faced new and old Star Wars fans arguing that their star wars is stupid and the Old/New Godzilla fan chads saying that their G movies are stupid and saying "yes" to it? I thought I saw it here before...

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

On the Emmerich Godzilla, I can’t remember if this has been posted ITT before, but it’s a funny story. The article I had bookmarked appears to be gone or has moved, but luckily I pasted some text from it into a Godzilla discord a couple years back:

quote:

‘’’With the studio’s blessing, Emmerich and Devlin began developing their take on what an American Godzilla should be. Once that was decided on, the duo would make their pitch to Toho. “We had been warned by Jan De Bont that if you want to make the slightest change to Godzilla, you meet enormous resistance [from Toho],” Devlin said. “That’s been part of the problem with getting any of these films done. And Roland and I didn’t want to do slight changes, we wanted a complete overhaul.”19 But the producer was confident they would win Toho over, stating, “So whatever direction we go we’re going to have to get approval from them. But we are very optimistic they’re going to like the direction we’re going.”20

Emmerich believed that the design for the Toho Godzilla “didn’t make sense”.
“The Japanese want to have it looking exactly like Godzilla because they own the trademark,” Roland Emmerich explained.21 But the director wasn’t interested in that, saying, “The original, how Godzilla looked, didn’t make sense to me.”’’’

Now this part is about Emmerich and his art designer going to Tokyo for a meeting with Toho execs, to show them their new concept of Godzilla:

quote:

With Emmerich’s introduction out of the way, Tatopoulos unveiled his Godzilla artwork and maquette. It was met with a gasp from the Toho execs, followed by stone silence. “After designing my last Godzilla, the one that wound up in the movie, I felt very secure and I believed we had something great. But the day I sat in front of the Japanese I thought, ‘what have I done? Am I crazy? They’re not going to go for it’,” Tatopoulos worried.

“They were speechless,” Emmerich recalled. “They stared at it, and there was silence for a couple minutes, and then they said, ‘Could you come back tomorrow?’ I thought for sure we didn’t have the movie then.”

“It was so different we realized we couldn’t make small adjustments,” Shogo Tomiyama disclosed. “That left the major question of whether to approve it or not.” That night, Tomiyama visited Godzilla co-creator Tomoyuki Tanaka, whose failing health had prevented him from attending the meeting, to bring him up to speed. Tomiyama wasn’t allowed to remove any design art or photos from the studio premises, and found himself at a loss when describing the Tatopoulos Godzilla to Tanaka. “I told him, ‘It’s similar to Carl Lewis, with long legs, and it runs fast’

AHH, I found the article. This links goes to part 4 but the whole thing is worth a read for G-Fans:

https://www.scifijapan.com/godzilla-toho/godzilla-unmade-the-history-of-jan-de-bonts-unproduced-tristar-film-part-4-of-4

e: I feel like I ask this about once a year, but is there any news about Toho rereleasing Vs Biollante? I just did my every-few-month check on Amazon, and if you want it on BluRay there are still just three vendors to purchase from and the lowest is $189 plus shipping.

If you settle for DVD it’s $50

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 15, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ut, found it

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

MrMojok posted:

e: I feel like I ask this about once a year, but is there any news about Toho rereleasing Vs Biollante? I just did my every-few-month check on Amazon, and if you want it on BluRay there are still just three vendors to purchase from and the lowest is $189 plus shipping.

If you settle for DVD it’s $50

Nothing as far as I know. Some people have speculated that Toho is letting all of the Heisei licenses revert to them over the next few years so that they can do a re-release of the whole series, but (again) that's only speculative. And I'm also not sure who (if anyone) would be chomping at the bit to work with the notoriously difficult Toho to release a series that has, at best, a dubious financial upside. I myself yield to no one in terms of obsessive Godzilla fandom, but you'd have to really pull out all the stops to make me consider springing for a Heisei set given how little I enjoy those movies on average. It would take something on the level of the Arrrow Video Gamera set in terms of production and special features for me to bite, and basically nothing about the past 10-12 years of Toho's overseas home video distribution practices make me think that's even remotely in the cards.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Lmao Devlin and Emmerich also claimed that the Japanese filmmakers were just too stupid to figure out stop motion animation like Willis O'Brien which is why they "had" to use a man in a suit for the original Godzilla. Racist morons.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jetto Jagga posted:

Lmao Devlin and Emmerich also claimed that the Japanese filmmakers were just too stupid to figure out stop motion animation like Willis O'Brien which is why they "had" to use a man in a suit for the original Godzilla. Racist morons.

This is why there will never be a softening on that movie.

The character, the kaiju, sure. But that movie in particular? It's in the gently caress off forever category and I do not consider it fundamentally a kaiju film.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Bizarrely, my Japanese 'complete set' (up to KotM) of Godzilla posters included one for that movie.

Unrelated, I just think these ones are cool

I know the US had the blue Godzilla one but did the Ghidorah one get used outside of Japan?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Was there ever a Japanese release of Godzilla 98 that had a Japanese dub track?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shiroc posted:

Bizarrely, my Japanese 'complete set' (up to KotM) of Godzilla posters included one for that movie.

The movie would've been so much better if Godzilla actually was that big

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Shiroc posted:

I know the US had the blue Godzilla one but did the Ghidorah one get used outside of Japan?

I think that particular arrangement (with the weird backwards profile shot of Godzilla) was a Japan-only poster.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Godzilla 98 is a pretty good Aliens vs Jurassic Park crossover that happens to be called 'zilla'

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I was gonna say, it pretty much is the "Aliens but on Earth" movie that gets hypothesized every so often.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Schwarzwald posted:

I was gonna say, it pretty much is the "Aliens but on Earth" movie that gets hypothesized every so often.

That's Godzilla vs Destroyah

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sure love Destoroyah. Catching up on the earlier Heisei talk, the three I love are Biollante, Mecha, and Destoroyah. Those three I rewatch and they're some of my fav Godzilla movies.

Overall, even though I only love say half of that total run, I like those particular movies as much as any G movie. And the Millennium series are favs too. I loved watching every Showa one back in high school, my friend lent me his subbed tapes. But the slower or less top tier ones there I don't see myself rewatching much. So I don't rate Heisei lower myself. Plus I just think that is the coolest version of Godzilla, with the most mystique. That look from Biollante on is the definitive DaiKaiju oh yes.

Agreed 90s Gams is right up there of course.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 20, 2021

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’ve been a big G-fan since grade school, and I love giant monster movies in general.

So this isn’t really the thread for this, and it’s more than a little embarrassing, but I had never seen Cloverfield, until tonight.

I’d heard a lot about it, but for reasons I can’t explain, I just never watched it.

Man, I was really impressed. I got pretty burned out on the found footage thing way back, but it really worked in this.

Can’t believe they did this with a $25 million budget.

What were everyone’s thoughts on this film? And also, I understand the sequels are pretty much unrelated to this, and not very good?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
they're not even sequels, it's just the word "Cloverfield" randomly inserted into the titles of a bunch of mostly unremarkable sci-fi

10 Cloverfield Lane is good but not because of any connection whatsoever

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The most recent one did some work to better connect them all but yeah there's definitely room for improvement

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I thought both Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane were pretty excellent.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

The most recent one did some work to better connect them all but yeah there's definitely room for improvement

Incidently all that poo poo was the worst part of it. The part that was just weird space stuff was alright

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I know this is beyond hypocritical in this thread but i kinda hate how every new big budget movie feels like its trying to make a big shared universe instead of just making a movie

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

I know this is beyond hypocritical in this thread but i kinda hate how every new big budget movie feels like its trying to make a big shared universe instead of just making a movie

I pretty much agree. It doesn't really count towards G films since they've always been that way, but new movies trying to do "the Marvel formula" is not working.

I thought Cloverfield was neat but I was tired of all of the real world mystery mcguffins that their marketing did before the movie even came out. I saw 10 Cloverfield Lane and thought it was ok but will never put effort into watching it again. I think I might have seen the third movie but I couldn't tell you anything about it whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Iirc the third one was a bad attempt at doing event horizon