Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They were trying so hard to be funny. From memory GvK was not this annoying whatsoever. Like straight up serious scenes are cut by the randomest of quips and jokes. Tonal whiplash all over the place.

It's not hard to imagine it being a Roland Emmerich movie, at least script-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The guy from Early Edition is the worst character in any Godzilla movie.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Gripweed posted:

He knows about wolves though and this helps because reasons

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Lmao new season is gonna be great (more kaiju joining the cast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR3EwyBFrAs

I can’t wait to get more of Hedo-San talking about how pathetic humanity is.

The fact that the VA for Hedo-San is Akainu and Raoh (in Ken’s Rage) is just so funny to me.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Non Compos Mentis posted:

He knows about wolves though and this helps because reasons

Coach Eric Taylor does his best with the material given. But Middleditch and that other scientist dude on the ship who according to Wikipedia at least is modeled after Rick from Rick and morty are so much worse.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Every day he gets the headline "Godzilla destroys Tokyo". There is nothing he can do, so it's just kind of a bummer, which is why he's so eager to take his suffering out on the viewers.

Finally saw Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla 2, and there's not much I can add that wasn't covered by the discussion upthread. That said, I do kind of respect the film for pretty much instantly getting to the main pitch. The government is making a giant robot to kill Godzilla. The protagonist made the previous robot to kill Godzilla, but because it's not made with technology from the future nobody respects him. That is deep Heisei, and the film doesn't skip a beat in getting there.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just rewatched Godzilla KOTM. Holy poo poo I forgot how loving annoying the script was. They were trying so hard to be funny. From memory GvK was not this annoying whatsoever. Like straight up serious scenes are cut by the randomest of quips and jokes. Tonal whiplash all over the place.

Even the best scene (Rodans) had some cuts showing off the comical reactions of everyone on the flying ship. It was annoying I agree.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rhonne posted:

They look like they're about to cut a coked up wrestling promo.

You tell me that's not perfect energy.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I went to a screening and there's a wrestling move in the movie. During the Q&A, Wingard said he wants to put a Stone Cold Stunner in the next one

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Dr Tran posted:

I went to a screening and there's a wrestling move in the movie. During the Q&A, Wingard said he wants to put a Stone Cold Stunner in the next one

Hopefully he doesn't get the chance.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

GxK opinions

Overall it was pretty mediocre, definitely the worst Monsterverse film so far, nevertheless I don't regret seeing big monke and giant lizard in the cinema.

The script was complete chaos, all sorts of plotlines tripping over each other, and Mothra and Godzilla were shoehorned into what was clearly a story about Kong first and foremost. Everyone was right of course about the problems with scale in the Hollow Earth. However the biggest problem with the film was simply that it failed to sell me on the villains. After Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla and the Skull Crawlers, it was just too hard to feel like the characters or the world were seriously threatened by... a skinny version of Kong and a rejected character design from How To Train Your Dragon.

All that said, I still enjoyed the fights, and I laughed when Scar King punted that one monkey straight into the lava.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Sailor Viy posted:

GxK opinions

Overall it was pretty mediocre, definitely the worst Monsterverse film so far, nevertheless I don't regret seeing big monke and giant lizard in the cinema.

The script was complete chaos, all sorts of plotlines tripping over each other, and Mothra and Godzilla were shoehorned into what was clearly a story about Kong first and foremost. Everyone was right of course about the problems with scale in the Hollow Earth. However the biggest problem with the film was simply that it failed to sell me on the villains. After Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla and the Skull Crawlers, it was just too hard to feel like the characters or the world were seriously threatened by... a skinny version of Kong and a rejected character design from How To Train Your Dragon.

All that said, I still enjoyed the fights, and I laughed when Scar King punted that one monkey straight into the lava.

Haven’t seen it but that pretty much matches my expectations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Dr Tran posted:

Giving me very strong Blade II vibes, a film that I wish had gone about 5000x harder on that specific aesthetic. Not sure if I'd agree for G though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dr Tran posted:

Someone please jingle some keys in front of Wingard and get him invested in a different franchise already

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The lack of G vs Megalon flying kick in the Legendary movies is shameful :colbert:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/rottentomatoes/status/1773387751741633040?s=57&t=Hnw2jzlgbMmRtwBud7jTvw

Uh…. Nice? All the reactions I’ve read have used showa, fun, a ride, entertaining, etc. not one has called the movie good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The "Tomatometer Reveal". What a slurry.

Did you know that Google TVs show the TomatoRatings for every piece of media in their system, and you can't turn it off?

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Dr Tran posted:

Not going to ask which move it is but kaiju movies and pro wrestling go way back and are perfect for one another. Dunno if I want to see Kong do a shooting-star press or Godzilla putting Shimo in the sharpshooter. Actually, I want to see both of those things.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

incredible blood donor tshirt currently

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Saw it. Overall I thought it was trash. Not even fun trash. Pacing issues all over the place. It was obvious they knew the human stuff wasn't good and just rushed through every scene but then it still felt like it took too long. Also they had two fights against water snake monsters back to back. Couldn't they have changed one of those up a little? Make Kong fight a big flying guy instead.

Scale of the monsters was just as much a problem as people thought it would be.

Even in the Cairo and Rio battles it felt wrong. We never really saw people. It didn't feel like they were fighting in a city. Just fighting around some building shaped objects.

Story was bad. Villian didn't feel like a big threat. Just an ape who was a bad leader. Not at all like Ghidorah or MechaGodzilla. Human stuff was rushed, as I sad before, but also failed to help set up any stakes. The exposition was rushed and was almost all Dr. Andrews talking while the cast of Hollow Earth natives had no lines in the entire film.

Music was bad too. Classic themes were out (maybe the smallest hint of one). They were trying and failing to be Guardians of the Galaxy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hollow earth natives? There’s no way that concept was handled well.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
The movie would've made a bit more sense without Godzilla in it. Story was a mess, some scene sequences and plot points made no sense, and the human parts sucked.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
just wanna say thanks to supermechagodzilla and others itt for softening me on the heisei films, been rewatching them and appreciating them more this time around

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Zero One posted:

Also they had two fights against water snake monsters back to back. Couldn't they have changed one of those up a little? Make Kong fight a big flying guy instead.

This part was so bad lol. They even did the exact same beats at the end of the fight. It was like someone copied and pasted the same scene twice at some point during script development, and then someone else just picked it up and rolled with it.

Actually a lot of the movie felt like they took a rough draft of the script and said "gently caress it, film it".

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Agreed it felt rushed and not fully baked. Tiamat felt like it could have been an epic battle that was over way too quick and was a cool monster and concept. The villain was few steps below what came before.

I did have fun with it though and there's good stuff in there. Dan Stevens is fun. People in my theater were clapping at the end and it was sold out. Godzilla 2014 is still the best out of all of them with Kong Skull Island a quick follow. I liked King of the Monsters too.

I do wish we'd get something more akin to G2014 for a sequel and hope there will be one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This movie kicked rear end.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Insipid. Doubt I'll remember a thing about this in a week.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, kinda figured after shooting their load with Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla they'd ran out of ideas.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, kinda figured after shooting their load with Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla they'd ran out of ideas.

It's time for Monsterverse Gigan

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bring in the aliens from planet x

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Time to break the glass behind which is the label 'Jet Jaguar'

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skar king was cool. He had a lot of personality and was pretty threatening. Pretty good villain

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I'm surprised at the responses here. Don't get me wrong, it's crap, but it's gold-plated crap. I hate the direction they took the franchise post-Skull Island, but what's done is done, and of the three poo poo-iverse movies, this is easily my favorite.

Wingard doesn't have the eye to match any of the best visuals as KoM, but the pace is brisk and the movie knows what it is. I'd compare it to Rampage, a dumb-rear end movie that knows it's a dumb-rear end movie and runs with it. The volume of big dumb monster fights is high and the goofy pseudo-science doesn't feel as stupid or intrusive, stupid as it is. And the Emmerich-like humor is waaaay down. It's still as unfunny as the last two movies, but it's not constant like in GvK.

Favorite moments:
My 13 year old Godzilla nut: Kong using baby Kong as a loving club.
Me: At the site of a wrecked Monarch outpost in Hollow Earth, someone says, "What could have done this?" Why yes, what, in this entire land of gigantic, aggressive monsters, could possibly have caused this destruction? I laughed out loud.

bigfatdynamo
May 10, 2016

When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.
cutie baby kong :3

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ah man, I'm struggling to find the energy to drag myself to a cinema for this one. Maybe I'll catch a screening early next week

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I saw a clip on youtube which looked legit, but did it really end with Kong giving Shimo chin scratches and Godzilla going for a nap?

thepokey fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 29, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

thepokey posted:

I saw a clip on youtube which looked legit, but did it really end with Kong giving Shimo chin scratches and Godzilla going for a nap?

Yeah. It was cute

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

thepokey posted:

The best part about the nap is that much earlier in the movie, he takes a nap in the same spot (the Coliseum in Rome) after kicking another titan's rear end. He returns to it after the final battle, so Godzilla has chosen one of the world's great historic sites as his personal doggie bed.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

frankly, who's gonna tell big G he can't use the Coliseum as a big Fort Warms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

frankly, who's gonna tell big G he can't use the Coliseum as a big Fort Warms?

King Caesar, obviously.