Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It sounds like the Age of Exploration but instead of conquistadors it's kaiju and instead of smallpox and brutal oppression it's atomic breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Low Desert Punk posted:

Do any goons go to G-Fest in Chicago? I've went every year for the past 3 years, so many fun Godzilla panels from authors and crew.

I wish I could go. I'd even make a costume for the cosplay parade but I live on the wrong side of the planet. :smith:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

New trailer out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dF83zsTIMQ

The scream from G14 is there. I loving love that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The animation doesn't seem as bad as Japanese CG can get, which is reassuring.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/CINRANET/status/882873067369660416

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Vintersorg posted:

New trailer out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dF83zsTIMQ

The scream from G14 is there. I loving love that.

So I know I want a closer look at that green 10 foot tall ish monster seen very briefly in the clip.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
That looks really, really cheap.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Welcome to CG anime. Like I said, this is actually a bit better looking than most I've seen.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's the people that made Transformers Prime, so I'm not surprised it looks decent.

It does make me fear for there being too many unique kaiju though. But Godzilla actually looks pretty good in it, so who knows

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Szmitten posted:

That looks really, really cheap.

Anime.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Burkion posted:

It's the people that made Transformers Prime, so I'm not surprised it looks decent.

It does make me fear for there being too many unique kaiju though. But Godzilla actually looks pretty good in it, so who knows

i personally want my anime about kaiju taking over the world to have lots of kaiju

i also hope godzilla wins

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's basically Kong: Skull Island but an entire planet

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

i personally want my anime about kaiju taking over the world to have lots of kaiju

i also hope godzilla wins

I should clarify because I realize I wrote that in an ambiguous way

What I meant was- I fear that there won't BE that many unique kaiju.

This is true of almost every 3D production, but especially of these guys in particular. Unique models are hard work and they almost never just make one unique model and then never reuse it in some capacity.

In Transformers Prime, the cast was very, very small because they simply didn't have the budget to make that many unique characters, and they would take any excuse they could to reuse a model they already had for a new purpose. It also had the bad guys have loads and loads of identical looking foot soldiers, both the robot bad guys and human bad guys, just to do that.

So I'm a bit worried we're going to get a bunch of mass produced monsters that are just recolors of one another

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh, okay i get you now burkion. my hope is that all the budget goes to kaiju animations, designs, and fights and the human segments are all the last 2 episodes of evangelion

not even the slightest bit sarcastic, pseudo-intellectual musings on the nature of kaiju interspersed with high octane godzilla fighting would own

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am 100% down with that my friend

We'll know soon enough!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Godzilla is really neat
He is filled with lots of meat

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Godzilla is really neat
He is filled with lots of meat

Well yeah, what do you think he does with the other kaiju after he beats them?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/kongskullisland/status/885166877147660288

I take the creature found on the Volcano is meant to be Rodan?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Monster Zero was a nice touch.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://twitter.com/kongskullisland/status/885166877147660288

I take the creature found on the Volcano is meant to be Rodan?

Rodan, Mothra, Ghidorah.

Assuming this came from some where official, we now know where we're going to see these guys.

We can also piece together that Godzilla and Ghidorah threw down in Caveman times and it ended with Godzilla burying Ghidorah beneath the Arctic.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

If you look close it talks about more kong stuff too, like a rogue monarch agent returning to the island in 95 to find kong.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The Australian edition of the blu ray is shipping a out a week early, time to get excited.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vct7nZRdXtw

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Choco1980 posted:

If you look close it talks about more kong stuff too, like a rogue monarch agent returning to the island in 95 to find kong.

Not just a rogue agent, Brooks' son (named Aaron).Apparently the mission goes horribly wrong because we don't hear from them for 17 years until Aaron contacts Houston (from the island?) with a coded message about Kong's origins.

Mothra is a cocoon in China, Ghidorah is frozen, Rodan chilling in a volcano. The timeline has a mention of a MUTO dig site in Afghanistan but I don't think there's any particular kanji tied to that area?

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 13, 2017

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

King Ceaser.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“Vintersorg”" post="“474322619”"]
King Ceaser.
[/quote]

King Caesar secretly showing up in Godzilla 2 or Godzilla vs Kong would be loving incredible.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Mothra is a cocoon in China, Ghidorah is frozen, Rodan chilling in a volcano. The timeline has a mention of a MUTO dig site in Afghanistan but I don't think there's any particular kanji tied to that area?

These elemental themes are making me think that the new flick is gonna hue closer to GMK.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There’s a 2nd timeline video on that twitter account. There’s an entry on 1959 about a Monarch containment facility established/spotted on Siberia.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Turns out the '95 entry is a reference to the tie in comic. And this was also spotted

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Turns out the '95 entry is a reference to the tie in comic. And this was also spotted

How were you able to zoom in on that so legibly?? Also what do the other pre 91 entries say? 1954 is a conspicuous date. Also what is the 2013 log entry?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Choco1980 posted:

How were you able to zoom in on that so legibly?? Also what do the other pre 91 entries say? 1954 is a conspicuous date. Also what is the 2013 log entry?

I found it on 4chan actually. They've just managed to isolate the Mothra entry

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Best I could do with all of them. If you see [...] it's because I couldn't make it out or it isn't visible at all.

Splitting the Atom
Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity ultimately leads to the splitting of the atom and the dawn of the atomic age.
This epoch-defining stage in human evolution will act as a beacon that awakens ancient superspecies sustained by nuclear energy.

The U.S.S. Lawton Incident
[...] survivor. Haunted by the memory of that day, Randa will go on to become one of MONARCH's foremost operatives, searching for the truth behind the ancient creatures that exist beneath the surface of our world.

MONARCH Founded
In the aftermath and cover-up of the U.S.S. Lawton incident, President Truman unofficially establishes "MONARCH Unit", A small, off-book research team established to engage in the systematic study of "Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organisms". Privately, many of Truman's allies question the validity of the group's theories and work to keep their existence a secret.

The Great Smog of London
Baffling meteorologists and defying [...] this unexplained weather phenomenon [...] overwhelmed by huge clouds of air-pollution [...] MONARCH theorizes that the beating [...] could have created an anticyclone th[...] pollutants across the city.

Siberian Mystery

Mission: Skull
MONARCH surreptitiously partners with LANDSAT and the 1st Aviation Brigade, 3rd Assault Helicopter Company to mount an expedition to the mythical "Skull Island" in an uncharted corner of the south Pacific. Encountering the god-like superspecies known as Kong, they soon discover that mankind does not belong here.

Isla De Mona
A covert MONARCH team establishes a quarantine zone around the island's dormant volcano, under the guise of "environmental research". Over the coming years, what began as a small scientific outpost will expand to become a full containment facility around the mouth of the volcano.

Return to Skull Island
MONARCH security officer Aaron Brooks d[...] his father Houston Brooks and leads an off-the-books mission to Skull Island, to determine what has become of Kong since the 1973 expedition.

Janjira [...]
(graphic says "Janjira, Japan", this is the incident that killed Walter White's wife in Godzilla)

A Mysterious Mercenary(?)

Temple of the Moth
Mythographic Studies of Chinese temples leads MONARCH to the high-altitude jungles of the Yunnan province. Dr. Emma Russell and her team follow a mysterious bio-acoustic signature to a previously undiscovered megalithic temple, within which lies a gigantic cocoon. A quickening heartbeat is detected inside.

Message in a Bottle

The Battle of San Francisco
The existence of giant superspecies is revealed to the world as Godzilla clashes with two M.U.T.O.S in the center of San Francisco, unleashing devastation upon the urban center, the world watches as Godzilla defends our world and restores balance to the natural order. The time has come for MONARCH to step ouf of the shadows.

Monster Zero
When MONARCH discover an extraordinary superspecies sealed beneath the Antarctic ice sheet. Dr. Vivienne Graham leads hte effort to build a covert containment and research facility around the dormant creature. Her classified field notes contain a mysterious footnote: "The devil has three heads."

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 13, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

BOI poo poo's gonna pop the gently caress OFF!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Supposedly this is the full text for the Mysterious Mercenary entry

“Former British Army Colonel and MI-6 agent Jonah Alan is locked up in Pakistani prison after an encounter with Monarch agents. Alan and his band of mercenary accomplises were caught trying to breach the walls of a subterranean M.U.T.O. dig-site.”

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also I need to get around to actually watching Kong. I can probably just Redbox it or something.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

Also I need to get around to actually watching Kong. I can probably just Redbox it or something.

I thought Skull Island Kong was mostly nothing to write home about. It felt about the same as The Mummy(2017) in terms of something that felt like it should have been a lot more cooler/awesome than it actually turned out. By the same token, I was loving floored by Shin Godzilla with how its story evolved. I was NOT expecting such a level of destruction, either :unsmigghh: I liked how kinda low key it was, too.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Eh, I kinda liked Kong. It didn't floor me, but it was fun and had its moments. A solid 7/10.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Drifter posted:

I thought Skull Island Kong was mostly nothing to write home about. It felt about the same as The Mummy(2017) in terms of something that felt like it should have been a lot more cooler/awesome than it actually turned out. By the same token, I was loving floored by Shin Godzilla with how its story evolved. I was NOT expecting such a level of destruction, either :unsmigghh: I liked how kinda low key it was, too.

I'd compare Skull Island to Aliens. As the mystery unfolds characters are picked off one by one by weird and deadly critters. I also compare them as fun action movies. And it has Samuel L. Jackson doing his best Captain Ahab impression. What's not to love ? 8.5/10, did everything it wanted to and did it well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It did the smart thing, and did not try to be the original.

Two previous attempts to start Kong again tried to be the original and burned in the attempt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Skull Island ruled, you weenies.