Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I disagree with your feelings on Godzilla 2014 because of the many reasons others have articulated since the criticisms came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bombs are powerful, god is powerful, forces of nature are also powerful.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Godzilla

Equals

King of the Monsters

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Haha I thought it would be like, a random offhand comment he makes in a video on another subject, but he uses "CGI" incorrectly like 50 times in a 6 minute video.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The use of 3D animation in anime has been... a struggle for me. Often it looks like the framerate of the 3D stuff isn't keeping up with the framerate of the 2D stuff and it just looks like absolute poo poo in terms of the movement. The Godzilla anime (part 1 at least) was one of the worst offenders I've seen personally, on top of just being ugly artistically.

But then something like Beastars comes along and looks absolutely fantastic, and I'm not enough of an expert to know what all went into it working so differently for me. Maybe it has a crazier budget than I realized or something.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Great apes usually loving hate water so Kong fighting a water monster underwater is too Mary Sue for me.
Excuse me, Skull Island established that Kong grew up with a fun lake to splash around in (and eat murdersquids), so he obviously got acclimated to water from that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just like i initially felt about Shin, that’s one loving goofy looking Godzilla.
Reminds me of the dragon from Dragonball (and of course I'm guessing lots of similar mythological dragon imagery).

Mouth creepily open like a snake dislocating its jaw though, very odd.

e: also a weird amount of math formulas about the number 69??

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lol I will squeal if Kong can actually speak, after the trailers are faking like they're just impressed by his sign language.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Personally I have more faith in this than KOTM because of Adam Wingard, but I loved his Death Note and am real excited about his trajectory. I'm not super knowledgeable on the subject but KOTM felt likely way more studio-managed given they gave it to "some guy" to direct, and it was maybe more of a marketing "universe establishing" movie than anything else.

Martman fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 25, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I didn't know that about Dougherty being a big fan, so that's nice. I guess I felt like a lot of the big picture of the movie felt very... cobbled together, so maybe that was just more me complaining about it than having a specific point about the studios. But stuff like Charles Dance getting barely anything to do reminded me of Max Von Sydow being advertised so heavily for Star Wars TFA.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I guess I need to watch Krampus. I heard good things but never saw such enthusiasm!

hey wait that's a christmas movie! I guess I need to watch Trick 'r Treat I mean

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah I love the way the human element works in '14. I think that's a lot of the reason for my issues with KOTM, it feels like they "corrected" that stuff in the worst way.

Now, in GvK I'm not sure. Kong can basically be the human element for all I care.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Well I convinced my friends to see it based on Juliette Binoche being in it, they were so pissed!!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Drakyn posted:

Bullets don't penetrate water well :smug:
Is the ocean a kaiju?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Well a T-Rex definitely shouldn't be hanging out with Whoopi Goldberg

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

"That was my brother, Larryzawa."

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

You could say that theme has no life to it. It's too....... mechanical.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

lol I forgot about the flub in G14 after the first G attack in Honolulu. The next morning at the devastation there are seagulls flying around. There are no seagulls in Hawaii (thank god). It's too far away from any major land body for them to be able to get to.

Man I love that first G reveal at the airport.
They rode there on Godzilla's back

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Is there somewhere with a countdown of what actual time this releases on streaming? I dunno if I'm becoming bad with Google but it is getting silly how hard it is for me to find

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

I just wanna know why Kong has no dong

I'm serious, it bothers the hell out of me
Maybe he's supposed to grow a big giant dong when he encounters a hot female Kong, like it triggers a bunch of hormonal development stuff. But he's the last of his kind so he's stuck in this state forever.

e: Actually are we even sure he's the male? I mean either way there are questions

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i liked Bernie's characterization. he's introduced as this goofy annoying idiot but the very first scene he's in establishes that it's just an act and he's taking advantage of other people's contempt for him in order to have greater freedom / autonomy. it also mirrors Kong hiding his intelligence from Monarch and Jia and Ilene hiding what she's actually saying from Nathan
Agree 100%, I am kinda surprised by how many "all the human stuff is dumb" reactions are happening.

With Kong's legacy being so strongly tied to racist ideas of "noble savagery" etc., Bernie was wonderful to me. This movie completely sidelined the stupid patriarchal white guy (no offense to Kyle Chandler, it's just what the character was) in favor of a genuinely interesting goofy Black man. And I've never seen a better use of the "comedically paranoid conspiracy theorist" character than one who has ingrained obnoxiousness into his personality for five years specifically so that he won't be noticed in his investigations. Maybe I'm biased because I love him in Atlanta.

The human stories are goofy, absurd, and funny, but that doesn't mean they're stupid. This movie was awesome.

e: and yeah same as teagone etc., I really ended up hating KotM but loved this.

Martman fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 1, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I really loved how they teased Mechagodzilla such that it ended up still being a twist to me. My skimming over news and stuff led me to believe 100% that the Godzilla we were seeing in the first half was actually Mechagodzilla, with the real one maybe being trapped somewhere. So it ended up putting me in a great spot of like "Okay it's fine that Godzilla is loving all this poo poo up, I'm sure he's fake......wait...... ok but drat..."

I actually loved the callback to G'14 with Godzilla just absolutely wrecking the bridge in Hong Kong as opposed to making an effort to protect the Golden Gate Bridge in G'14... it conveyed to me that in the first movie he was really just doing business as usual. His job is to protect the world from assholes, but he still likes to avoid slaughtering people when it's easy... but Mechagodzilla disgusts (and maybe scares) him so much that he just goes ham immediately and does not have time to worry about casualties.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

SuddenCactus posted:

I have a question, so humans can't make it to the hollow earth because of the gravity inversion issue, who then built the kong cathedral, throne and the stairs that look very human sized? The kong family?
I would say absolutely yes. Kong is just straight up sapient, intelligent, capable of language, whatever, but he just happens to be an orphan and last of his kind etc. so never got taught the Kong ways. I like how this also partly justifies Godzilla kicking his rear end 1v1. Kong is amazing, but he's making it up as he goes; Godzilla is afaik the same mythical dragon-beast from thousands of years ago.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Alec Eiffel posted:

Why did Mechagodzilla go apeshit
To get to the other side? of the hollow earth

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

One thing that was pleasantly surprising was that the kid talking to Kong worked way better than it had any right to work
To me what really made her character work was that she wasn't completely naive. She wasn't lied to, so she understood her role as the Kong liaison. This let her be honest with him in way that was actually really refreshing. The scene where they struggle to decide what to tell him to get him to go in the Antarctica tunnel was awesome, because they just end up telling him the truth: We want you to go there, and there is some chance there will be some family poo poo there for you. We dunno really. I loved that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wasn't Metallo originally going to be the big bad in BvS instead of Doomsday? Lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

First of all, they were mining energon, so I'm gonna need a transformer cross over forget Pacific rim.
The first Kong.......... was Optimus Primal

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

HannibalBarca posted:

To be fair, they also changed the immediate catalyst from "nuclear testing" to "nuclear submarines", which is a bit ehhhhhh
Huh? Doesn't Godzilla 2014 like, open with footage of nuclear bomb tests in the Bikini Atoll?

Like it recontextualizes that historical stuff to say they were actually trying to nuke Godzilla, not just test the bombs; are you just saying he woke up because of other stuff before that?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Jimbot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV1OOlGwExM

A trailer for the upcoming American film. Completely different vibes, to be sure. Looks like what summer blockbusters are supposed to! Also Kong wearing that gauntlet just makes me think of Metal Gear Solid V. Punished Kong.
godzilla running at the end looked kinda weird to me. otherwise I'm down.

might go see minus one today it sounds awesome

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

alright, seeing this bad boy on imax in an hour and a half :woop:

mad respect to whoever reserved center seat front row entirely by choice

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yep this was awesome. I think I preferred Shin Godzilla but it's hard to compare movies at home to seeing this on a giant movie screen. My ears were literally ringing after one scene, and I was like "hell yeah."

I love how hard the main dude sends it with his performance. I'm not super picky or one to quickly judge which acting is "better" than other acting because I think people get too hung up on realism, but I definitely think it makes sense to go ham when you're competing with a giant monster.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Iirc he is around 1 or so meters taller than 1954 G
You must be thinking of Godzilla Plus One

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I thought Godzilla was preparing so hard specifically to deal with Shimo's ice powers and their ability to cause an ice age. It visually made enough sense to me under that assumption and then his pink breath dispelled the start of the bad weather that Shimo had put in motion.

This somehow hit just the right notes for me. Definitely some stuff felt rushed, especially Mothra's resurrection as y'all mentioned, but the comedic vibe of the human story managed to not annoy me. Everything with baby monke worked way better than I expected, and Kong swinging him around to beat the other apes was absolutely my favorite moment.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Calico Heart posted:

I saw Godzilla x Kong while high as gently caress and instead of it enhancing the viewing, it put me in an incredibly sobering state of mind that heavily impacted my viewing experience.

I could not stop thinking while watching the movie that I am pretty sure this film represents a new low bar in just how loving stupid an entire film with hundreds of millions of dollars behind it can be.

Hear me out; I know stupid multi-million dollar movies have existed in the past. I am not some alien to whom this information is brand new. However, this film legitimately feels like it was either written by an AI or by a human being who holds active contempt for the audience. The stupidity is not celebratory or fun. It feels stupid for the exact opposite reason; this movie was assembled on a factory line.

I think it was during minute 35 of the I think 100 minutes of ugly apes vaguely gesturing at each other I realised this. This is a movie written by someone so lazy and stupid they decided what they needed to do to grip audiences was give King Kong a loving character arc. Almost every single line of dialogue in this movie is a character delivering exposition, 50% of the time explaining something we just saw. It's a movie where Mothra is the good monster so she glows and makes cute noises, in case you loving morons in the audience needed a hint. If someone had a job working on this movie, they did it as quickly as possible and with as little effort as possible. It generally hits the bare minimum beats for what even constitutes a movie.

It's like if a studio's homework was to make a Kong/Godzilla movie and they only remembered the hand-in date was tomorrow the night before. I know these are a lot of words but I genuinely was having a somewhat existensial experience on the state of film watching this movie.
they gave the main character a character arc? drat the weed really let you pierce the veil bro

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

letthemfight.jpg

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction but playing as King Kong could be pretty badass. I wanna piledriver a dude off a building, through a portal and into hollow Earth

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

I hope the idiot character who let the mosquito suck on him because "she needs it more than me" dies of West Nile Virus
In a weird way I like that. The humans are basically relegated to being mosquitos at this point in the legendary universe; Dan Stevens's big move is just summoning a swarm to annoy the enemies for like two seconds. So he feels a strange kinship with them; the giant monsters have changed the natural order.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I loved the scene where Scar laughs at Kong for having gone to the dentist

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Kong is supposed to be the protector of humans, but I’m not sure why he would want to. Maybe for that universal healthcare.
He's lonely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nic Cage should play Godzilla. no costume or special effects just the power of acting