Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Have we considered the possibility that an EVA unit is gonna show up halfway through and this will be Rebuild 3.0 + 1.0 in disguise?

Because I would be OK with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Man I wish I could see this in IMAX, I bet it's glorious.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BattleTech posted:

Just got back from seeing Shin Godzilla, I kind of hated it. If you want just a grade and is Godzilla cool in it; D+/C- and YES. There are cool things in it but it is not a good movie, I do recommend seeing it for having some really neat miniature filming tricks.

This movie is like 95% Bureaucratic Politics and 5% Godzilla destroying stuff, it also comes real close to being hilariously xenophobic, with all countries not Japan being portayed as selfcentered and/or trying to bully the small country of Japan into them giving control(?) of Godzilla. Listen the writing is really bad in this, like really really bad. There are massive amounts of redundant scenes which I guess was to show off the bureaucratic bloat of the government but it just feels like time bloating. Satomi Ishihara(Patterson) obviously learned her lines phonetically, because her english is so bad I laughed every time she spoke it. My only real other complaint was ending poilersthe fact that they defeated Godzilla, once again, by freezing him to death.It feels super lazy and unoriginal.

I agree with the conceit of this post, but I love me some bureaucrat jokes, so I was happy as a clam. The moments of serious destruction were perfect, the moments that wouldn't be out of place in an episode of Veep were great too.

I totally agree with you about the actress who played Patterson. For someone who was supposedly a 2nd or 3rd generation American her English was not very good. I'd say that they could have looked a little harder to find someone who was more bilingual, but I'm sure there are plenty of Hollywood movies where supposed Japanese can't speak it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In an SMG-Esque note, I really loved how the end happened. They defeat Godzilla by literally turning the city against him, attacking him with train bombs and collapsing buildings on top of him, and the power of international relations and drone strikes. After seeing movie after American movie show the complete leveling of skyscrapers as a tragedy in and of itself, this movie turns it on its head and sees the buildings strike back! That would probably not fly in an American blockbuster at the moment, unless they attempted to play it up as a conspiracy theory.

I also never saw this movie as anything resembling fascism. I understand where people are coming with it, but government did ultimately save the day. It's about encouraging collaboration instead of separation, both internationally and nationally.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Schwarzwald posted:

I was recently linked to an article that quotes Hideaki Anno (the director of Shin Godzilla) and I think it might be pertinent.

The post war period never ends.

Full Article

This is fascinating. I love reading about the weird cultural undercurrents of other countries that don't really have an analogue in the US. Japan's feelings about suicide are definitely right up there, not to mention the other odd things going on.

That said, is Eva really a Star Wars level phenomenon over there? I watched the show when I was in junior high and still have some interest in it (watching End of Evangelion was a somewhat formative moment in my adolescence), but I didn't think it was on that level.