Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Choco1980 posted:

It's funny, I'd say the Heisei period has oddly both some of the best and the worst human plots. For every time traveling android or hatching of baby dinosaurs, there's scene after scene of dudes just sitting in a control room not really doing anything and being all out of ideas.

Yeah but for every one of those there's a subplot with Kumi Mizuno as an alien who gets executed for having emotions.

Raxivace posted:

I'll give it a chance, though Urobuchi has yet to be involved with anything I've ended up liking.

Psycho-Pass season one is really loving good, although you have to read it as a comedy for this to come through.

Madoka's visually spectacular but I don't know that he had much to do with that and narratively, eh, it's okay.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Someone doesn't know the difference between Showa and Heisei

I do, actually, which makes this even more embarassing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

So, there was an excellent Godzilla primer thread here a few years back. I've scoured the archives and I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone locate it?

It's on the first page of 2013 CineD: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3350308

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I liked Jean Reno in that movie, but then again, I like Jean Reno in most things.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

bimmi may have made some valid points but i'll probably never know because i tuned out when he badmouthed Ultraman and Ray Harryhausen in the same sentence

what the gently caress dude

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Ultraman I will not defend. Loved that poo poo as a kid, but try to tell me with a straight face that all those Ultra monsters aren't silly as hell.

I'm a huge Showa apologist / favoritist, silly isn't really a negative to me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

He also apparently lifted some music from Bleach wholesale or something? I dunno, never watched it, but even the original pieces of the film's score are really reminiscent of the work he did on the Eva rebuilds. They clash wonderfully with the barely touched showa era music :allears:

I'm down with this, the score was the best thing Bleach had going for it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's what I was gonna say too

if I really liked this movie should I watch Evangelion? I'm not an anime super fan (clearly, since I've never seen Evangelion), but neither do I have a problem with anime.

You should watch Evangelion either way.

If for no other reason because I want to see CineD regulars weigh in on it even if they hate it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

gfanikf posted:

No you shouldn't. What makes Shin Godzilla such a success is that it is so good when Evangelion was such a steaming pile of horse poo poo. Seriously it's a week of my life I will never get back and I greatly regret it. Just know Shin is great, Evangelion is not and you'll be fine.

I think you're incredibly wrong, but I'm also interested in hearing you explain why. We don't even have to argue about it if you'd rather not.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Phone posted:

Tuxedo, did you get what you want out of this? I did. :v:

Yeah, my curiosity has been completely sated.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

They just assumed it's going to be followed up with Ankle Godzilla and Heel Godzilla.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

HannibalBarca posted:

Aliens is still the best Vietnam movie ever made.

ehhh

Don't get me wrong, Aliens is really good, but there's a lot of competition for that title.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

As much as I want to see Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan, I'd be ok if we got Godzilla fighting a giant Kiwi.

There should be more giant bird kaiju in general.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I was thinking the fruit and was imagining a really tasty version of Biollante.

Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman, New Zealand-style.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

The way I have heard it, back in the 60s and 70s Japanese operations for English Dubbing would often extremely literally just pull white dudes in off the street because they knew they spoke English. That's why there's such a wide distinction in talent quality in them.

that's amazing, and having seen a few godzilla dubs in my life i believe it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That's awesome.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I like the 'Zilla photobomb.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Wait, how was Rogue One hosed up?

well i mean, i don't know the details but whatever happened it produced Rogue One

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Godzilla is the repercussions of imperialism made flesh. You could pit the entire Imperial Fleet and both Death Stars against him and he'd still win, and probably walk out of it more dangerous than when he started.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ThingOne posted:

Look at you letting storytelling get in the way of nerd dickwaving :rolleyes:. Now here's my 20 page dissertation on the physics of a turbolaser.

Oh, no, don't misunderstand. This is still nerd dickwaving, I'm just telling you to get on my level.

Besides, Godzilla feeding on WMDs and powering up isn't exactly new territory.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ancient weapons and hokey bureacracy are no match for a 389 foot lizard who breathes nuclear apocalypse at your side, kid

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Burkion posted:

I don't have the best track record with the writer and they've been hiding Godzilla's design pretty hard. Hopefully it'll be good please be good

Psycho-Pass S1 is terrific, we just have to hope we get that (or at least Madoka-) Urobuchi and not, like, anything else Urobuchi.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

So is that Eva 4.44 or whatever or a completely new movie? Can't wait for it to take fifteen years to come out while Anno piles on more Shin Godzilla sequels which is what NGE deserves at this point.

Evangelion is good and deserves a good send-off

however "you're either going to get more Evangelion or more Godzilla by Hideaki Anno, but not both at the same time" is, like, if that's your idea of a problem then sign me up for nothing but problems for the rest of my life

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

I love Crocofaced Bear Godzilla. I also love Dino Weasel face with tiny cat ears Godzilla.

I love all Godzillas.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RichterIX posted:

I'm rewatching the Heisei Gamera trilogy and holy poo poo you guys I forgot how good they are. I love the Godzilla movies of that era but the set design in the Gamera movies makes Godzilla look like he's rampaging through a bunch of cardboard boxes.

I haven't seen those yet. I don't think I've ever laughed harder at a kaiju movie than in the original Showa Gamera movie where the military goes "he's a turtle, let's just flip him on his back" and the events that immediately follow, though, and it's that kind of goofiness that really brings me to the genre as much as any kind of serious drama.

Which makes Shin Godzilla especially good since it's a fantastic marriage of the goofy and the serious.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Reading cases has given me the horrible habit of occasionally just pronouncing it "vee."

Davros1 posted:

Godzilla v. Kong

King vs. Kong. It's a melodrama about King Kong getting his life back together, but always screwing it up for himself.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I was gonna say, it's a major plot point, that characters comment on incredulously: Zilla does not gently caress.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I dunno, most kaiju movies are really chaste. Like, one of the most recurring melodramatic themes of these types of movies is the total repression of sexual independence, particularly of women. And if not that, some tense sexual drama is usually occurring somewhere but never addressed explicitly. Gojira, Rodan, The X from Outer Space, and a bunch of others just immediately leap out to me as the monsters explicitly being a metaphor for the characters' repressed sexual desires.

Have you seen Evangelion, K. Waste? I'm curious what you'd make of Ikari Gendo's relationship with the giant robot / kaiju inhabited by his wife's soul -- which she fled to, to escape the Illuminati who wanted to kill her, but which also functionally equates to telling him to go sleep on the couch.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Anno kinda famously received hundreds of death threats and became severely depressed while working on the series. Shinji's entire character is a criticism of otaku subculture and it becomes increasingly obvious until he's jacking off to his unconscious friend.

Wrong. Anno received death threats over Death & Rebirth, after the series had already ended for some time. More specifically, he received death threats because the second half of Death & Rebirth is basically a teaser for End of Evangelion and people were mad because they wanted more Eva. (It was also an outlier -- most feedback for the show and the movies was positive.) He was famously depressed, but for personal reasons.

Similarly, "Shinji is an otaku caricature" is pretty much just uninformed nonsense that people repeat across the internet.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

"Worried about censorship" barely even covers it. You know why episodes 25 and 26 are as weird as they are? Because the original versions were basically End of Evangelion lite and the TV station was like "haha nope," so Anno and company had to scramble to come up with something to replace them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

On Godzilla, you can get up to 118.5 meters high.

Off Godzilla, well, it really depends on how good you are at climbing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

lepidopteran of unusual size

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A gorilla / whale kaiju would be pretty rad, mind.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The original Gamera movie has the Japanese military smugly assuring themselves that "he's a turtle, if we flip him on his back, he'll be helpless" only to discover that he can fly by emitting flames from his shell to right himself, which would singlehandedly redeem the movie even if it weren't also pretty good overall.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

because nobody watched Gargantia

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Hot-take: Godzilla vs. Megalon is hella underrated.

Absolutely. It's a very funny movie, and I admire the director's willingness to execute certain ideas even if they look "bad."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

As much as I like Psycho-Pass it's the only thing that's great because Urobuchi wrote it. Madoka's script is fine but its strength is its visual aesthetic, and everything else he's written ranges from bland to "I'm probably on a watchlist just for knowing what this is."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Oppenheimer trailer that had the giant centipede corpse in it? That trailer was so good.

I'm still kind of annoyed we didn't get a Mongolian Death Worm kaiju.

Like, not even necessarily at the movie itself, just in general.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Has there ever been a solo King Ghidorah movie, or has he only ever been a Godzilla villain?

A kaiju movie where the kaiju isn't a force of nature, a manifestation of vengeance and anger, or a misunderstood good guy, and is just straight-up Giant Monster Satan sounds like fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

There have been kaiju living in the open in Australia all along, it's just nobody noticed anything out of the ordinary.