Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rat Flavoured Rats posted:

Anyway, I have a regular movie night with some friends where we tend to watch films that trend towards the funnier-goofier side of things and get drunk. Good times. I was wondering if someone could recommend a Godzilla film with some silly moments that would be good to watch with friends and drinks please?

I'm fond of Godzilla vs the Sea Monster for silliness. The whole opening with the human characters is silly. Most of the stuff on both islands is silly. And who can go wrong when "I know ! Let's wake up Godzilla !" is a reasonable solution to the character's predicament ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I've been trying like crazy to find this song, because it's been driving me up the walls. I think I might have seen it first in the 2014 Godzilla thread around here, so I was wondering if some other goon might recognize what I'm talking about here.

You're thinking of the Foremen's "Godzilla Has a Midlife Crisis". They're a comedy folk song group, and they're pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHfp75gmr7Q

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Are the twins going to the wedding? Asking for a friend.

Two "revival" movies and no sign of the twins. A shameful display.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

I was rewatching this and i just noticed its pretty much stated that the us was planning on more than dropping a few bunker busters on Godzilla. It seems like they were gonna re-enact rolling thunder on tokyo with the damage predictions they gave the ministers.

They showed a map of impact sites. It does indeed look like just carpet bombing the city. Again. The characters had an "oh poo poo" and started putting out the word to get underground right away. Which probably saved a lot of lives when the laser death beam came out.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The_Rob posted:

The more I've thought about it the more the English doesn't bother me. We have American movies all the time where actors botch another language. We just don't realize it because it isn't our primary language. Shin Godzilla was a Japanese movie made by a Japanese director with Japanese actors made for a Japanese audience.

Exactly. it's our turn now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

I thought Skull Island Kong was mostly nothing to write home about. It felt about the same as The Mummy(2017) in terms of something that felt like it should have been a lot more cooler/awesome than it actually turned out. By the same token, I was loving floored by Shin Godzilla with how its story evolved. I was NOT expecting such a level of destruction, either :unsmigghh: I liked how kinda low key it was, too.

I'd compare Skull Island to Aliens. As the mystery unfolds characters are picked off one by one by weird and deadly critters. I also compare them as fun action movies. And it has Samuel L. Jackson doing his best Captain Ahab impression. What's not to love ? 8.5/10, did everything it wanted to and did it well.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Netflix showed off its slate of anime programming for 2018 and Anizilla will be released internationally as Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters in November.

There is a god, and he's 400 feet tall and scaly.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Oh hey, if they're hinting the Oxygen Destroyer, that's a different way of escalating.

I like it. It's a callback to the 1954 movie, and it's a statement about environmental damage.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Burkion posted:

Tell that to either get fan translated or get loving released here pronto

Jesus Christ

There's an honest to God Angel in there! Based on the gameplay footage, I may need to get a PS4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk97PoC0Y6w

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

... and then when they got to see the finished product they went "Ohhhhhhhhh gently caress THAT" and banned all their IPs from being adapted into live action films for the next few decades. The upcoming Detective Pikachu film will be the second ever live action Nintendo film.

Oh hey, Alex Hirsch (Gravity Falls) is writing that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Jesus, between trying to find a loving copy of Gigantis The Fire Monster and trying to get this clip uploaded somewhere, this has been like pulling teeth.

So long as the teeth aren't taller than a Chicago Bears linebacker and came from the jaw of something that should have died out two hundred million years ago it's fine.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

G14's plot was fine, but I prefer my human plots in Kaiju films to involve crazy sci fi plots about cockroach aliens.

Or some crazy dude desperate to get a boat to go rescue his shipwrecked brother.

That trailer looks fine to me. I see twin girls, mechagodzilla, lost civilizations, all sortsa stuff. I like the first one ok, but it was pretty straightforward. This one looks nuts, which as has just been said, is just right for a Godzilla movie.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Charles Dance with "Long live the King".

:syoon:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

frank.club posted:

98 is really good because it allowed this into existence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrSyrOaoAug

Apropos of nothing, but the song got mentioned,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Neka58JplAQ

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

:drat:

That's loving incredible. They even put in the twins !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

The crossover isn't until Godzilla vs. Kong.

That's obviously a layup.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Watched a bunch of Godzilla and wants to get stuck in t the classics ?

I like Godzilla v Ebirah/The Sea Monster for the antics of the human characters. Any time someone says "I have an idea ! Let's wake up Godzilla !" and it's actually a reasonable plan given their situation, you know you're in for a good time. Also it has Infant Island and Mothra in it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

it's called an adventure movie

Skull Island is actually an action comedy. It's mostly dark humor, but things like the flashbulb popping off after the camera (and John Goodman) got eaten, or the helicopter getting grabbed and thrown by Kong just after Sam Jackson's crash are definitely humorous. The ending is upbeat, further qualifying as a comedy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Burkion posted:

Primal chanting version of Mothra Theme IS on point

If it gets Infant Island into the 2014 canon I'm super into that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Desumaytah posted:

Godzilla vs The Sea Monster is such a weird movie that I can't help but love. It makes a ton of sense that it was supposed to be a Kong movie right up until they started production. That Mothra song near the end was super-good, too.

That's one of my very favorites. I'll recommend it for anyone wanting to get deeper into the series. The stuff with the human characters and evil cult carry the movie nicely, plus a lot of good Godzilla characterization. It would stand up without giant monsters, so adding kaiju turns it all the way up to awesome.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

wdarkk posted:

It's like a 70s Bond movie with Godzilla. Which I'm now sad isn't a thing.

The crossover we didn't know we needed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Nroo posted:

Shot Context:

Well-spotted !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Burkion posted:

Was absolutely me

UltraSeven is flat out my favorite super hero, period, and my favorite Ultra series. It was Tsuburaya putting their best into it as often as they could, with Old Man Tsuburaya himself over seeing the effects work on the finale and personally ensuring it was as good as it could possibly be.

Well, episode 1 was ok. I'll give it a few more to grow on me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

well now someone has to edit all of baragon's roars to be little "raaa"s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK53bZ7zoFA

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Oh SHIIIIIIIIIIIITTT

Hail to the KING

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Quick question about the Imax trailer. Right at the beginning, is that the Jefferson memorial on the right side of the screen with the warships on the left? Because if it is, that's not a good sign for D.C.

The Potomac is a major river, but I don't think you can normally get an Arleigh Burke class DDG up to Capitol Hill.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

The home release was also way too dark and this has never been fixed.

If any movie is underrated, it's Skull Island. No one hardly talks about it but its easily the best Kong film since the original.

Which is amazing considering it has Samuel L Jackson doing an outstanding Captain Ahab impression.

gently caress, I have about an hour to kill. I'm putting it on.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Get hype, that's gorgeous.

DC is even more flooded than we thought, there's three DDGs within a few hundred feet of the Lincoln Memorial.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHfp75gmr7Q

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I'd like everyone to know that my playlist cycled up BOC's Godzilla while I was catching up on the thread.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Initial reaction: "DOPE as gently caress ! 11/10 !"

I"ll let it sink in and just say that some people are really bad at watching movies. The testimony before the Senate committee was loving titled as being a Senate committee. Anyone wondering if that was Congress or the UN missed something that was literally spelled out in writing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Not understanding the moms motivation when she literally gives a speech about it. Not understanding how the monsters get around so quickly when you not only see them go through a hollow Earth tunnel, but they have a guy shout about how John Goodman in skull island was right and they get around through hollow Earth tunnels. Like this poo poo is all right there, people are just somehow getting retrograde amnesia for all this poo poo, or just weren't paying attention. If you think the humans were boring or whatever, cool, but don't blame your failure to grasp things the movie screams into your face on the movie.

I'm starting to think some of the posters ITT watched a cam rip their roommate put on, and were on their phone for all the bits that were monsters smashing cities.

Chronojam posted:

She was. That's the point. From suddenly reviving the macguffin device project which is taken as a surprise maneuver and first hint the protagonists have that something is wrong, to orchestrating the extraction of Ghidora and clearly being the one to intentionally and without duress awaken him (several characters in dialog confirm that plot point-- it was definitely her and definitely on purpose), to the literal televised speech she gives saying "I, scientist lady, am an ecoterrorist."

In the first few minutes of the film Maddie emailed her dad to say she's worried about mom, the kid knew mom was up to something.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that a movie that isn't great in how it presents it's story telling has a larger than average number of people confused about the plot. This movie presents a lot of plot points as random toss off lines or information presented on a screen instead of shown happening.

Like whole plotlines that span the entire movie appear and resolve in single lines of dialog. Miss that and they never show or deal with it again.

That's a fair point, there are way too many blink and you'll miss it plot elements which leaves the human plots ultimately thin at best. Skull Island is the better film, but I don't want anyone to skip seeing KOTM on the biggest screen they can get to.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm taking a detour just with Ebirah just to see the used up suit, maybe Destroy all Monsters is next. lol

Ebirah is a lot of fun. It's got an entertaining human plot, Infant Island, Mothra, Godzilla styling on jet fighters, and the line "I know ! Let's wake up Godzilla" as a perfectly reasonable response to how hosed the human characters are.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm really enjoying it so far, the human plot feels very James Bond but with idiots instead of a top secret spy, if that makes sense.

Funny you should say that. Check out the Let's Read James Bond thread, he's really only good at killing people. Like, at all.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861448

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Concept art from one of the design studios on this page:

https://www.weibo.com/1707342322/Hy...nd1560489041929

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That should suck, but it doesn't.

Captain Invictus posted:

thought you fellas might enjoy this, there's sometimes some decent stuff on mashup t-shirt sites and I like this one.

Link the loving shirt. Do it now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Seeing the two of them next to each other really highlights their differences. G14 is a realy, incredibly huge animal, while Shin is this radioactive thing that shouldn't be. They're going far with that in their effects/editing reel.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

It's an aircraft carrier all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Gripweed posted:

It's so colorful.

For an action comedy, it sure does kill a lot of the starting cast. But, brilliantly.

And you can't say no to a good Apocalypse Now homage.