Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

At least you guys are getting some kind of release, there's still nothing announced for here in Australia

There's an Asian film fest in Brisbane later in the year so I'm holding out hope for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The imdb/com release dates page now has

Oh dammit where where :supaburn:

Edit: Village Cinemas have it listed for Oct 13
http://villagecinemas.com.au/movies/godzilla-shin-godzilla
:neckbeard:

There's a touring Japanese Film Festival in October so I wonder if it'll be a part of that?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Yaws posted:

Couldn't they just CG those wires out? I've been noticing that with my blu rays as well and it's grating. I kinda regret buying them and wish I woulda stuck with DVD.

That'd kinda defeat the point though - no one's going into a pre-96 Godzilla movie expecting to not see a dude in a rubber suit. Those things really drive home that they created tangible FX stuff, like a whole tiny tiny town and just went to fuckin' town on it. I like that.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Australia gets a limited season from October 13 and tix are on sale now: https://www.godzilla.com.au

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Bimmi posted:

Nope.

e: and I'll just say that the "Raids Again" suit has recently become one of my favorites, for reasons which should be obvious:

:madmax:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Oh rad, untagged spoilers. Awesome.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
There was a really nice breath of fresh air in the ending where the room just sighs in relief, instead of jumping up and celebrating . It rams home how exhausting and terrifying it all was.

Seeing Godzilla as an unstoppable force instead of smart, big monster yet again was really, really excelleny. Anno directed the hell out of this.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

david_a posted:

One question I had from the epilogue: they mention something about the Godzilla particle having a really short half-life so it would be gone in two years. Was that just the radiation or is it for the big guy himself? Will he melt away or are they stuck with a giant frozen Godzilla statue forever?

Just realised - weren't they tracking the residual radiation from Godzilla's path? Then he stands still for two weeks - wouldn't there have been a notable decline of the radiation that would lead to the discovery of the hald-life only being 20 days earlier?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Xy Hapu posted:

Great design throughout, only part I found generic and dumb was when they showed the tail zombies. God I hope they don't feature in the next films, I can't imagine that not being awful.

A reference to the worst Godzilla movie in the best Godzilla movie?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Sorry for the dumb joke but yes I know that Anno was not referencing Emmerich's 98 Godzilla with the final shot

Now let us never speak of 98 Zilla again.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

K. Waste posted:

close the thread

we're done

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
So is that Eva 4.44 or whatever or a completely new movie? Can't wait for it to take fifteen years to come out while Anno piles on more Shin Godzilla sequels which is what NGE deserves at this point.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Joke's on you. NGE 4.44 and Shin Godzilla 2 are going to be the same movie.

gently caress it, I'm down

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
FYI, it appears that the Australian version released by Madman has all the basic extras from the Japanese version: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/world-cinema/shin-godzilla/445581/

You just have to deal with the lovely cover (there's a slipcase/non-slipcase version) and our terrible rating on the front. If you're US based though it should end up being about $25+shipping.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
The Australian edition of the blu ray is shipping a out a week early, time to get excited.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Has anyone gotten these boxsets at all? They don't seem complete, but they seem to be the best way to get the bulk of them without trying to keep track of all the weird blu-ray double packs on Amazon.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/world-cinema/godzilla-showa-classics-collection-volume-1/259676/
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/world-cinema/godzilla-showa-classics-collection-volume-2/259672/
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/world-cinema/godzilla-heisei-series-collection/259680/
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/world-cinema/godzilla-millennium-series-collection/399317/

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
There's no greater sadness than excitedly buying a Gamera double feature that I found in the back dusty shelf of a chain dvd/cd/hi-fi/electronics shop, before getting home and realising I already own it :(

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Magma Turtle is 50% of the way there to Gamera so let's hurry the gently caress up and get to that cinematic universe please

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress, that part caught me off guard and I cannot stop laughing.

The stumpy Godzilla sprint preceding it got me pretty good.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Godzilla vs King Kong (2020) - EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I dig the Godzilla and Rodan posters, not so much Ghidorah as it looks cartoony and less detailed (in contrast to footage in the trailer).

***SUPER SPOILER POTENTIAL:***

I'm not an expert on leaks or anything but I remember coming across a supposed leak, who knows maybe it was linked in this thread, that stated Godzilla will become imprisoned in an enormous spacecraft controlled by Megalon and Space Gabara, and MONARCH will appoint Mothra and Rodan, using Serizawa-designed oxygen-breathing mask technology and their natural talent for flight, to liberate Godzilla in space and return him to Earth where he will defeat King Ghidorah and the other invaders

This seems consistent with what I see in the trailers. I dunno?

Given that Ghidorah is encased in ice, I assume that it would be Godzilla falling to earth in that one shot in the trailer, then. Rad.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
gently caress that, post art

https://twitter.com/GabrielxMarquez/status/1094281944236478464?s=19

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I've been watching and rewatching the '54 original and Shin Godzilla the last week for a uni essay, so this left me kinda underwhelmed. However it certainly ticks all the boxes it needs to for it to be hella fun, and none of the kaiju are done dirty; they all get their time, which is great.

One thing unsettled me though: framing the nuke launch as a good thing to repower up Godzilla is kinda against the whole subtext Godzilla is based on. It's a minor nag, but hey. What else is the internet for? Also Burning Godzilla was a huge surprise for me and fuckin' ruled.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Did I miss the reason why Serizawa couldn't have just set a timer on the nuke and returned to the sub?

The radiation inside the cave was enough to destroy the drones completely, he was dead the moment he got out of the sub.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

I want to believe

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Gripweed posted:

But I do think I noticed a historical inaccuracy. There's a radio broadcast that says America isn't sending their navy in due to concerns about Soviet naval movements. In 1947, Japan was still under strict censorship. One thing that was particularly censored was any criticism of the allies, and especially any suggestion of dissension between the Allies. It's fine if the characters talk about it, Japanese people knew about the mounting tensions between America and the Soviets, they had other sources of information. But I just don't think that would have been said on the radio in Japan in 1947.

Hopefully they'll fix that for the bluray release.

the biggest historical inaccuracy is the big lizard that breathes nuclear explosions

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Someone mentioned Corridor Crew looking at Shin Godzilla's VFX - could that please be linked? I can only find the recent one for - 1 and Legendary Pictures vids.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

ungulateman posted:

the film and its characters never confront the heinous crimes japan committed in world war II, which is why the climax's triumphant glorification of japan's ex-military and citizens all working together to kill the Other doesn't work.

no poo poo??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

still waiting on my Blu-ray

I think SRS is sending them out in the next fortnight. I've had it on preorder for moooooonths