Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Finally got round to watching Shin Godzilla and holy gently caress that was good. I'd only seen The Bad One and the recent one up to now but drat, that was some amazing stuff.

I liked that it started off kind of silly until the googly eyes came off. All those departments and ministers and meeting rooms.

Also that was the Evangelion music popping up every so often, the drum sort of thing?
E: oh, directed by Hideaki Anno, that explains that I guess
E2: oh, and IMDB just comes out and says it. That's a great bit of music and I've liked it forever

Also also the proper Godzilla roar,that rules

Hell of a thing to have hanging around your city though, big loving frozen skeleton dinosaur thing that might wake up one day and be pissed off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, this thread convinced me to watch Skull Island so thanks for that. Great stuff. I have to get off my rear end and watch some Godzilla films soon, I'm getting a taste for them.

Some drat cool giant critters in there. The big stick insect was cute. :3:

Also was the big turtle thing in the opening credits Gamera? He's the big turtle one, right?

E: gently caress credits just ended and that post credit scene unreasonably hyped me up

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The original Gamera movie has the Japanese military smugly assuring themselves that "he's a turtle, if we flip him on his back, he'll be helpless" only to discover that he can fly by emitting flames from his shell to right himself, which would singlehandedly redeem the movie even if it weren't also pretty good overall.

Suddenly I realise I have seen part of that movie, and that was the part I saw.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Double post but Planet of the Monsters is dope as hell so far. Just the back story but fuuuuck.

E: okay that kicked rear end. Roll on part 2

McDragon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 18, 2018

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I saw the king of the monsters trailer and holy poo poo I wanna see the film now. looks great

e: also I wish my fevers manifested as cool monsters that kicked the poo poo out of infections

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah. I liked it while watching it, Godzilla and godzilla were cool and the idea that basically the whole planet had terraformed into godzilla particles made me laugh, but as time goes on, I realize I didn't really think it was that great and also that it wasn't.

might watch the second while I'm doing something else. also planning to watch G2014 and A Quiet Place soon so not rushing for that right now

e: it had the proper roar in it, thats always a plus

E2 : man I forgot how much I liked G2014 in the actual monster bits. This first MUTO attack kicks rear end

McDragon fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 1, 2018

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I remembered after my rewatch last night, G14 reminds me of a big cool dog. One of those big ones that just kind of obliviously does whatever he wants but never maliciously wrecks things, but sometimes it just happens because, welp, he's a big lad. And even though they shoot at him and stuff, he understands and its not gonna hurt him, so whatever.

Also man those MUTOs are cool. I forgot that. And I do like the bit where they're in the nuclear things facility and they open one of the doors and oh poo poo, daylight and a big hole and a big monster peacing out.

Also some day I hope a Godzilla film uses a bit of that Blue Oyster Cult (I think?) song

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oops, I forgot to actually post what I came here to post
https://twitter.com/mondomascots/status/1024844425153794048

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

I am sick to loving death of people making GBS threads on Aaron Taylor-Johnson in the film. He's perfectly fine in the role.

I will repeat this till the end of time each time some idiot brings it up.

He's fine, the character is just kind of generic most of the time. he has his moments though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

he eats a lot of bananas

e: I was just being flippant there at first but actually, bananas are a bit radioactive, aren't they? yeah, he eats lots of bananas, that's it

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

Kong: those monsters from space, are they bigger than you?
Godzilla: yeah.
Kong: then bring a knife to battle. If they take it off you and breathe lightning on you, you go around their lairs at night and burn them down with their families inside. What's the worst they can do?

the guest was such an odd weird film and dan stevens is amazing

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

also i like how it seems the legendary people are also doing the pokemon in detective pikachu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I had a toy of some weird-rear end dragon that my grandma got me when I was very young. this year I realised it was King Ghidorah. I always wondered where his arms were