Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The red glow looks kind of like Godzilla vs Destroyah. I wonder if they'll re-use "Godzilla is melting down and will contaminate everything"? Although that would make shooting all the guns while he's in the middle of a city a little silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

I know nothing about either these directors (besides that one cool short) or the Godzilla franchise, so take this with a grain of salt. There is one shot of disaster footage in the trailer that really reminded me of post-2011 tsunami pictures. Godzilla being a walking Fukushima seems sort of an obvious route to go at this point in time. The military being really prepared but ultimately useless could be an Abe criticism, or just following Godzilla conventions.

Well those are definitely things you could make a Godzilla movie about. Especially the Abe thing.

How many Godzilla movies aren't anti-military or anti-militarist? I guess you could say Against Mechagodzilla and Final Wars (and maybe Tokyo SOS, not sure).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Elfgames posted:

show me the japanese film where godzilla is an "apex predator" instead of the result of a nuclear attack or weapon

How about where he's the accumulated ghosts of the WW2 war dead?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Is there any place I could watch Godzilla Island with english subtitles? I tried youtube, but some guy made a youtube series with the same name that ruins any attempt I've made at searching.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Godzilla's agency was closeted until the end of the movie. Edwards literally closes the door on Godzilla's rage.

"..... aaand we'll save that for later."

That shot isn't actually in the movie. It's edited for the trailer from two different shots.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The book I have about Godzilla claims that before vs Destroyah Tokyo newspapers published "interviews" with the two monsters as if they were preparing for a sumo bout.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I thought Edwards dropped out of Godzilla 2 because he was still too busy with Rogue One to handle the early work on it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

But the Empire has made Darthgodzilla, which is just Mechagodzilla in Darth Vader's armor.

If they use the Kiryu Mechagodzilla it will also be Godzilla's father.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Watching Shin with the dub AND the subtitles really shows you how much punch was taken out of the dub. It doesn't feel nearly as biting.

It's not necessarily bad, it just feels more conventional.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Is there a subtitle option somewhere?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

My three perfect sons.

E: Also I need to watch more danged Godzilla movies. What are the best ones between the original and 2014?

Final Wars IMO but that's really a love it or hate it film. It's not the most serious of takes.

Original Mechagodzilla is pretty good.

The Return of Godzilla is boss.

I still need to watch vs Hedorah.

vs Mothra and Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster are both great.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I get the impression that the poster isn't using "smoke" colloquially, but rather asking if you could scrape off some bits of Godzilla, load them into a pipe, and smoke them.

Which is an interesting question, honestly.

Given that Godzilla doesn't light himself on fire every time he uses his atomic breath, we can say that he's very hard to ignite.

So you probably can't smoke Godzilla. It might be possible to powder and snort him though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Burkion posted:

Mostly due to radiation poisoning though.

I actually have a comic about this from I want to say IDW.

A famous mountaineer is hired to climb Godzilla wearing a radiation suit to take samples, some dudes shoot at big G but pierce the suit.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I liked vs King Ghidorah a lot more once someone made clear what's actually going on with the time travel: because the book's author and the Futurans incorrectly believe the 1954 and 1984 Godzillas are the same creature (they are not, as seen in vs Destoryah) they create a time loop where they're responsible for turning Godzillasaurus into Godzilla 1984. The reason he disappears is that the Japanese Naval SDF has always sucked at tracking him underwater.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

K. Waste posted:

That's more fan-canon. Return of Godzilla is explicitly about the same Godzilla returning, nobody behaves or even passingly bothers to suggest that it's a different organism of the same species. The phenomenon of his appearance isn't treated as remarkable because there's 'another one,' but because it's the same one. The implication of King Ghidorah is that, even into the 23rd century after Godzilla has destroyed Japan, it's still treated as the same unremitting entity.

Yes, it's textually possible that all of these characters are just really thoughtless, but the simplest explanation is that, ironically, the '54 and '84 Godzillas are the same character, that we're supposed to take abundantly seriously that moving him farther away doesn't stop Japan's reckoning. The EEE makes this 'mistake,' but they're mostly making it up as they go along, more interested in creating King Ghidorah than preventing Godzilla. So Godzilla will always exist, because he's not the product of one inciting incident, the context that creates Godzilla is abundant. Godzilla is not a 'force of nature' who can just be removed physically and thus pacified, or at least minimized. He's a force of prophecy.

To be fair, regardless of how many Godzillas there are the EEE still didn't actually alter the timeline as far as we can perceive.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

In the Heisei films in particular, Kaiju seem to have some kind of "life force" that they can pass between one another, like Rodan to Godzilla in v.MG2 or Godzilla to Godzilla Jr. in v.Destroyah. So while a "new" Godzilla will rise from the ashes of the old, those old spirits still inhabit this new body.

Note that this is different in the Kiryu films, where OG Godzilla's spirit seems to be part of his skeleton (although why he decided to be OK with being a human robot is something I'm not sure about).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Godzilla 98's TV series would probably top out the Heisei rankings for me. Second would be either Biollante or Destroyer. And really, vs Spacegodzilla over vs Mothra?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Paper Kaiju posted:

It's just weird that they describe it like it was a new concept in the vein of the MCU, and not the exact thing they were doing almost 60 years earlier.

It's way older than that, but money people THINK it's a new thing.

Also the Heisei series is mostly OK so I'm on board with a second one.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm still waiting for Godzilla to fight a jormungandr-style Sea serpent.

Godzilla has to be one of the most accessible long running franchises out there because even if you've never seen a Godzilla movie before you know what you're getting by watching one at random. Giant liazard shoots atomic breath and trashes buildings. Sure you can get all continuity focused but even theories don't care that much about consistency and would rather have cool monster fights and occasionally interesting human moments.

Well, you might gently caress up and roll into All Monsters Attack. Looking at the wikipedia page, I just learned that All Monsters Attack was shown as a double bill in the US with Night of the Big Heat, which seems like a version of Signs that makes more sense.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

But destroy all monsters is great and who cares if you can't name anyone but Godzilla and mothra. It's got anguirus hanging off if ghidorah's neck and everyone curb stomping him into oblivion.

All Monsters Attack is the one where Godzilla is a kid's dream sequence and it's all Minilla, all the time.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

If they kill Mothra, I swear.... I'll sing the dang fairy song.

It's gotta be Rodan, he's the least popular of the three and therefor the most likely jobber.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I feel like GMK would have been better if they'd used the monsters the guy wanted, and with some better CGI/compositing, but it was pretty drat good otherwise.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

If I'm watching Heisei with friends, can I just completely skip Space Godzilla? Or should I just show them a few scenes from it?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Bad or boring movies with friends can be fun.

The issue is coordinating schedules is tricky so it's like 3 months between movies. Not sure I want to spend that on Space Godzilla.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

mllaneza posted:

That's one of my very favorites. I'll recommend it for anyone wanting to get deeper into the series. The stuff with the human characters and evil cult carry the movie nicely, plus a lot of good Godzilla characterization. It would stand up without giant monsters, so adding kaiju turns it all the way up to awesome.

It's like a 70s Bond movie with Godzilla. Which I'm now sad isn't a thing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Godzilla has to be using the same PEDs that Olympic sprinters use. Dude was hauling rear end.

Spiderman has already established that having radioactive blood makes you strong, so more rads=more strong.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I would kill for an updated Gigan.

I'd also settle for Megalon but there's no universe where that happens.

Maybe if he jobs to a popular kaiju in a montage.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So right now I think we're at about 3-2 for space/earth Ghidorah origins.

Showa: Space
Heisei: Earth
Mothra Trilogy: Space
GMK: Earth
Final Wars: Space

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

flirty dental hygienist posted:

They need to have Gaborah make an appearance. Hands down one of my favorites from the original series.

The one in Godzilla's Revenge? I fell like you're the first person to ever say that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

GMK has a few really bad composite shots IIRC.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Karloff posted:

Destroy All Monsters could function well enough. Godzilla is just one of many monsters who are mind controlled and set against the cities of earth. Godzilla takes a central focus in pretty much all scenes that he's in because he's the most famous, but you could swap him for something else like the giant condor, and the plot wouldn't need to change much.

The rocket is the real sfx star of the movie anyway.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe Godzilla 14 should have tried that

:rimshot:

I won't say it shouldn't have.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I was just makin' a dumb joke, I like the movie.

Same, but I still stand by what I said.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

That's the Moonlight SY-3 to you, mister!

Of whose commander had an amazing strategy: let the flaming flying saucer cook us to within an inch of our lives, then do loop-de-loops until it gets motion sickness and falls off, then we finish it off with a single missile strike

I was kind of surprised I couldn't find a current model kit of it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Nroo posted:

It certainly influenced some of Toho's decision making in the Heisei series:

Goji's only begotten son Minilla was also created in an attempt to appeal to women, supposedly.

I wonder if Matpat could be talked into doing a Kailua popularity survey like he did for Smash characters.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I was ok with Minila in Final Wars.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

I liked Minilla in Final Wars (then again, I'm one of the few diehard fans that loves Final Wars 100%). I actually gasped out loud the first time I watched it and he let out the full blast atomic breath without help at the end, as that's something he's never done. He's always needed poppa G stomping his tail and stuff to go past the rings.

It's a nice way to cap off the era of suitmation. It's sort of like vs Destroyah in that it ends with Godzilla's kid showing his transition into a worthy heir.

The problem with Minila's scenes wasn't him, it was the goofy-rear end old guy. Everything else is treated more or less sincerely no matter how crazy, but the old guy felt like the movie knew it was a gag.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Burkion posted:

He finally develops into

commiting suicide by attacking Godzilla instead of getting over his irrational hatred. He chose to do that, reject growth as a person and betterment entirely, so that he could abandon his unborn child and lover and all of the people who still looked up to him for support and leadership. While also taking every last scrap of technology with him, because gently caress you doctor who wanted to help people with superior medicine and the future human race, I'm going to be a selfish rear end in a top hat to the goddamn bitter end.

"Everyone sucks and is dumb, you're better off being an anarcho-primitivist or getting killed by Godzilla" seems to be the overarching theme.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

Japan is pretty unique world war 2 wise, they made the movie Godzilla nine years later about it

Godzilla was also inspired by Lucky Dragon No. 5 which happened the same year it came out and inspired the entire opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

See if this works: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daigo_Fukuryu_Maru

A Japanese dude on a fishing boat became the first ever casualty of the hydrogen bomb when they sailed slightly too close to Bikini Atoll at just the wrong moment back in 1954.

Another Radium thing I guess, I pasted the unicode string but it gets fubar when I hit post.