Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I bought and watched Shin Godzilla last night and it's one of the most batshit crazy movies I've ever seen from a film making point of view. Like, all those scenes of people like, doing science that are shot and edited and scored like a Michael Bay action scene, and the sound design in general, just...loving insane. I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Burkion posted:

Like, one thing I feel like I have to emphasize- anyone that complains about the main character in 2014 fundamentally misunderstands him as a character and what his role in the story is.

One of the most groan-worthy moments in Pacific Rim for me is the anime as gently caress "FOR MY FAMILY" in glorious nipponese because it is something that absolutely does not need to be there. Everything she does is 'for her family', why does she bring it up RIGHT THEN? Is it because she finally got to use her stupid sword that the other dude jacked into her brain some how didn't know about? It can't be because she's finally killing a kaiju, because she already killed Leatherback, and she sure as gently caress didn't go into it there.

2014 Godzilla has the exact same moment happen, only it's extremely subtle, earned, and ultimately mirrored.

And it didn't need the main character shouting "THIS IS MY CHARACTER'S FULFILLMENT TOWARDS FAMILIAL LOSS" to get it across.

Jesus Christ just the themes of family, and families being reunited and torn apart, is so on point in 2014. Half of the movie's entire message goes unsaid but is super obvious.

She yells that cause it's a dumb anime and that's why that moment is funny and good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

He was nominated for some pretty big awards for Nocturnal Animals. I mean, he's no Daniel Day-Lewis but I don't think he's Jai Courtney or Sam Worthington either.

He's certainly not Jai Courtney, because Jai was at least fun to watch in Suicide Squad, something boring military man in G14 is 100% not.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

He has like 3 lines in Suicide Squad. As a leading man he's the blandest most forgettable protagonist I've ever seen(in multiple films).

And with only 3 lines and his physical presence he's infinitely more entertaining than military man.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Ghidorah and Gigan are at least on the same weight class as Godzilla, what can guys like the Joker, Dr Octopus or Bizarro can do to him?

Bizzaro has all Superman's powers so...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, what was the deal with that centipede looking thing anyways?

Placeholder.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

You don't know what you're talking about but ok. Do you even watch movies or do you just post about em adhering to the group think because you're simple?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vzL0R1s_RY

How else is he supposed to act in this scene? Jump out the window with the kid in his arm? His acting is perfectly fine in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOpD2wfTVWM

He emotes as one should when confronted with such a thing. There is nothing wrong with his acting.

People are just mad he wasn't some dumb 80s action star.

I just found him incredibly boring.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Does anyone have that list of the future evolutions from shin Godzilla handy?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Still more fun to watch than the anime.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Slutitution posted:

Nah, leave the bright colors to nonsense like Pacific Rim.

Isn't Ghidora bright gold? And Mothra is all sorts of crazy colors.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Godzilla: King poo poo of gently caress (Monster) Island

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Oh hey my suggestion got used in the title. Nice.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skull Island is also the best Vietnam movie in a long time.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Shiroc posted:

The bit in G14 when Godzilla finally is about to fire his atomic breath was one of my favorite moments in a theater. The sound just rumbled and everyone hushed as the blue wound up.

My audience cheered when he did it, and it ruled. One of the most memorable moments in a theater I've had right along with the end of Infinity War.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

So the scientist guy in Shin Godzilla, whose boat they discover at the start of the movie. He transforms himself into Godzilla, yes?

That's the implication.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Because ants don’t have armies going back with intel.

Aren't ants a hive mind?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Why the gently caress is G14 not out in 4k?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Captain Marvel would just fly head first through Godzilla's head and one shot him.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think the plot beats were mostly straightforward but it seems like the character's motivations changed from scene to scene really unnaturally. Like, Serizawa testifies before...Congress? saying that humans should probably accept the fact that we're pets to these powerful creatures. Then a couple scenes later, Emma suggests the very same thing and he gets all salty like "you're going down a dangerous path!!!!"

I can't think of anything positive that Mark added to this movie. Take him and all his screen time out and you've got something really good.

This doesn't happen at all. She is literally trying to control them and influence them via unnatural means. She's upsetting the balance herself by forcibly waking them all up instead of doing what Serizawa said to do which is... Nothing. Let Godzilla handle poo poo.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

So the villains were basically right, outside of Ghidorah being an alien. The ending shows that the kaiju are good for the environment.

Waking them all up by artificial means was probably a mistake and more dangerous than it needed to be. Mothra was already getting up by herself. Let it happen naturally and you have Godzilla in charge from the start, keeping poo poo in line. Trying to control it, like trying to destroy it, was not the answer if you want peaceful cohabitation.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Most of the complaints about this movie just make me want to grab people by the collar and scream about whether they were paying attention at all during it. Like people who are confused and upset about things that are not only literally shown but also spelled out in exposition is baffling to me. It's ok if you don't like the movie, but bitching because you don't understand things it was very clear about makes me incredibly mad and I would like you all to stop making me angry about a movie about a big radioactive dinosaur fighting a dragon.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

My opinion of this movie in more detail than "gently caress YEAH HOLY poo poo":

the human parts were whatever. I didn't really feel any deep connection to anyone, but all the actors did fine, and the jokes all pretty much landed. the bit where someone says something that ends with the word "god," and the quippy scientist guy just quietly goes "zillaaaaaaa" made me lose my loving poo poo laughing for some reason, and the fortune cookie gag got a sensible chuckle out of me. MBB was probably the highlight of the human actors- for a character who's not really given a whole lot to work with, she managed to give Madison a surprising amount of personality.

the monster parts were loving god damned incredible. like holy loving god drat. :stare: like i can say pretty safely that, based solely on the monster parts, this is going to be a movie that people use to demo their new TVs and surround sound systems forever. i had a big stupid grin on my face basically from the moment you hear the first SKREEEEEEEEONK over the company logos straight to the loving end credits. there were several parts that had me, right hand to God zillaaaaaaaa, crying tears of joy at the fact that this movie exists at all.

i have like, literally one tiny complaint with the monster parts, and it's that Ghidorah looks a little wonky in some shots. but that's also clearly in service of making his design more expressive, which I loved. so shrug.

the implication is more that he's threatening and intimidating the other monsters to keep them out of our poo poo. Godzilla's arc in this movie is going from force-of-nature to protector, with Serizawa's sacrifice being the thing that makes it more than just a personal beef with Ghidorah and makes Godzilla understand that humanity is pretty much depending on him.

I could still see them heel-turning the big guy in vs. Kong, but I'm suspecting it'll be a BvS situation where they team up against something else, and I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say it'll be Mecha King Ghidorah.

Severed Ghidorah head effected by the oxygen destroyer= Destroyah. That's my guess.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TowerofOil posted:

Yeah I read that sequence as a GODzilla saying I acknowledge the human sacrifice as my faithful but you are still beneath me.

I took it as him literally going "Oh poo poo too much too much too much" and basically vomiting into the sky.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Like what, for instance?

Not understanding the moms motivation when she literally gives a speech about it. Not understanding how the monsters get around so quickly when you not only see them go through a hollow Earth tunnel, but they have a guy shout about how John Goodman in skull island was right and they get around through hollow Earth tunnels. Like this poo poo is all right there, people are just somehow getting retrograde amnesia for all this poo poo, or just weren't paying attention. If you think the humans were boring or whatever, cool, but don't blame your failure to grasp things the movie screams into your face on the movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

interfior posted:

I think they should have made the mom's motivation be much more of the humans have to go, they are destroying the Earth thing. It would have worked better with the dad being all the kill the kaiju. Then you could have Millie Bobby Brown be the one to convince them of coexistence.

It would be an extremely Godzilla movie thing to have child character connect the kaiju to humanity. It would also justify having the divorced parent plot.

I mean the movie kinda did this, but in kinda sloppy way. They should had made it clearer. It almost seems like they might have changed the mom's story to be more sympathetic at some point.

I thought this was exactly what they did, and I thought it was clear almost to the point of being cliche. Like the mother literally wants to wipe out most humans, the father's entire thing up until the oxygen destroyer is "kill all kaiju, ESPECIALLY that fucker godzilla," and then at the end the kid is what brings them both together.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about where I feel like I watched a different movie than everyone else.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Thanks for the response

To be clear (and not sure if this was directed right at me or the thread in general), I understood mom's motivation well enough. I just thought it was a hard sell and extremely dumb. Not getting the underwater Atlantis tunnels/fast travelling monsters right away I'll cop to although, once I posted it, I remembered that part and edited it in. Still doesn't explain how the humans had fast travel and exactly where the populations of massive cities were supposed to be evacuating to.

I'm glad you liked it but, as exposition heavy as the film was, after a while it got really east to tune out and glaze over with any of the character driven scenes. Was Always Right Dad in the 2014 movie? Is there a reason everyone cedes authority to this dude?

I was entertained enough with the movie and IMAX helped the experience but, a day later, I can't shake the Independence Day comparisons and leaving the theater feeling flat and let down. Someone else asked "why do they have to do this same, stupid Hollywood stuff all the time in these movies?" and I pretty much felt the same way.

Dad wasn't in 2014 movie but they say several times he worked with monarch, along with terrorist mom, before that movie. Him and Serizawa are also good friends from this time, although they've fallen out. Again, all stated in the movie. No authority is ceded to him until after Serizawa dies and makes him the most experienced person there.

The humans get around so fast because they have a magical super fast plane that they literally take a scene out to talk about. All the leads are always in this plane. The terrorists don't move, they're in Boston the entire time after Antarctica.

Most of the cities were probably just going anywhere that wasn't literally ground zero, but they do mention that monarch has a ton of bunkers all over the world in case this happened, and most of the terrorist scenes take place in one, so at least some of them are going there I'd guess.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bought immediately.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Guys. The Invasion of the Astro-Monster cover. You guys.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

HannibalBarca posted:

somewhat miffed that the digital copy of the blu ray apparently (?) has no option for turning on the director commentary

If you're in iTunes it's there.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I find it difficult to see that scene as anything other than Serizawa transforming into a Godzilla.

Thematically that's 100% what's happening. Serizawa is Godzilla now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dammerung posted:

Why do they feel the need to show off and intimidate humans? To me, it made them look either needlessly cruel or frightened of humans. Which is an interesting direction to take the titans in, it almost reminded me of GINO.

And I would disagree about Godzilla not acting negatively - if this isn't malevolence, it's the next closest thing.

Because humans are the other Apex predator. They literally state this in the movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Burkion posted:

It does stand to reason that Godzilla could have two dicks, though.

He's just got the one. What, you thought that was a tail this whole time?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Can't wait to put this right next to my criterion Bergman box set.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I've already pre ordered it in the UK, and it's a gorgeous edition, but honestly its impractical nature is putting me off. Have Criterion said if they are planning a standard release?

It's the same form factor as the Bergman set. Which means no standard edition but if you want to pay them for each movie on its own you might be able to do that over the next several years for way more than the set costs.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Gotta love that ancient humans got along just fine with their kaiju overlords but modern humans gotta either destroy or control them

Ancient people weren't destroying the planet via climate change so the Kaiju had no reason to care about them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Man y'all weren't kidding with the box being loving tall. I've got an inch or so of clearance above my Bergman set and it is still too tall to fit on that shelf. gently caress.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Why didn't they make this Godzilla anime instead?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That sucks. Give me Legendary Hedorah or give me death. You can’t tease a Mecha-King Ghidorah piloted by Charles Dance and then pull the plug.

Whatever that thing was will be the real villain in this, I'm sure.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I like that this version of jet jaguar looks like either a beta version of Mecha Godzilla or like it's based on that design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Not for nothing, but what is even the appeal of a colorized Godzilla?

Everytime they colorize a movie it just looks unnatural.

I assumed they had some new tech for it or something but looking at the trailer screens... Nope.