Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm weirdly familiar with Anno's directorial style and seeing all these Anno-isms in these trailers is strangely titilating. Also that music made me realise that it's Shiro Sagisu scoring this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The buzz I'd been hearing was positive on the other hand. It sounds like it's unlike any other Godzilla movie in the past and to some people it transcends above all of them.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Maybe I'm kinda late in noticing this, but I found a bunch of old concept art images online of the 1998 Godzilla. What's the deal with humanoid Godzilla? It looks like maybe originally the idea was taking advantage of CGI Godzilla more agile and flexible instead of being a stiff-moving suit, rather than being more like a t-rex. The design is really similar to the finished movie, but the way it carries itself is totally different. Did anyone behind the scenes on the movie ever talk about the change?

I kinda like it, it's got a xenomorph or pumpkinhead vibe to it.

I had a Making of Godzilla 98 book at the time and that movie has way more miniature cities and physical Godzilla's than you would think. There are even photos of a dude in a suit.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
It's Japanese 3DCG so it'll be uncanny valley and bad.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
That looks really, really cheap.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Low Desert Punk posted:

I wish I could read Japanese, because I really want to hear the explanation for why Godzilla has an organ in his calf
It's a "Uranium liquid bag."

v:downs:v

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

well why not posted:

shin godzilla just got announced for a super-short run at my local Odeon in the UK. everyone should probably check their local cinemas as i suspect it might be showing at a lot of the Odeon venues.

Super pumped to see this again, on the bigt screen tomorrow night!

Odeon, Picturehouse, and at least one Vue, from what I saw yesterday. All pretty much London only aside from one Brighton showing.

edit: actually I'm an idiot, look yourselves http://shingodzillamovie.co.uk/

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Well, you got half of it right.

I only know 1/6 of those.

edit: the pop things I mean

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I don't think absorption had anything to do with it? It was evolution and adaptation.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Do they never refer to Kong as King Kong in this universe?

If not then Kong is gonna win and be crowned King Kong.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

CityMidnightJunky posted:

This is probably a good a place as any to ask this. When I was a kid, (in the UK) they showed an all night Kaiju marathon that was presented as a sports event, with one on one matchups, commentators calling the fights and presenters in the studio analysing the action. It ended with Godzilla fighting Kong in the main event. The fight ended in the water, and Kong won (Which was loving bullshit by the way, he was fighting Godzilla in the WATER!). Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? I'd love to watch it again.

BBC2 Monster Night. Had a documentary about Godzilla, interludes with Bill Bailey and Phil Jupitus with those bets, concluded with a midnight airing of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah '91. I recorded most of it on VHS but that's gone now. Someone preserved the documentary and I have a digital copy of that, but look around Youtube, maybe archive.org, or other places.

They had a similar night for Doctor Who which I had also recorded and lost.

edit: let's be specific
https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/92b0364341c847ffaab395dc9973443f
edit2: This guy has 4 intervals and the whole documentary in 4 parts: youtube.com/user/zillastyledotcom

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 24, 2018

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

CityMidnightJunky posted:

That's it! Thanks so much for this. This was probably the first real exposure to Godzilla movies for me, and it blew my 12 year old mind.

It's a shame this stuff doesn't get preserved often, and how easy it is to lose the tapes. Glad there's some preservation though, it's a great pre-Millenium documentary.

Edit: In fact, that may well have been the western premiere of vs King Ghidorah since the broadcast was 11th July 98 and the VHS wasn't until later that week, and there wasn't a theatrical release. That's pretty fascinating, what a neat marathon that was.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 24, 2018

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I highly doubt that Toho signed a deal that prevents then from using one of their flagship IPs however the gently caress they please
They literally did that.

Shin Godzilla co-director posted:

“A lot of people have questions. ‘When is the next Japanese Godzilla movie coming out?’ They cannot make it until after 2020,” Higuchi told the G-Fest audience.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3447724/shin-godzilla-sequel-cannot-made-2020/

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I like that the MUTOs are organic stealth bombers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I liked the Wingard/Yamazaki interview because they acknowledged both movies existing to cover the wide spectrum of serious to dumb showa poo poo and that's really how you have to approach them.