Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A small price to pay to get the general population to go see Godzilla vs King Kong without confusing them as to which Godzilla this is and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

gfanikf posted:

Also at an advance screening one person called the film "fascist propaganda" :lol: The two other reviews that I've heard of basically said it was either okay or meh.

Apparently the military in the movie is not the SDF, but an "offensive-oriented" Japanese military (which is fine by me). If you want to know why this is controversial just google Article 9 Japan debate.

Are these reviews in English? Do they elaborate on that?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I noticed that all the Millenium movies are on blu-ray too. Are they worth picking up if you already have the DVDs?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bimmi posted:

Spoiler-free review — does not sound terribly promising, if you ask me.

Oh, and the review may be spoiler-free but the comments definitely are not.

Yikes. I'm all for aspects of what that review talks about but that character stuff brought up is really bad.

Edit: Or maybe it's just commentary that in Japanese society everyone in the workforce is simply reduced to a name and title.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 30, 2016

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The only human drama parts that I really took seriously were the stuff in the original Godzilla. Everything since then is a hit or miss. The more schlocky, silly or weird it is the more I appreciate it. It's why I adore Final Wars because it's just completely dumb and gratuitous. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (the 91 film) is also up there because it, too, was completely schlock with time travelers, meddling with timelines to create new problems, a really awesome android with the ridiculous "chase" scene put to celluoid and all that jazz.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's so drat great to finally see Godzilla 1984 in its uncut glory. I've never seen it before and it's really good!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I completely forgotten that the second greatest scene in Godzilla history (the first being the entire cyborg chase sequence in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah) was in Godzilla 1984: that homeless guy running away from a greenscreen'd Godzilla. It's so loving bad that it wraps around to being absolutely amazing.

That character came out of nowhere in that movie and ended up with the best scene. I had to pause the movie because I was laughing so hard when it happened.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I love the sheer spectacle of over-the-top stupidity of Final Wars. It's probably quite literally what my 12 year old Godzilla fan mind thought should be in a Godzilla film and it's glorious. It's something right out of the Showa age, but with 100x the budget and an insane person directing it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I thought they Godzilla design in the film was really drat great. The only thing I kind of didn't care for were those stumpy feet he had. Godzilla had a really good slumbering giant design. Kind of shlubby but once he got going, he was unstoppable. Most importantly, in tying with the themes, he didn't look completely alien. He looked like he was a natural part of the world rather than a symbol of man-made destruction.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

K. Waste posted:

This is one of the best moments in Godzilla history.

That film is an underappreciated piece of genius. It's a great follow-up of to the very weird Biollante entry.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

So I just watched Godzilla 1984, and I liked it a lot. I see a lot of hate for the movie, and I'm wondering if most people are actually referring to Godzilla 1985, the American version?

I think that version should still be preserved because it's such a fantastic artifact of the Cold War era. The icing is having more Raymond Burr who is always fantastic.

But yeah, it was hated mainly because it added a whole American storyline and was extremely Anti-Russian. They basically hijacked a Godzilla film to put out a Cold War propaganda movie.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Burkion posted:

MST3K version of the latter unironically.

Hedorah is a great movie, it's just also The 70s and might be made of LSD.

Track down Return of Godzilla and watch it the gently caress now. If you like Shin and 54, Return is great

Return is real easy to track down. So it's a great time to pick it up and watch!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

At least Anno isn't becoming more conservative with age and the changing political climate in Japan. He's always been an outspoken critic of that stuff.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's a good summation of the Heisei films. But they're just so charming with their camp and weirdness I can't help but like them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Also, that's on the critics not the brand. If you go into something predisposed to hating it regardless of content, then that's on you to overcome, not the brand.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I finally saw Kong: Skull Island. I liked it a lot. I hope they somehow work Gamera into all this craziness. It's time for the Guardian of the Universe and Friend to All Children to be on the big screen once again.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Pfff, you don't run away from Patlabors. Noa's got your back.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Serizawa was great because he was the audience stand-in. We just gonna see Godzilla and we want to see him fight. Everyone else was all "naw, we got this". Then they loving failed hard then we saw Godzilla fight and it was amazing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

gently caress I was about to post that

I love the Legendary Godzilla's beer gut. The King of the Monsters is just one, big shlub.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

98 Godzilla did certainly have a unique design. I wasn't that big a fan of the "super-sized dinosaur" look, personally. I was hoping they'd keep with tradition and change the look of this Godzilla a little bit, though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nah, that's Commadore 64 levels of bad.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Seriously though, jokes aside, that's N64 levels of bad. Not only does it have tons of jaggies those textures look like vomit and poop.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That would be the greatest thing to happen to modern cinema.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm wondering if they'll use the same Godzilla design as Shin in a new Japanese Godzilla film or change it up. I liked Shin's weird, gross design a lot but I think the American Godzilla is just mastercraft.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's true that hopefully no other culture will ever have the same sort of relationship with nuclear power and weaponry that the Japanese do, but also I think Americans can think that nukes are bad because they are.

Tell that to the commander-in-chief.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They should dust off the Biollante Godzilla suit, make some improvements and use that one again. I think that's the best Godzilla design of the bunch. My favorite.

Edit: Actually, just remake Godzilla vs. Biollante.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can someone post that gif of Godzilla doing multiple amazing things with the Oppenheimer speech text over it? I purged my harddrive and forgot to back that piece of art up.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bad or boring movies with friends can be fun.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope that one coming out of the ground with many claws is a good guy. It's tearing up an oil pumping site and that's a good thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh poo poo, it's all starting to make sense!!

That'd be incredible.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Needs more cow bell!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Chonk Godzilla is best Godzilla and I won't have anyone trash talk my sweet sweet son!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Who gives a poo poo. Heisei gave us this so it will forever be the best series of films. Historical fact is on my side. Argue if you must but it changes nothing. NOTHING!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Why isn't this movie out yet? Why isn't it next Tuesday (the earliest I'll be able to see the film)?!?!?!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Film critics are by and large worthless, so I wouldn't worry about the scores.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can we just ban critics who say poo poo like this. It's incredibly tiresome and such a non-criticism. "The film isn't what a monster film is supposed to be therefor bad."

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I saw it this morning. I enjoyed it. From a direction stand-point, I think it's half the movie Godzilla '14 was. I have to think on the film more but, overall, the positives outweigh the negatives. It definitely would have benefited from stronger direction and better pacing - for the problems I had with Godzilla '14, Gareth Edwards knows how to direct scenes and frame shots. Michael Dougherty isn't half the filmmaker he is. You aren't allowed for dramatic beats to set before something new kicks off.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Godzilla film by Zack Snyder. Would be awesome. Bonus if they include the Mothra meme because that would be unironically fantastic.

Will get critically panned for that scene and all the destruction.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tekne posted:

King Ghidorah is toxic masculinity personified. The Golden Demise attacks or destroys what displeases him, demands others serve him, and reshapes the world to his liking with merciless violence.

You should see his youtube channel. Screaming about the fall of Western culture, how all women are decadent sluts chasing after those Godzilla chads, FEMINISM in video games. It's a mess. Maybe the Mothras of the world would be into him if his personality wasn't trash.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That was literally what my son's favorite moment was. "Dad, the best part was when Godzilla went Super Saiyan."

Godzilla beat up the big bad guy and all his former enemies became his friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

Having "ecoterrorists" as villains in 2019 is just irresponsible, we are not in the 90s anymore, Tom Clancy has been dead for some time already. But hey we need to use Ospreys so the military is incompetent but not THAT incompetent this time, support the troops!1

This was part of my problem too. The first film was from the point of view of one character who happened to be military (and who were ineffectual). This had way too much military "check out all these cool toys" poo poo. And yeah, having ecoterrorists is such an outdated boogeyman, doubly so that we're a decade away from poo poo going bad. I also wish they'd move away from that "alpha" nonsense too. The guy who originally presented it debunked it years ago. As it turns out, the "alpha" of a pack tends to be the parent of the rest of them.