Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The weak roar and shakey puppet head at the end are terrible. The rest looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I really don't get what's going on with the trains in that trailer. :iiam:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

From what I heard working with Toho and then Disney killed Edwards enthusiasm for big budget film.

Actually my understanding is that loving up Rogue One and leading to extensive reshoots where he had to have a babysitter on set killed Legendary's enthusiasm for working with Edwards again, especially given Godzilla's mediocre reception.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

Skull Island outright has a giant squid. Also about the first clear cut case of one Kaiju preying on another for the purpose of food.

Don't the Muto's eat and lay eggs in Godzillas and the Skullcrawlers eat Kongs? Or do you mean specifically shown on screen?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

JVR is part of a new generation of Directors who will build on brand on stuff like that. He's ability to reach out to fans and his transparency will make his career. In that way he's very much at the ahead of older but still fresh directors like Edwards, Trank and Trevorrow. Imagine is Snyder had this level of communication with fans and the critical world. He's brand might not be poison.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Has the new Digimon series finished yet? Is it worth a watch and is it available in the UK anywhere?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So in other words it's an anime.

And a Godzilla film.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

935 posted:

Just noticed the little stick figure people fighting along side Godzilla in the first cave drawing

Theres even a MUTO joining in.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

1stGear posted:

I'm wondering if this is how Legendary will keep the universe running after Kong v Godzilla and the Godzilla license running out. Big G will be gone but there will be a bunch of other Titans to make movies about.

Legendary have said they are done after Kong v Godzilla. They plotted out the story to have a beginning, middle and an end.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The Monarch website has been updated with profiles for all of the featured Monarch personnel in the film bar a couple of exceptions. Interestingly it disproved one major fan theory.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

David Strathairn is back on the military side of things, so that is nice continuity.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Violator posted:

Godzilla vs Kong delayed?

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3566316/godzilla-vs-kong-may-pushed-back-release-date-later-march-2020/

https://deadline.com/2019/06/warner-studio-toby-emmerich-peter-roth-dc-netflix-godzilla-vs-kong-kevin-tsujihara-1202629538/

Included both articles so you can see Deadline's snark about BO performance. Argh. Why do I always follow doomed franchises?! It's my understanding that they already filmed GvK so it's not like they can just cancel it at this point at least.

Edit: Here's the plot summary:

So whatever is left of King G is re-made into a new monster to kill the titans and G and K will have to team up to stop it just like folks here speculated. Maybe Vs movies are just hard, but KOTM and KvG really feels like they're using a lot of BvS broad strokes.

I feel like, if they really aren't performing well, this feels like it could be a good conclusion to the franchise.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

FWIW, SMG is one of the most ignored posters on this forum, precisely for this type of bullshit.

So maybe try that button out.

Wasn't he banned until recently?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Also, how the hell did I not notice Joe Morton the first time I saw it? More importantly, why the gently caress was Joe Morton in the movie for like 20 seconds? Did he have a much bigger role that got cut?

He's playing one of the founders of Monarch, and a character previously in Kong Skull Island. I assume he will have more to do in GVK.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I've already pre ordered it in the UK, and it's a gorgeous edition, but honestly its impractical nature is putting me off. Have Criterion said if they are planning a standard release?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

It's being reshot in light of peoples issues with King of the Monsters. New effects work, cutting out some human scenes, etc. It'll probably be the last Legendary film simply because they are on track to be commercial disappointments across the board. It was never intended to be the last.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I know this is going to be a biased thread to ask this in, but I've never seen any of the Gamera films; if I love the majority of Godzilla films are they worth a blind buy?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

You've known me across the forums across the years.

How much do you like the really goofy Godzilla movies?

Like the REALLY goofy ones. Megalon, Gigan...really those two are the closest that fit. Hedorah has way better production values and a way better monster than most of Gamera.

That's most of the entire Showa Gamera set. You've got the original, which is a sort of serious but lower rung stand alone kaiju film, you've got VS Barugon which is mostly about Barugon and some times has Gamera, and then you have the rest. VS Gyaos is easily the best of the bunch and it's also the one where the military starts taking active advice from a small child.

These are the films that made Kenny be a thing in kaiju talk. Jiger is a war crime against good taste, Gurion goes so far into the cheese that it comes back around, and Zigra...sure has a reasonably attractive woman in a bikini for some portion of its run time.

Viras is almost inspiring in how inept it is.

Then you get the Heisei Trilogy which is basically Good drat Movies and The Brave is taking the IDEA of the Showa Gamera films but making a good modern movie out of it.

This sold me on them. If Gamera is the last thing these forums give me before they fade away then thank you Burkion.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I don't like how they are standing on an aircraft carrier.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Is Gorgo actually available to watch or buy anywhere? I loved it as a kid, and saw it long before I saw any Godzilla film.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The Art of Godzilla vs Kong book has just moved back to a November release date on Amazon.

Its most likely a mistake but the last time it happened it was a sign that the film had been delayed into next year.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if Legendary are unhappy with the film and given everything just decide to release it on VOD at the end of this year.

No advertising to speak of out yet, supplier and merchandise contracts to offer and maybe poor tracking?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

With how well the previous set performed and subsequent Kaiju releases from other companies selling out you've got to imagine that Criteron and others are trying to secure the rights for another boxset or similar.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Anyone know if War of the God Monsters is worth a blind buy? Its available for preorder now.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

Beast is pretty much only good for the effects and nothing more. The short story is also one of the best kaiju prose anything in history, for the record. That thing *captures* what it means to be a kaiju story

Are there any good kaiju novels?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Have we spoke about Shin Ultraman being delayed indefinitely?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Bring back Gareth Edwards and/or Jordan Vogt-Roberts.

Jordan Vogt-Roberts seems to be entirely locked up by Mental Gear Solid/nearly being killed in Vietnam these days and Gareth Evans seems to have pissed off the Hollywood gods with whatever went down during Rogue One. A shame as they did direct the two best Monsterverse entries.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

david_a posted:

Corridor Crew did a video on that knight. I didn’t like their recreation much, but it was more about explaining the process. The video gives a lot of insight into how that effect was pulled off back in the day.

https://youtu.be/mnhS36GdM9s

There recreation of the T-Rex Breakout from Jurassic Park is laughably terrible. Also, a lot of my industry friends who are working on things like the new Mission Impossible say that CC basically don't know what they are talking about in there "Reacts" series.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Has nothing come of the John Carpenter tease yet? I would've thought we would of heard more by now, especially given G-Day.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I loved Singular Point. Where is the second series of that?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Violator posted:

Here's more info. Obviously don't know if it's real and I read a few lines but not sure if I want everything spoiled. But maybe for these movies it doesn't matter.

https://cinemaphile.com/godzilla-x-kong-the-new-empire-leaks-348190/

Not a huge fan of inventing new monsters of the week. Pretty wild they blew threw all of the most famous big bads and aren't going to dig deeper into the catalog. Maybe to save money licensing?

This is exactly what the problem is. They are licensing the kauji on a per film basis, so they didn't want to pay for this one. Which makes sense. GvK was meant to be the last bow for the franchise as it had underperformed and the Godzilla deal was at an end. Then that made a good amount of money due to the pandemic and Legendary pressed forward but with a reduced budget.

That said the Muto's are great and so are the Skull Crawler so maybe they can strike gold again.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Time to open my wallet again. Goddamn.

I'd hold off personally, Hiya Toys has the license now for Toho Godzilla's and their Legendary monsters have put SHMA to shame for half the price.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

How do they "feel" compared to SHMA? I have a decent SHMA collection and aesthetically everything matches.

They are quiet a bit larger than SHMA, but all in scale with each other. Their GvK Godzilla stands about an inch taller than the SHMA one.

But, they "feel" much better. They feel like sturdier figures, I've not had a problem with joints coming loose or with the rubber parts (for example Kongs diaper on the SHMA figure) being warped out of the box.

I also feel like they have nailed the designs much better, but honestly that's as much because they are released years later, so not based off concept art as anything else.

I have full faith in the line though, I'm replacing my SHMA one's slowly but surely when Hiya brings out their version.

Just waiting on their already announced Ghidorah now, and an eventual Mecha Godzilla from them.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/scifijapan/status/1679709617159573504?t=S6H293yJ-V1AHMzRxQ1Bvg&s=19

That's nice to see. Those last few tweets of the borked subtitles were sad.

That's good. Any sight of a UK release yet?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Yeah, I'm fairly sure those are his old spine's too from that film.

Flashback maybe?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I like that a lot. I always thought it was odd we didn't get an older James Conrad after Skull Island, and was actually fairly sure Charles Dance was.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Doesn't look bad. It's cool that they brought back John Goodman. I've never been interested in the lore of Monarch but I'll watch anything with Godzilla in it.

I'd be interested in the lore of Monarch if it was the organization we see in 2014 and Skull Island. I'm less interested in the version from KotM and on.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

I saw what reminded me of Kumonga so I'm hopeful for more giant enemy spider action.

I think that shot, and any of the shots of John Goodman, are just footage from Skull Island. I think.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Meanwhile New Empire is being directed by Adam Wingard again, which I didn't realize until just now, so I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Missingnoleader posted:

Someone (Red Menace) made a version where the subtitle text (for people and vehicles) was just English but its the same sorta typeset as the original japanese one.

Do you have a link to this? I can't find a current one. I have PMs if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

ET is gross. A weird little turd on legs. I hated him as a child and I hate him now.

Yeah, there's something about ETs design that I find physically repulsive.