Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Shiroc posted:

Godzilla Raids Again is really, really bad. Its just bad Godzilla footage bolted onto a B movie about pilots working for a fishery. How did they possibly end up on thatas the way to follow up Gojira?

It was greenlit at a party a couple weeks after the original hit theaters, Honda wasn’t available to direct, and it was completed and released in theaters less than 6 months after Godzilla ‘54. It’s honestly impressive that they were able to cobble together an entire movie so quickly.

It’s definitely poo poo, but the silver lining is that the new suit they created for it was way more mobile and comfortable and would go on to be a sort of prototype for later suits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Karloff posted:

Thanks both, I think at least in my head then I am going to think of the special effects directors as co-directors because the character and spirit of the monster sequences are a strong attraction to the film.

I’m still new to the thread, so bear with me if it’s been discussed here before, but there’s a really great book about Tsuburaya that goes into this a little more. A friend got it for me last year and I couldn’t put it down once I started. It’s definitely worth checking out if you can find it. The dude was an absolute genius with some incredibly talented guys working with him.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That sucks. Give me Legendary Hedorah or give me death. You can’t tease a Mecha-King Ghidorah piloted by Charles Dance and then pull the plug.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

HannibalBarca posted:

Protagonist Man, Daughter, and Contractually Obligated Chinese Scientist are all returning IIRC

All the bad characters, got it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Anyone have any hints or secret methods for attaching the tail on a NECA Godzilla figure? The ball and socket joint will not snap in and in the meantime, Godzilla's loving spikes are shredding the poo poo out of my fingers.

Also, thanks NECA for making an awesome looking Rodan figure whose wing-joint broke the first time it was moved.

Run both ends under hot water for a little bit to make the plastic more pliable.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

These were from a toy expo in Hong Kong.

https://i.imgur.com/B2OxYNC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lbzKTWV.jpg

Also Godzilla has Trendmasters battle armor for some reason

Oh ok, so MechaGodzilla showing up will be how Kong and G reach the inevitable stalemate.

Just have the balls to let Kong win, Legendary :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I saw the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy in a theater tonight and I’m not sure what to make of it. The first one is like a Disney Channel original movie, the second is more or less The Last Crusade recast with kids, but it’s barely a Mothra movie. The third is the most conventional monster flick of the trilogy but it really doesn’t have any of the humor from the first two and it’s pretty dull for long stretches.

I did like the painfully cute and fuzzy Mothra designs that seemed to transform and change every 30 minutes though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Burkion posted:

Grand Ghidorah has such a great design, but the actual suit is stiff as Hell and kind of stunted.

I really like most of the designs in that third one but I had a hearty laugh at Ancient Ghidorah’s thicc muscular running legs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I love all the Heisei movies because they’re some of the first G-films I ever saw, but yeah, the last few aren’t great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I thought SOS was kind of dull but Against Mecha is okay. The Millennium Series as a whole kinda leaves me cold except for All-Out Attack and the sheer novelty and insanity of Final Wars.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The movie is also incredibly boring. I went to the Rifftrax Live version a few years ago and even the MST3k guys couldn’t make it watchable. It’s a total snooze, which is just inexcusable for a giant monster movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Rebirth of Mothra 2 has a gross little furby who golden showers the camera, there’s nothing like it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Someone realized there was an extremely toy-friendly license sitting around only putting out $30+ and $150+ action figures.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Monopoly recently put out a “Millennial Edition” that basically poo poo on anyone who isn’t a trust fund baby making 7 figures, so I wouldn’t hold my breath for something like that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Gigan is my favorite “how is he even alive” monster.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
King Caesar deserves to look like poo poo because he’s a dumb monster to begin with. :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Didn’t they freeze and kill Destroyah?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
More Arrow Video Gamera Collection news

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1230556686751940608?s=21

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mantis42 posted:

Hard to justify double dipping when I have the DVD collection and most Gamera movies are bad but still neat.

Yeah that price is probably reasonable given the quality of the set itself, but most of those movies just aren’t good enough to justify it for me personally. I’ve got one of the OOP blu volumes and the MST3k box, so I’ll just wait and see if this ever shows up cheap during a Fopp or B&N sale.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Watch the Heisei movies. They’re all over the place in quality but they’re also fun as hell and there’s a lot of creative insanity, like a balding cyborg who works for future aliens and runs after Jeeps like the Six Million Dollar Man.

Also the coolest monster in the series is the result of someone genetically splicing the cells of a rose with a guy’s dead daughter. And also Godzilla? I can’t remember, it’s been ages.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

:hmmyes:

I’ve been working my way through the Ultraman blu-ray set and it’s loving rad. I even like the dumb comic relief members of the science patrol.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don’t hate KOTM, I just think it’s a giant mess that isn’t even half as interesting and crazy as it could have been. It’s like a big pile of missed opportunities.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I watched it for the first time not that long ago with some friends who insisted we watch the longer cut and I enjoyed the hell out of it. :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I just think KOM had a loving terrible main cast aside from Charles Dance. Generic Action Dad from Friday Night Lights is just so bland and terrible.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’ve been working through my Ultraman set again this week and I just love it so much. The monsters are all a hefty step down from the G-films but it makes everything so endearing.

Ultraman is a loving war criminal though, he will tear limbs and face flaps off of monsters without a second thought :stonk:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Biollante owns, Heisei owns, to hell with the perfectly valid criticisms of the entire series. I just love how insane they all are.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
KotM isn't great, but at least it's watchable. Godzilla '98 has huge stretches that are just boring as poo poo as Matthew Broderick tries and fails to be funny and/or charming.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Minilla has got to be my least favorite Showa design, I hate him so much. Just a dumb green turd with eyebrows.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

HannibalBarca posted:

bad news for any of us still clinging to hope for Godzilla vs. Kong getting released this year:

You’re probably right, but it’s also not uncommon for movie concept art books to come out after the film if the book contains spoiler stuff.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gripweed posted:

damnit Godzilla vs Ghidorah/Godzilla vs Mothra shot up to 40 bucks on Amazon. I know that there's stuff going on in the world right now, but still it's hosed how hard it is to get the Heisei Godzillas on Bluray

I’m so glad I snapped all of these up when they came out. Although, my copy of Biollante is paired with some lovely Asylum-esque z-grade creature feature, which kinda sucks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I have the Megalon blu, it’s by some place called Tokyo Shock.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I know it’s kind of impossible at the moment, but I highly suggest watching the Heisei films with a group because they’re all insane in unique ways and make for very entertaining movie nights. I know that series is flawed and has its detractors, but I love it to pieces.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Did they shrink Godzilla to make Kong’s height less ridiculous?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, even with Kong growing between films Godzilla looks way smaller. Compare it to G swimming alongside the carrier in the 2014 movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
G84 isn't my favorite and it has some dull stretches but I'm pretty sure the american edit is the first Godzilla I ever saw. It was either that one or SpaceGodzilla super early one morning before school back on Starz or Showtime or something.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

One day in the early to mid 2010s I went to Amazon and bought Biolante on bluray on a whim for $8.

I don't think I paid more than $20 for a single Godzilla movie. Criterion book set thing nonwithstanding. Heck, I don't think I paid more than $20 for their standalone Gojira.

For a while the Sony Heisei/Millennium double-packs could be found at Walmart for less than $10 each, so I snapped all of them up when I could. I think I paid full price for G84 when it came out but that was the only pricy one.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Aren’t the Mothra Twins semi-psychic?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gripweed posted:

The Godzilla museum has just dropped some big news, after Godzilla vs Kong they're planning to make seven remakes of the original Godzilla

I’d be down for seven Godzilla remakes if they’re giving each one to a different director and just letting them go hog wild with complete control and get their own unique takes on it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My favorite Shin thing will always be his tiny beady eyes and his dumb little mismatched teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
All those Sofubi dudes own, I love weird “off color” Godzilla toys. Now that I’ve got a 3D printer I’ve been trying to find any STLs or OBJs of the various Showa monsters so that I can print them in weird filaments, but it’s just a complete ghost town on all the usual sites.

The only ones I can consistently find are G’14, which, ehhhhh...