Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Adam Wingard is slated to direct Godzilla vs King Kong. I can't imagine how his sensibilities will translate to giant monster action but at least we know the sound design will be top notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

idgi has he not seen shin yet?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Kong: those monsters from space, are they bigger than you?
Godzilla: yeah.
Kong: then bring a knife to battle. If they take it off you and breathe lightning on you, you go around their lairs at night and burn them down with their families inside. What's the worst they can do?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Godzilla 2014 was good but then shin Godzilla came along and there's no real reason to go back.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I see this a lot and I can't figure it out. I saw fewer bad CG shots in Shin than I do in many movies that had eight or nine times its budget.

That scene wasn't CGI. None or drat near none of the effects in Independence Day were.

I recall reading that some of the cgi in shin was deliberately bad, when Anno came on to direct he made the effect artists roll back to less finished versions. The early Godzilla forms, the blood gushing out of its gills, and the evolution shot are pretty janky, but as a stylistic choice it works to disarm the viewer so when the big form shows up it's that much more effective

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

VanSandman posted:

The meetings moving from room to room has a purpose. Some rooms are 'Official' meeting rooms, where minutes have to be taken and the meeting recorded, others are not. When the administration thinks it knows whats going on it goes official, when it turns out they have no idea, it goes unofficial.

The purpose is that it's a good joke that despite all the hustling to and fro nothing gets accomplished, thus the meeting in a stairwell getting the same style title as the official conference rooms

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

It's easy to overlook amid all the spectacle but the real gut punch in shin is that one long pull out shot followed by real photos of the atomic bombing aftermath

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't feel like I know what godzilla vs kong even IS in this universe. King kong is like 100 feet tall and godzilla is like 1000 feet tall and has a bunch of superpowers.

They have made kongs and godzillas that make sense to have fight, these ones seem like, the power levels don't match up at all. Is kong gonna like, climb all over godzilla and poke him in the eyes or something?

Giant monster sized Home Alone-style traps on skull island like the third act of You're Next

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Godzilla looks like a dog halfway through getting dropped in a pool

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I love the flashing lights closeup shot/teeny tiny emergency services vehicle reveal in shin

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The guest is on Netflix for anyone who hasn't seen it, and it's a quick 99 minutes

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Godzilla is just standing way in the background wearing the same stilts he had when he stood up in the middle of the ocean in king of the monsters

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The Blu-ray is the same as the original issue.

Here's some of what Blu-ray.com said about the 4k disc:

If you are wondering, 2160p was not a typo. This transfer is from a 2k digital intermediate so it, "...technically makes this an upscale."

4k is 2160p. 2k isn't a commonly used term for video resolution, are you saying the digital intermediary was 1080p?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The prologue is some real Adam wingard poo poo. Disappointed "looking for the magic" didn't get used

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Wish there was less dumb bullshit. Flouride jokes were old fifty years ago

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol they did the same thing with Shin, which they also decided to extend its theatrical run due to its popularity. Have a little more self confidence Toho!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

They took it out of all the imax screens around here though :mad:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

I can watch Shin Godzilla over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Desumaytah posted:

This is my exact opinion on the movie except I'm also headbanging to the end credits and proposing to the girl I love during the Mothra waterfall scene (She said no).

lol dude,