Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I watched GMK for the first time tonight. All of the monster sections are filmed so strangely that they look more like the Barkley commercial than a main Godzilla movie. Its like it was trying to hit the camp of the 60s and 70s look but with modern film techniques and quality and it just make things look really cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

I love the look of GMK, one of my favs. The Gamera trilogy by that director is also great, maybe a bit more the look you'd like. I watched Biollante on blu-ray recently, still great, I don't think it looks any better than GMK though myself for example. Do you like the look of other 2000s Godzilla films, or tokusatsu stuff etc?

I had just watched the two Millenium Mechagodzilla movies a couple days earlier and everything there looked more like how I'd expect mid-2000s suit monsters to be. I've seen all of the 2000s ones except Megaguirus and GMK is the only one that I can remember looking quite this way.

I'm watching the blurays with the double packs in them, in case those changed how anything looked.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Is Final Wars the only main series movie that make Godzilla's presence into an entirely cuttable subplot? There is still a complete plot with just the aliens and mutants stuff. Even if you left the other monsters in for the Godzilla-less version, they can just be fought by the Gotengo.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I'm still watching all of the Heisei and Millenium movies. MechaGodzilla 2 has been the overall best of the Heisei series. I did enjoy how Ghidorah is so plotwise and politically bonkers.

The only two I have left that I haven't seen before at some point are SpaceGodzilla and Megaguirus, which I understand are both extremely not good.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I liked how (at least on the subtitles of the Sony bluray), the ex-wife offers to get back together with Indiana Jones as long as he doesn't sell the Cosmos to the evil western businessman.

I came for the kaiju. I wasn't expecting such beautiful reconciliation and romance.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

If I was introducing someone who hadn't seen a Godzilla movie before, I'd probably have them watch the original, to see the highest artistic achievements of Godzilla as a drama, followed by Final Wars as the one with the highest achievements playing the concept as a goof.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Did Criterion ever end up doing anything with all of the Showa Godzilla movies they got the rights to past the original?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I just finished watching Megaguirus and it was better than I was expected it to be. The fight between Godzilla and Megaguirus felt like a cartoon against how seriously the rest of the movie played but it worked. If it had any problem is was that the entirety of the Megaguirus subplot was just padding because the Godzilla: Defender Of Clean Renewable Energy main plot wasn't long enough and somewhat redundant with 84.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

The teasing and cutting away in 14 deeply frustrated me, especially with the "tut tut children, JAWS never showed the shark*!" justifications from the director. I feel like it could have worked if handled differently but it felt like an active disdain for the audience who wanted to see the monsters more. There were so many incredible shots and scenes with the kaiju that I would have absolutely believed they could get another few more in without diminishing them.

*I haven't seen Jaws in a while but my recall is that when they finally showed Jaws, they didn't shy away from it for the rest of the movie when it was called for.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Cythereal posted:

The thing about Oahu is that if you pay attention, they did show the entire fight - it continues on the tv the kid is watching. It's just that the fight consists of male MUTO lunging at Godzilla, Godzilla ripping him off, and male MUTO flying away. There was never a huge brawl in the city. The second cutaway, Las Vegas, is just female MUTO walking through the city.

That is part of the dumb teases though. It actively goes "HURR! It's on the TV you schmucks!" and then no one in the subsequent scene even seems to care that the TV is showing gigantic monsters fighting each other in Hawaii.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

The bit in G14 when Godzilla finally is about to fire his atomic breath was one of my favorite moments in a theater. The sound just rumbled and everyone hushed as the blue wound up.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I really wish I hadn't sold my bluray copy of Biollante. I didn't expect it to go out of print and get so expensive.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I saw KOTM for the second time today because I got $8 off from buying Kong Skull Island. I really enjoyed it both times but I don't actually recommend it to anyone because I feel like it is so specifically made for people who like a particular form of Godzilla movies. Whoever it was that made the joke about it being Showa with Heisei characteristics nailed it. It is weird to me that the studio actually thought this would do particularly well in the US.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I felt like Kong had a somewhat similar relationship to the humans as KOTM Godzilla. He killed pretty much everyone who threatened or attacked him. He didn't seem especially like a protector of the Skull Islanders specifically, they just didn't threaten him at all. Kong just really hated the Skullcrawlers who were the biggest threat on the island.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

The problems of the movie for me completely fell away in how happy I was to see Godzilla appear to fight Ghidorah with the original theme playing and Mothra hatching with hers.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I hope King Ghidorah's heads having distinct personalities becomes more of a thing, because it's fun and comedy gold.

What personality was the right head supposed to have? The middle and left ones were the only ones really communicated as the boss and the goof.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

That happened to me too. They routed it to the wrong state.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

dentist toy box posted:

The classic media dvds from like 2007 had the same line. So itís a problem with the source.

I'm seeing it as well. It seems strange that it is on all three of these movies instead of just one of them.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Violator posted:

This seems like kind of a big deal? Have they said anything or has anyone asked about it?

Blu-ray.com's review says it is terrible splices in the source material. It is easier to see what it is in the screenshots they have there.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Godzilla Raids Again is really, really bad. Its just bad Godzilla footage bolted onto a B movie about pilots working for a fishery. How did they possibly end up on thatas the way to follow up Gojira?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I really liked KOTM but whenever someone heard me talk about it and thought they should see it too, I had to tell them "uh, you probably shouldn't." I don't think there is any movie that I've enjoyed as much that I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I thought the original King Kong vs. Godzilla was only just fine and its weird to me how that pairing remains the fascination and the culmination of the Legendary series. Kong doesn't seem like he'd be dramatically if any more relevant to the non-kaiju fan audience than Godzilla at this point and Godzilla's big recurring nemeses are Ghidorah and MechaGodzilla.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I watched Godzilla vs. Megalon a couple days ago and it is really wild how the series went from Gojira to that.

Vs. Megalon also read extremely gay. The kid being Goro's "brother" seemed more like an early 70s euphemism for him being the adopted son of Goro and other guy. No women have speaking roles in the movie at all. I'm not sure if the centerfolds taped to the back of the container truck are trying to say that those two guys are the only straights in the movie or if its saying they're just trying too hard to appear as such.

I also like how the essays in the Criterion set slowly go from explaining the artist value of the movies to "listen, the crew did their best."

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I did think Vs. Megalon was better than some of the other Showa ones. Tonally it felt more like a Power Rangers episode with how goofy the whole tag team battle was. It was a level of sustained stupid that none of the movies before or after it that make it more of an outlier to me.

I found Son of Godzilla to be the worst because it seemed like an extreme misfire of trying to create Minilla as a cute character and having nothing of interest really happening in it. It was just felt overly long and punishingly dull.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

The design for Spacegodzilla himself is pretty cool in a completely over the top way. Could the actor really even move with all of the junk on the suit?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I bought the original Mothra today and I'm excited to see it for the first time.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Yeah, I loved it. Mothra as an amoral, anti-capitalist, anti-American indigenous goddess rules. I think it would be one that I would recommend to people who aren't already into kaiju movies.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I thought the mystery was pretty straightforward in that the not-Americans probably didn't survey, half assed it, or found the natives and didn't particularly care. Nelson had the map that seemed like it was leading him to something/the fairies, so he clearly know more than he was saying.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I really enjoyed KOTM in spite of it being a mess because the music and my overall love for seeing the monsters kept me through it.

I haven't seen the anime ones but I have the Monsterarts toy of the Godzilla because its a fun design.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Older Godzilla movies have better distribution in Japan, right? I can see the idea that Godzilla is smaller business in the rest of the world but getting at least okay releases of all of the movies shouldn't be so loving ridiculous and patchwork.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Biollinate feels like it comes out ahead of the rest of them as far as being completely bonkers. Ghidorah is a close second.

The Heisei monster designs and suits are so good, even if they were too bulky to actually move in.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

First act of the movie is Godzilla vs Kong, the second is the real villain but he's too big, third act is the humans figuring out how to make Godzilla and Kong even bigger and the final battle.

The effort to make Godzilla and Kong big will naturally be referred to as Project Jet Jaguar.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 25, 2020

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Nah Gripweed is right and those just reference the key scenes in the movie when Godzilla uses his full power level like in Power Rangers. The monsters always get big at the end.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Biollante being the rarest of them all feels right too. "So, there's the one, where Godzilla fights a giant flower but its also the scientist's daughter. It turns into a gigantic tentacle monster that looks more evil than Godzilla but its actually good and wins. It ends with the daughter's face appearing in the sky as the plant monster goes into space. No, Godzilla doesn't die he just kinds of decides this is bullshit and leaves I guess."

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I like how they include the Monsterverse and anime Godzillas so you know that not including the 98 one was an deliberate choice.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

The Shin Godzilla design is really, really good within the movie but I feel like its too grotesque to be a general use design. I've found it slightly odd how Toho has been using it on so much general branding right now because of that.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

This is the only toy I have of Shin which I love because its so gaudy and ridiculous

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

edit 2: that hot pink and gold one was an exclusive at the Godzilla shop in Tokyo but was also imported to Kinokuniya book stores.

Yeah, I got it at Kinokuniya. At least in Seattle, they created a decent sized Godzilla section last year and have kept it stocked with lots of neat things. I've gotten a similar translucent blue Ghidorah from GMK, a bunch of neat colored blind box mini vinyl kaiju, a keychain of the Oxygen Destroyer and a bunch of other stuff. They have really cool art books too but since I can't read any Japanese other than literally the names of the monsters, they're too expensive for me to buy.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I got people to come with me to see the 2014 Godzilla and it did not go well. I've accepted that Godzilla is going to be one of my "weird interests." I do recommend the original one and Shin as the only ones for people who aren't already into kaiju movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbf shin Godzilla could be replaced with like, a flood or even a nebulaous budget crisis and the core drama of the movie would be unchanged. It's only a kaiju movie in the sense that a giant monster is in it

That's pretty true of a lot of the movies though. The kaiju are very rarely not allegories or metaphors unless you get into ones like Godzilla vs. Megalon which is still more gay couplings than about monsters fighting.

edit: I also think that the very particular design of Shin is part of the drama of the movie and replacing it with a more conventional Godzilla would make it work significantly less well. That they're facing a super hosed up and ever evolving problem is important. Even the final 'victory' leaves this gigantic, grotesquely horrible thing laying there in plain view for everyone to see and know it could come back to life at any moment because they don't really understand what it is.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 19, 2020