Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I don't want to ruin further jokes but I am anyway, for anyone who wanted to know, Godzilla's pterodactyl friend is called Radon in Japan. They changed it in English to Rodan to be different from the element, even though apparently the element is also called Radon in Japanese so they would have the same problem there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Burkion posted:

Also you can't hold an international trademark on radon. You can on Rodan

Toho is very consistent and very legally insistent on their international names VS Japanese names, which is why you don't see people calling Mothra Mosura in the wild unless they are the most terminal of weebs. Or actually Japanese.

Godzilla/Gojira is the only one where they play around with it at all, but it still is firmly that Godzilla is the international name, Gojira is the Japanese name.

Interesting that they did use Mosura in King of the Monsters for 'Titanus Mosura' even if they only referenced it the one time before switching to Mothra the rest of the way.

e: I think the subtitles for the bluray of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2 ended up using 'Radon' the whole time. The subs across those double packs had lots of weird quirks though. Like the one for the first Millenium MechaGodzilla seemed to be an actual sub but the ones for the second were very obviously dubtitles.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 29, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I would really like Biollante to be released in the US again by somebody. I bought GvK 4k because it was on sale when I was in a Best Buy and now Biollante is back to being the only hole in my live action collection.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Yeah the Heisei ones are in general not good and I don't even like Biollante much, which is why I had sold my copy but now I have everything else and its just a hole in the collection. I do like the Millenium ones overall.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I am a big fan of Biollante as a kaiju

The Heisei movies are 90% crushingly dull plods with some great monster designs

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Barry Foster posted:

Thirding that, I tried a couple of them and they were just a slog to get through. Just kept looking at the time whenever monsters weren't on screen. Biollante was cool, though, although I don't remember the fight being all that dynamic.

The Biollante puppet was a nightmare that needed a gigantic team to move. Its a miracle that they got it to do anything.

Every Heisei one was like 20-30 minutes too long. The bit in Return of Godzilla where the Super X was very slowly tracking over to Godzilla for like 4 minutes seemed like it should have been a joke.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
90s Burning Godzilla is one of the absolute best designs and suits.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
What the other 4 are would be telling of your particular Godzilla taste.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Heisei Godzilla vs King Ghidorah is amazing for this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYT3TdYYHkU and the 'all of the white people are just jealous of Japan's inevitable and glorious rise to dominant superpower' bubble era plot.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Bizarrely, my Japanese 'complete set' (up to KotM) of Godzilla posters included one for that movie.

Unrelated, I just think these ones are cool

I know the US had the blue Godzilla one but did the Ghidorah one get used outside of Japan?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I really need to get around to watching Singular Point. I don't actually have a Netflix subscription at the moment so it feels like an extra bit of effort to get through the signup. I also need to watch the three anime movies because hearing they are poo poo is only a limited deterrent to a Gojiraboo.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Splint Chesthair posted:

The Netflix anime movies are poo poo because they're boring, not because they're full of cheesy SFX or any of the other reasons people hate on the Godzilla series. (Disclaimer: I'm basing this solely on having watched the first one and a little of the second one.)

The worst live action Godzillas are really boring too and that's never stopped me.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It'll be funny when they screen Biollante in the US but then still don't release it on bluray again.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

yes please

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I watched GvK for the first time since it was new. Much lowered expectations didn't help and it was still crushingly dull, feeling more like a 3 hour movie than an hour and 40 one. The only particularly inspired bit was the neon city.

I do think you could have gotten two decent movies out of the general framework and if you split the two completely separate halves apart. Millie Bobby Brown's group and Godzilla finding out about Mechagodzilla, with a breezy Godzilla vs. Gigan feel. Keep the Ghidorah head but actually something with it. Then a movie just about Kong getting to the Hollow Earth. It would retreat Skull Island a lot because there are only 2 Kong stories so they'd have to lean in and get really weird with it.

If you really have to bring Kong and Godzilla together, you put in references to space aliens in both of those movies, then you get the next one with Godzilla, Kong and Mothra going up against the aliens.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
BBTS has the Hedorah listed for $200 with a $20 down payment for people who want to go that way: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/187059

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Monsterarts Final Wars Godzilla is finally coming https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/187623

One of my favorite designs.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I found a sofubi of a special boy when I was out tonight

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Godzilla vs Megalon gets bonus points from me for being so deeply committed to masculine homoeroticism.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Terror of Mechagodzilla also sort of has nudity when they're working on Katsura.

Clearly if the Showa era had continued, it would have gotten increasingly gay and horny.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Got to do a Mothra tattoo yesterday :c00l:

That's gorgeous. How long did it take to do it? I'd been thinking of getting a Mothra tattoo as well but have been nervous about how much more involved it would be than my Sailor Moon symbols one.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Millenium Godzilla is the best choice. Love her taste.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I have my Sailor Moon ones on my inner right forearm so I was thinking of putting Mothra on my left upper arm. Then eventually it could expand to have Ghidorah and a Godzilla on there too.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

We are debating on the next kaiju to do next to the Godzilla. It kind of depends on what we can fit, but it’s going to be either Orga (which makes the most sense), Monster X (also works but fitting either one might be a challenge) or Gigan, but she and I both like Showa Gigan better.

Showa Gigan has the best colors. Orga seems like it would risk looking too blobby and grey.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The giant sea louse across my chest to show my real Gojiraboo creds.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I learned about a sale on Ultraman bluray sets
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1487167619203432451

I've never seen any of them so I ordered the season called 'Ultraman' (which is season 2?). Excited to watch them.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Burkion posted:

Sailor Moon

Guess I'm getting at least these 3 then huh?

e:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also Shiroc when you get the sets come to the Toku thread and give us 1st watch reviews and opinions

Where is that?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I did end up also ordering Ultras Q and 7. I'll be happy to write things up as I watch them. I'm in the process of trying to get a new job and half hour shows are perfect because I don't feel like I'm able to commit to anything in longer chunks than that right now.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I watched Eva for the first time over this week and had a number of "oh that's where this thing in Shin Godzilla came from' moments.

The main characters in Shin Godzilla are different because they are actually invested in understanding and stopping the crisis though.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I saw KotM in theaters three times because I loved it so much. It hits all of my Godzilla buttons and is basically a perfect movie for me.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
In an ideal world, they would have separated it into a Kong in the Hollow Earth movie, a Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla movie and a Godzilla vs Kong movie. Having some focus could have let each idea bloom instead of just slamming around aimlessly with various disconnected things they wanted to do like Spider-Man 3.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Being disappointed that Cranston wasn't in the movie for very long is perfectly reasonable even if the story worked in such a way that he needed to exit it when he did. Its normal to watch a movie and go "man, I wish they had spent more time with this character/actor/idea that I really liked."

The original trailer is absolutely Cranston driven: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIu85WQTPRc so thinking that he would have a role more like the classic Godzilla movie main scientist guy is reasonable expectation going in. You see this and assume there is probably a teamup with him, Serizawa and Ford driving things together.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I sold my friends on coming with me to a Godzilla movie because of them being Breaking Bad fans. One of them stared absolute daggers at me when he died.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The UHD is really well done and worth having if you like the movie and have a player for it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The best human/kaiju moment is when Madison turns to see Godzilla coming after he saves her from Ghidorah and has the grin. Yeah, loving Godzilla is coming and is on my side, three headed rear end in a top hat.

I like how KOTM plays around with Godzilla as the hero. The humans realize he's the good character because their needs align and Godzilla has no particular interest in hurting humans. Its disappointing how they reference that this might change in the future, start to play with it in GvK but then drop it entirely beyond he's mad about Ghidorah still being sort of alive? Something where the plot was more directly that the needs of all humanity being at odds with the needs of the Titans would have been better than just having him stopping some scheme from Bad Guys while Kong farts around.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
There has been so much Biollante merch in the past couple years. Would be pretty cool if they could get another bluray release out.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The main theme of GvK being a similar to but legally distinct from version of the main Godzilla theme was such a weird thing.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Oxygen Destroyer wasn't used amazingly in the movie but it plays with how it was portrayed in the original movie in interesting ways. It was a horrible weapon of last resort that was a tragedy to ever have to use. 54 highlights how it may have killed this Godzilla, it doesn't solve the problems that created Godzilla. In KotM, it nearly kills Godzilla, who is the only hope for humanity and ends up doing gently caress all to the evil Ghidorah. Neo-Serizawa sacrifices himself to power up Godzilla in opposite of OG-Serizawa who sacrifices himself to stop Godzilla and to ensure there are no more Oxygen Destroyers.

Not letting Godzilla, as a representative of the natural order, just finish Ghidorah results in a ton more death and destruction. The sea is still ruined even after Godzilla wins. I think it still works within what the movie was doing.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
There is probably a bit about how having the Oxygen Destroyer ties to humans being the real alpha threat on earth (excepting Ghidorah since he's an external threat from space). Monsterverse Godzilla doesn't seem capable for total annihilation of life on earth but having Oxygen Destroyers means humanity could.

Jimbot posted:

Think of all the jobs the oxygen destroyer will create!

Think of the demand for the remaining oxygen! The economy will boom!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

I'm always fascinated by marketing that is way out if time or orphaned from what it was supposed to be attached to. Like the Lady Gaga Chromatica Oreos that came out in 2020. Way too late for the album release so they were probably for a tour that never happened?

Why is a GvK Call of Duty tie in happening now instead of a year ago? Did the agreement have an error on the date that nobody fixed? Did they expect to delay the movie longer when they decided on this? Is there supposed to be some other announcement this is tied to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

brocked posted:

SlumGodzilla Millionaire Slumdog Godzillionaire