Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Also the space ghost rose at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

I can't think of a single Space Ghost joke, but if I could, I'd post a big picture with it.

Same but just describing the thing is funny enough for me.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Ghidorah's chattering is cool and unique and I don't know why they got rid of it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

An anime with a twenty something protagonist? What will they think of next?

Anime isn't the only media with 20 something protagonists in its stories. This is an inane criticism. Especially since that age group is their target audience.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 20, 2018

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It's Space Godzilla

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was making a joke about how it's an anime where the protagonist isn't a high schooler.

Relax.

It's hard to tell sometimes, my bad.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

I find the Bad Showa movies more enjoyable than anything in Heisei besides G'84, honestly.

Vs Biollante is better than 84.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

counterpoint: Godzilla should be the weirdest part of a serious Godzilla movie,

That's stupid.

You're really complaining about a ghost possessing the monstrous hybrid form of Godzilla crossed with a rose?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mecha Gojira posted:

Nothing will stick with me like Godzilla ripping Mechagodzilla's head off, and it having a tiny head underneath. I've remembered that sequence from the age of like 3.

This and when Mecha-King Ghidorah had Godzilla foaming at the mouth. I remember watching that the night we entered the Persian Gulf war.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I am honestly surprised there's so many people alive. Our "heroic" protagonist was on a fast track to get them all killed.

That's why I kept watching. I want Godzilla to wipe out humanity in this anime.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

JBP posted:

glorious US military units.

What was glorious about them besides their utter failures?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I think one if the scientists asks if "it's him" but Serizawa says the bones are too old or something like that. So it's some other Godzilla the MUTOs killed.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

You and I have very different definitions of "human" clearly. 20 foot tall monstrosities with a hundred teeth and godzilla spines and super long claws and exoskeletons look human to you because they're vaguely humanoid shaped. Good to know.

And what organism do you think those clones are imitating? They aren't fish.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I agree with the person who said a Metal Gear movie would be redundant.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Come at me when they're talking about a Metal Gear: Rising movie.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

Well, sure. And, again, I'm a gigantic Godzilla fan that would pay an embarrassing percentage of my yearly earnings if I could see a well-financed movie where Godzilla destroyed a major American city. But that's the thing -- G'14 was flat out not interested in showing Godzilla do that damage in anything but the most incidental sense: the "bad guy" monsters" were the one doing the bad poo poo and Godzilla was interested more in fighting them than the humans.

EDIT: Basically, my question is, why does Godzilla not give a gently caress? You could argue that the military strikes against him are flea-bites, but, for God's sake, give us something! Roast a column of tanks, fry a jet fighter squadron. That's what we [I] want to see.

You're mad because you aren't significant enough for Godzilla to notice you. The sun is equally indifferent.

You're also ignoring the tsunami that killed tons of people.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 2, 2018

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Burkion posted:

If we judged franchises on awful video games

Nothing would be good

Except for Robocop vs Terminator.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

I'm positive that Super Godzilla was supposed to tie in to Godzilla vs Space Godzilla back in the early stages of the script when it still was Bagan instead.

His transformation at the end is exactly the same design except with horns instead of crystals, so yeah.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Entertainment Weekly have a reputation to uphold of posting images of upcoming movies that make them look like poo poo

It's also raining in the shot which exaggerates the artifacting.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Cythereal posted:

What I'm trying to puzzle out right now is the one in the southeastern US, looks like northwest Georgia maybe. I'm from the southeast, and my best guess is that it's something to do with the Mound Builders. That outpost is near one big Mound Builder site, and I do know there's an old Southern folktale about the complex mounds, which often resemble serpents or other creatures when viewed from above, being formed from the corpses of giant creatures or entombing the same (because Native Americans building large settlements and complex structures is clearly less believable than giant monsters buried in the earth).

Ahuitzotl is just another name for Godzilla, Itzpapolotl is Mothra, etc.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Tidbits from crimson:

Mothra confirmed to have lasers from her wings.

Rodan's wings can create city-busting sonic booms and has armor made of volcanic rock over his skin.

Ghidorah creates electrified hurricanes when he flies.

Like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Wizchine posted:

The Rodan magma blood / magma armor is a nice throwback to the twin Rodans' birth near a volcano and their subsequent deaths in it.

That movie is metal as hell.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

JBP posted:

I thought that scenario was good and the payoff wrt nanometal was cool. Mechagodzilla itself got dead by Godzilla battle in ages past, I like the different take the anime is presenting even if it's not perfect.

Something called Mechagodzilla city should be way more impressive than a few turrets on some domes.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

I'm going to disappoint a few of you by pointing out that the figures near Rodan most likely are not direct references to Gigan. They're obviously human -- they've got human torsos and legs -- and that they've got beasty parts is very in line with meso-American artwork.

https://i.imgur.com/71CeegI.png

The figures flanking Rodan are probably wearing headdresses and other clothing to give themselves the appearance of Rodan, the way the Aztecs and Mayans would wear animal headdresses.

That said it still loving looks like a tiny Gigan and I hope there's Gigan at some point in this film series.

Quetzalcoatl gets all the attention.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Neither do I, but nor do I think "NUKES BAD" is the point being made with it.

There's only no radiation because the MUTO absorbed it all. The nuclear powered submarine was also armed with a bunch of nukes that the female tears out of it. There's a whole plot throughout the latter third of the movie about trying to move a nuke into San Francisco that the movie shows and tells you that it's a stupid, dangerous plan that won't work. Almost everything related to man made nuclear energy is presented in a bad light.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I agree that the MUTOs could have used some color. The male has a cool striped pattern but you only see it during the brief threat display at the airport. Their powers, sounds and way of moving made them almost cybernetic which I thought was cool.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I feel like there wasn't much that anyone could say in the face of Godzilla so I was fine with the lack of dialog from Ford. Ford also goes through a hell of a lot helping Godzilla which makes him the only person Godzilla actually acknowledges. His family is in San Francisco and he has to beg an officer to be allowed to go on the mission to SF and he also realizes that in order to see/save his family he has to stop the MUTOs. He never abandons his family he just changes tactics.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 28, 2018

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gatts posted:

Having worked on military aircraft production...yes...this is some of what goes on. I validate. But this has applications elsewhere too.

Looks like a riff on the F35.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
GMK suit looks cheap as gently caress but I dont mind the design.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

K. Waste posted:

Virtually all religion has cults, because a cult is more a form of worship rather than a religious movement.

Veneration of saints, for instance, is cultism.

Polytheistic religions basically require cults.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

It's better than all but two or three films in the Heisei series, and that's me being charitable to Heisei.

I strongly disagree.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The flying, diamond tipped electric razor in 84 was very hard sci fi I agree.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Violator posted:

So Godzilla's marketing was red, Skull Island was yellow, King of the Monsters is blue, I guess GvKong will be green?

A little concerned that it looks like the big monster fights take place in giant storms with a lot of camera shake. It makes sense since each of the titans brings weather effects, but I'm still a tiny bit concerned since G'14 was so good with it's fights. Edit: I don't want anything obscured by rain or crap.

I just realized that in the first movie, Godzilla brought a tsunami when he arrived. Rodan is volcanos, King Ghidorah is hurricane. What's Mothra? Tornado? A tornado of love?

Light/life

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I think the blue mystery monster is Mothra in her larval stage or her offspring.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsoEDVRAqOT/

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

K. Waste posted:

It's just that for whatever reason, some folks, and G-fans in particular, convince themselves that these obvious comic bits are just "comic relief," whereas they interpret the entire self-evidently farcical scenario of the film as an accident. Like, Emmerich and Devlin just accidentally made a film that is for all intents and purposes a completely faithful adaptation of corny post-war American creature-features, but just escalated to the maximalist conventions of contemporary blockbusters. Like they just accidentally got Rage Against the Machine to record and song and music video that slags off their movie.

None of that means it is interesting or good. It was really dull and the humor made sure I didn't care about anything happening in the movie.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Davros1 posted:

What's the official pronunciation of "Ghidorah"?

Ghee-Door-Ah?

Ghee-dra?

Listen to Japanese audio and go by what they say.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Peacoffee posted:

Has it been done to death talking about how similar 98 and shin are in their usage of smaller creatures to almost portend a more modern, agile, asymmetric threat?

Shin Godzilla is the opposite of agile so probably not.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Xiuhcoatl

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Anime doesn't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

UmOk posted:

Neither is the anime. It's a bunch of episodes slapped in to three "movies"