Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Space Godzilla was awesome. It was the first arc of DBZ with the hero fighting his space brother over his kidnapped son, and teaming up with his enemy to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

It could be that she's right, the Titans ARE part of maintaining Earth's natural balance - but Ghidorah is an invasive species. From, uh, space.

I was thinking that Ghidorah is like a natural function of the Earth. When things are messed up enough to melt the polar ice caps, Ghidorah comes out, and unleashes a thousand years of terror until the Earth starts cooling again. The other monsters are probably the only reason that there is still life on Earth.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

You guys are hurting my feelings. Space Godzilla is my favorite. Raditz kidnaps Gohan, and Goku teams up with Piccolo to defeat the superior foe.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Was at my parents house and found a Godzilla vs King Kong promo photo in my childhood bedroom.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 7, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Is Mothra popular with women? I assume probably as popular as kaiju could be.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Davros1 posted:

From wrestling legend Jushin "Thunder" Liger:

https://twitter.com/Liger_NJPW/status/1083919512863297536

I would like a hat like that.

I would also like that hat. Let me know if anyone figures out where to order them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It’s ok to like bad things. I love SpaceGodzilla.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I remember my aunt pre ordering tickets for G98, and each one came in a sleeve made to look like Godzilla’s skin, and had a film cell with it. I can’t find any images of it online. Was this a thing movies used to do?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That’s it! It wasn’t like a handout you got the day of. I had mine for like a week before. I remember carrying it around in middle school in anticipation.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Apparently it was his planned original color scheme. All that exist of it are a few photos now.

Gaydorah looks amazing! Looks like something from a tragic backstory to show that Ghidorah wasn’t always evil.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

You’d think that Ghidorah came from one of the Mothra movies, but the actual Ghidorah from the Mothra series is actually evil as gently caress looking.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Godzilla and King Kong vs Space Godzilla and Space King Kong.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Finally watched MGK last night. It was pretty dang good. Milky eyed G was a good look for that story.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

What’s not an April Fools joke is that NECA is releasing a Godzilla action figure based off of the NES game.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Isn’t the Tywin Lannister dude in this movie? Godzilla thread shouldn’t be throwing stones.

Now I want a mash up where each house is represented by a different monster. I’d be house Jet Jaguar.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

Lena Headey always rules, if she counts as “get[ting] famous from that show”. Who else besides Dinklage, Turner, and Clarke have even been in anything else?

Sean Bean? Finn Jones? Natalie Dormer? Charles Dance? Gwendoline Cristie? Jason Momoa?

I can keep going.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

In no way did Sean bean or Charles dance get famous from GoT. Momoa is a very fair cop for sure. I dunno who Finn Jones or Natalie Dormer are so not sure about calling them famous, christie’s biggest other role involves wearing a mask the whole time and jobbing in 40 seconds

Finn Jones was Iron Fist on Netflix. Natalie Dormer was on the Tudors and had a small part in The First Avenger, but that was all before GoT.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Failson posted:

Anyone remember the early 90's line of Godzilla toys from Trendmasters?

There was a of Godzilla vs. Biollante, set in Washington DC.

King of the Monsters looks like the movie I imagined, based on that playset, and I am wondering if Michael Dougherty is on a similar train of thought (as in: making the movie he wanted to see when he was a kid).

Those toys ruled. Made me a fan of Space Godzilla for life.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

Just so I'm not empty quoting here, I'd love to see what Gigan would look like as a Legendary monster.

Gigan and Space Godzilla. After Godzilla defeats all the Earth titans, it’s time to fight the ones from space.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I’m just going to take this opportunity to say that Godzilla fans should check out Devil Dinosaur.

The Avengers shrink Godzilla. Godzilla fights rats in New York’s sewers, grows to human size and fights the Fantastic Four. The FF send Godzilla back in time to make him pre histories problem, and Godzilla grows to T-Rex size and fights Devil Dinosaur.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The Avengers only need Ant Man and Captain Marvel to take care of Godzilla.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Can’t find anything about if they’ll be available in the states. I’ve been working my way through some of the various Game of Thrones scotch, and Godzilla whiskey would be a good follow up.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Because I like to drink and collect fun bottles? I recommend the Hellboy Hellwater cinnamon whiskey. Better than Fireball.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I’m going to watch Space Godzilla again because I must be in denial about how bad it is. Only thing that bothered me about it is that Mogura obviously should have been Mecha G.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Half Century War is worth it just for the art.

James Stokoe is one of the best comic artists out there. He also has an Alien book called Alien: Dead Orbit, and has done some random stuff for Marvel.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It was also good in Dolby Digital. Every roar and crash vibrates the seats.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Why do people even see movies in 3D anymore. None of them are shot for it.

Both Guardians of the Galaxy movies and Into the Spiderverse were amazing in 3D. There was even a rerelease of Terminator 2 in 3D that was surprisingly good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

C. E. Croix posted:

Uuuuuughhhh how long does this sale last, cause I just paid rent...

Until December 1st. Or they sell out.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I liked the first one well enough for what it was, but I do have a soft spot for 90’s kaiju and anime. Desghidorah was a good design, and I like some variety in Mothra designs. There’s so much you can convey by just changing the wing patterns.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Burkion posted:

It kiiiiiiinda does but only because it repeats the climax from MechaGodzilla II

Space Godzilla was basically a filler movie thrown together at the last minute because of production delays, is the very rough inaccurate summation of it. They took a goofy concept title from the Showa era that never got made, then proceeded to ignore what that idea was actually going to be, and just put this out. The original draft was even going to just have MechaGodzilla again, but they thought that'd be too many Godzillas

They should’ve just used Mecha again. It’d have fit in perfectly with the DBZ plot of teaming up with his greatest enemy to defeat his space brother to save his son.

Love that dumb rear end movie, but I understand that I’m the only one.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Now that I got the Alien RPG book, now I’m waiting for Godzilla to get one. Give stats for all the kaiju and military weapons, along with ways to make our own monsters.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/LbP8ZJb.png[/url][/timg]

This is going to be an actual Magic card, along with fifteen other creature cards reskinned with Godzilla kaiju names and art.

The most valuable will probably be Space Godzilla, because it’s full name in the initial printings of the card was “Space Godzilla, Death Corona”

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Violator posted:

Off topic, but there was a restaurant where I live that had a no sports rule and instead played the original TMNT, Bloodsport, Kickboxer, etc. on their TVs. That lasted about two weeks after they opened and they had to switch to sports out of customer demand. :(

My local bar plays sports on request, but otherwise it’s B movies and obscure cartoons. They do a Godzilla night a couple times a year that I’m usually in charge of. Destroyah went over the best. That glowing, smoking Godzilla suit got people’s attention.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Burkion posted:

You'll have to smack Shin on some time, though that may not go over well due to all the talking.

Yeah, and most people just want to see a couple dudes in monster suits bumping into each other.

Son of Godzilla goes over good because it’s just so consistently weird, you can just watch a random five minutes, and get something out of it.

Doing a Toho King Kong double feature is fun too.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Oh yeah, that’s always been one of my favorites. Think it was the first Godzilla I saw back when they’d play a couple Godzilla movies on Thanksgiving.

Destroy All Monsters probably gets played more than it should, but it has a bunch of monsters, so it ends up in rotation.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

When was Godzilla vs Kong supposed to come out? We could do a watch along of the original or something.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Gripweed posted:

With the cost of Godzilla vs Ghidorah/Godzilla vs Mothra steadily rising on Amazon, should I just say screw it and jump ahead to Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2/Godzilla vs Space Godzilla, or will I regret not seeing the others beforehand?

You should at least see the Ghidorah movie. Mecha King Ghidorah, and the weird rear end time travel plot are some highlights of the era.

I love the Heisei era movies, and it really burns my biscuits I haven’t seen Biollante yet.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

I've been going through a ton of "Brandon Tenhold reviews..." on Youtube and I can tell he's genuine. Usually after he ribs the movie he'll be like, its still fine.

He actually JUST put up his Shin Gojira vid up an hour ago. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzfxlA7o2GI

That is a bit different than his normal style of going thru the entire movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnYeXMKqWMk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDnkmK3D7QQ

His Godzilla videos are good, but obscure horror reviews are his bread and butter. Probably my favorite YouTube reviewer.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

david_a posted:

I’ve watched some of that guys videos before but there was a bit too much plot regurgitation for me. I’ll check out the Shin one since it sounds like that one’s better?

The Shin one is just him talking about the movie, how it’s different from other Godzilla films, and what he thinks about it. You’ll like it for the same reasons I didn’t care for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Those are going to be stupid expensive, right? I’m a sucker for licensed liquor.