Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

Something's been bugging me lately, and I thought this thread might be the place to ask. I'm looking for a song about Godzilla that I think was performed on television during a comedy show like SNL. In it, Godzilla has kind of a midlife crisis and keeps saying it's been a hell of a year. It's old, perhaps from the 80's, and for some reason I keep thinking Bill Murray was involved somehow (though that probably isn't the case). I also think the last line was about an affair with an inguana, if I remember correctly.

I've been trying like crazy to find this song, because it's been driving me up the walls. I think I might have seen it first in the 2014 Godzilla thread around here, so I was wondering if some other goon might recognize what I'm talking about here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

mllaneza posted:

You're thinking of the Foremen's "Godzilla Has a Midlife Crisis". They're a comedy folk song group, and they're pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHfp75gmr7Q

That's it! Thanks, you don't want to know how long that's been bugging me!

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

So, here's something I've been wondering for some time: have their ever been any recent games that succesfully captured the feeling of a kaiju film? I know about games like Rampage and a bunch of Godzilla fighting games on ps2, but it seems like a concept that would work really well on modern hardware. Or, you know, is actually released in the west. Does any of you have any suggestions?

Or, failing that, has there ever been a cool Godzilla mod outside of Minecraft, Skyrim or GTA?

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

I always found it weird that almost no kaiju-game has managed to get the sense of scale or speed right. They either feel like they're hopped up on amphetamines and filled with helium, or they are lumbering giants that bring the game speed down to sleep inducing levels. Playing with the scale of the maps and using an isometric perspective should be able to fix that, but I don't think it has ever really been done. Then again, giant mechs suffer from the same problems but they translate to games quite well. So I'm not really sure what's up here.

Looking around at mods for other games, there's surprisingly little available. The best I've been able to find is this mod for Saints Row IV, a game which also has a pretty cool Mechagodzilla costume. And MUGEN-projects, because it's MUGEN.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Y3Udr8p0A&hd=1#t=1198s

I may have played this mission a dozen times, just because it was so drat fun punching the poo poo out of a dozen notzillas

I didn't even need to click that link in order to know that I'll be humming "To save our mother earth from any alien attacks..." for the rest of the day. That was such a great game.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

I have to transcribe a massive amount of audio, and it is incredibly boring, menial work. To keep myself occupied, I've taken to putting on a film without the sound in the background. First up were some Buster Keaton shorts, after that came Final Wars.

Sidenote: this might be the best way to watch Final Wars. Without dialogue, you notice even more how much of a cartoon that film is.

But the film is almost over, and I need something new to put on in the background. Are there any suggestions for what to put on next? I am looking for as much insane kaiju action as possible, with the human scenes at least entertaining enough that you can let them play by without sound. I was thinking of Invasion of the Astro Monster, but maybe vs Megalon would also fit the bill? vs The Sea Monster is straight out, though, since I could never watch that film without turning up the volume for that weird surfrock soundtrack.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

Hadn't seen Gigan yet, but this was a good opportunity. Gonna put Inframan on the list for the next batch, thanks!

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

True, but KotM is still on the top of my list when it comes to 2019 films that grasp the zeitgeist in a meaningful manner. I should probably do a write up on that, but until that time I offer a kickass metal cover of the best kaiju's theme.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You know what’s silly? Attacking Godzilla with a tank. You know what’s not silly? Attacking him with Tony Stark - because now you’re expressing a humiliating equivalence. Independence Day 2 made the same fatal mistake of giving the idiots space-ships instead of fighter jets.

Focusing on this for now, but this sounds like an almost unintentional misreading of of what the film does and its presentation of humanity in nature. The fantasy weapons of KotM cannot be seen outside the context of the first film, in which they were very much absent. Putting your fate in them is like trusting Elon Musk and his ilk to save us from climate change: a particular hubris that speaks to a desire that isn't rooted in denial, but in the unspoken believe that humanity is superior against all odds. Humanity versus nature, so to speak, rather than humanity as a part of it. And just like the believe that we can continue existing in late stage capitalism as long as it gives us all brand new Tesla's to purchase, it's a gruesome misconception that is rooted in the very things that caused our problems to begin with.

Attacking Godzilla with Tony Stark is only serious when it works. What's 'silly' is showing how Iron Man is essentially the same as a tank and equally senseless. Silly humans.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

Splint Chesthair posted:

Players can buy maser cannons to steer Godzilla toward their opponents’ properties so they can buy them up cheap after they’re stomped flat.

In one corner sits a mediamagnate who keeps trying to buy Skull Island, in the other a property developer who is slowly losing his mind rolling the dice, hoping he can capitalize on his purchase of the theatre but terrified he's gonna get a jail card. Opposite them sit that weird couple who always insist on playing as a team during gamenight and keep complaining about minor sounds. They bought a themepark first. Finally, there's the old tycoon who seems to be on the level but has some strong ideas about his country and keeps gazing weirdly at the Godzilla figure.

Winner gets it all, before being clowned by Godzilla/Mothra/Kong/all of the above.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

Jackson's greatest addition is caring Jack Black as the director, because it turns the world's biggest sick into a tragic antihero. I love both the original and the remake, but the human characters in Jackson's version are so much better realized.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

Just a heads up that due to the virus, The Kaiju Survival Guide is free this week on Amazon.

It's a short read, but the concept is interesting. The author tries to do both the Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z in one book, and it is a mix that doesn't really gel that well. Zombies are fun because they can be fought, work as social metaphors and allow for a wide variety of interesting scenario's. Kaiju can do the same, but it takes a lot more skill and effort to pull it of. It takes about two chapters before the author runs into this problem, and his solution is less than ideal. The book wants to bring 'realism' into the realm of giant monsters by making them vulnerable to conventional weaponry and significantly less intelligent, but the end result reads like a prepper's guide to Earth Defense Force. There's exhausting detail about how to make your own bunker, take care of firearms and ration supplies for the sake of completion or filler. You end up with paragraphs about the right choice of small firearm, ending with the mention that a pistol probably won't save you from Godzilla. But an RPG might do the trick! In the end, you end up with a version of Pacific Rim that has all the fun sucked out of it.

Luckily, these sections interweave with small prose sections about monster attacks. They're presented as interviews with survivors (again, like Max Brooks) and these are a little more entertaining. The book clearly wants to pay its respect to the classics, so King Kong, Godzilla, Rodan and Ghidorah all show up with their serial numbers filed off. It has some fun moments (like when the beasties from B-movie classic Them! make a guest appearance) but also never comes anywhere near the level of World War Z. For all Max Brooks' faults, his stories were varied and tried to hit different emotions. These stories are way more one-note, with the monster showing up and cornering the main character before he or she is miraculously saved by timely intervention of the military. Then another chapter will show us the military's perspective, often from the viewpoint of brave pilots or sailors who just made a plan and executed it. Stories like that can be pulpy entertainment, but the book suffers from staying so close to its source material. The first two stories are just recounting classic scenes from King Kong and Gojira respectively, but with the names changed and small but bizarre differences that rob them of their original emotional impact. Like, the author realized that Kong climbing the Empire State was iconic, but doesn't seem to grasp that this is because of the inherent tragedy. So we just end up with a giant ape versus airplanes, with zero pathos and even a bizarre twist where Kong throws Fay Wray into the propellers of an incoming plane. It's like that 2014 article where the US Army boasts that it would totally just shoot Godzilla in the eye with a bunker buster, extended to book length.

On the other hand, it's free and there's some fun discussion about giant robots in there, so why not?

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

Just had a flashback to playing this in an arcade as a kid, for whatever reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTLvR0JoDq8

I seem to recall it handing out a ridiculous amount of tickets for what it was.

...I want that in my room.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

Ebirah is great and has one of my favourite human plots of the later Showa-era. It's fast, it's charming and it knows it's absurd but doesn't give a gently caress.

Helps that the soundtrack is loving great. I mean, listen to this. This is a film that has Godzilla fighting planes and monsters while listening to beach rock, shot in much the same way another film might depict surfing or volleyball. It's a great one-off adventure and I wish they had more films made with this kind of formula. Would also be one of the few films that I could see working in a straight up video game adaptation, like a more lighthearted Far Cry.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Not any one specific one I went with Destroy all Monsters but just couldn't get into it. I've tried a few of the films and could put them on but just couldn't get into any of them.

My preferred order of watching is the original Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Mothra vs Godzilla and finally Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster. That way you get to start with watching Honda try out the different approaches to the giant monster genre before it's all brought together in a way that feels grand. People aren't kidding when they compare the MCU to Godzilla, and Ghidorah is it's Avengers-moment.

After that you're in for a bumpy ride, with Ebirah being the only one that stands out to me as incredibly entertaining. Vs Mechagodzilla is a weird case where I think the concept is cool, but everything it does is done better by Terror of Mechagodzilla. Still, you can't have one without the other, so...

Watch the rest in any order you like. I wouldn't start with Godzilla Raids Again, because it's a hard shift from the 1954 film, but it fits in neatly between Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla because it's such a tonal difference.

If you still want more, I would recommend VS King Kong, too. The rest is wholely up to preference.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

robot roll call posted:

You better not be talking poo poo about my boy King Caesar...

Nah, King Ceasar is fun. It's the aliens and the human plot that I just find super boring.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

Desumaytah posted:

And he instantly eats poo poo, too. He gets his rear end kicked almost as bad as Anguirus did earlier in the movie. It's amazingly mean-spirited. God, I love that movie.

Speaking of Anguirus, he may be one of my favourite support characters but he gets done dirty. Every. Time. Is he just that low on the list of favorites, or is it just a running joke?

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

That article reads like it was written by an edgy fourteen year old who just discovered his essay is due tomorrow and now has to bullshit himself a way out of it. Also, blackface.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

KOTM is a better Heisei film than the majority of Heisei films.

It's silly, yes, but together with G54 and Shin it is also the thematically strongest entry and it is an absolutely gorgeous film. I also don't understand the criticism that it has a dull protagonist, since the protagonist is very clearly Godzilla himself. The humans are just there to represent the rest of their species.

Phone posting now, but can write more when I have access to a keyboard.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is really dumb and doesn't address what people are saying.

I stand behind it being thematically strong and gorgeous, but will admit that my argument about the protagonist came across badly. I do, however, think that the film was way more invested in humanity's future as a species than the fate of any individual character. I had zero love for wolfdad and found him annoying, but also found it refreshing to not have to care about him. I felt for Serizawa and the daughter, but mainly I connected to the idea that the only way for humanity to survive is for it to take a bow and step down from its perceived place as most important species. For a film about climate change, I loved that it didn't believe in a magical solution through human intervention without the pessimism that only doom awaits us. To me, it seems as if the film says that humanity and its planet have a future as long as we discard the illusion that we were ever meant to be in charge and can sacrifice this position. That process may be dangerous and filled with disaster, but in the end we can get there.
As someone who is incredibly gloomy about the future, that message hit hard. And the fact that it said that through giant monsters and fantastically kitch sci-fi tech just makes me love it even more.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

Burkion posted:

I fully believe Godzilla is not being controlled what so ever

If you look at the map, all of the areas Godzilla attacks are APEX related.

it seems like, if you read between the lines and ignore what the trailer is trying to SAY what the movie is about, the actual story is that APEX is doing something lovely, Godzilla is working on stopping them, and APEX goes to get Kong to try and save themselves because none of the other kaiju could stand against Godzilla nor would want to.

This is entirely consistent with how Godzilla has been shown to be in Legendary- he won't go out of his way to do harm, but if he thinks something needs to be done, he will do it. Its also why they have to bring Kong TO Godzilla- Godzilla doesn't give a poo poo about Kong. He has no reason to fight him and no reason to kill him.

Kong has every reason in the world to hate Godzilla considering his species were apparently forced onto the island by Godzilla, but Godzilla has no beef with him. The main thrust is going to be getting Kong to recognize this, let go of the past, and ally against a greater threat

Which, I think we all know what that is

APEX took Minilla. This will not stand.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

Gripweed posted:

The cut scenes in Death Stranding are great but overall Death Stranding is an amazing and unique experience that can only exist as a video game. Kojima loves movies, sure, but he understands and uses the unique possibilities of video games as an artistic medium better than 99% of game creators. I hope he keeps making video games.

I want Kojima to make a kaiju game. Its something that has rarely been done and judging from the end of MGSV, when Metal Gear Salantropus is activated, he could really bring something to the table.

And yes, I know City in Shadows exists, but that game is a PlayStation exclusive in Japan that is never going to be brought to the west...

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

‘Cinematic universes’ don’t actually exist; they’re just sequels and spin-offs.

The issue is more simply that Hollywood’s dropping movies that lack proper endings, and/or that drop a bunch of ideas that would have been interesting if the movie were about them.

Godzilla 2 is a huge offender because its sole interesting concept - a montage of ideologist news articles co-opting Godzilla (crowing that Godzilla attacks are good for the economy and so-forth) - is reserved for the end credits.

Add that to the fact that the opening is borderline-incomprehensible if you haven’t seen G14, and an audience viewing
this as their first Godzilla would rightly ask what the gently caress is going on. And the answer to that question is a deeply sad “well, Charles Dance wants to kill several billion people for no reason.”

Oh, well what happens to him?

“Eh, he just kinda wanders out of the film.”

If you ever wanted a blockbuster that explained the concept that it's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism, GKOTM is that film.

The end credits just spelled out what the entire film was saying all along. 1

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

My buddy and I have been watching kaiju movies over video chat and warming up beforehand with some short-form content with random Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, and Ultraman episodes. Anyone have any recommendations for some particularly nutso kaiju or kaiju-adjacent content that would be great appetite-whetters? Doesn't have to be straight narrative or TV if you've got any outside the box ideas.

If books count, the novella Shambling towards Hiroshima by James Morrow is a great read.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

Speaking of untraditional kaiju, one element that a lot of the classics share is how they use their monsters to confront a traumatic memory or narrative. Godzilla is the most famous example, but there are more of them. Take this plot, for example, and try to guess which giant monster film I'm describing:

A local community's peace is disturbed when some strange creature wanders in. Nobody knows where it came from or where it's going, but it's a scary thing - a monster born out of a terrible event that everybody would rather just forget. Local authorities respond with violence to the situation, thinking they can deny the past, but all it does is hurt and provoke the monster. It goes on a rampage, coming in from the wild towards the nearest city, and nobody proves capable of stopping it. Their toughest men cannot do a single thing as this strange beast burns through the town, surrounded by fire and wrecking buildings. It only ends when they get the beast cornered, almost by accident, and those involved finally realize that they must face the past head on to make peace with it and learn from it. They send out a man who feels a personal connection with the monster, someone who is willing to sacrifice himself if necessary. Only then is the beast calmed and can normal life resume.

Is it Godzilla? War of the Worlds? Psych, it's kaiju-Stallone in First Blood.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

Never saw Uprising, is it necessary the plot of the series?

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

Well, guess I now want to read the novel.

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

GvK already did a pretty good job at taking a surprising amount of details from batshit 19th century hollow earth theory without the racism, so I wouldn't be worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sobatchja Morda
Sep 21, 2009

I thought he just defeated them, not not literally murdered them all?