Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
G'14 put on a clinic in terms of misleading marketing. The very first trailer, with Godzilla rising out of the rubble and Oppenheimer doing his "I am death" speech, prepared me to see a film where Godzilla was death incarnate and rearing to tear humanity a new one. Instead, he was pretty chill and only wrecked people and stuff when it was explicitly in his way (the shot with him being flanked by Navy ships was cool, but I feel like that wouldn't have flown with the Godzilla we were shown in the trailer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

The one kaiju movie I really loathe is Rebirth of Mothra II.

I've watched pretty much every kaiju movie there is, including ones where I've had to buy a Japanese bootleg or whatever to see, and I still can't bring myself to watch the "Rebirth of Mothra" films.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
From what little I've seen, which is some of the monster fights on Youtube, they seem to have many of the same issues as the 90s Godzilla films, e.g. lots of beam fights that go on for forever until one of the monsters falls onto a building or whatever.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

One advantage the Gamera trilogy had- apart from Kaneko just having a great visual sense in general- was that the monsters were all about half as large as the ones in the Heisei Godzilla series (a 50m scale vs 100m.) This meant the miniature buildings and such could be larger and more detailed, and it made it easier to have scenes where the humans interact with them. Kaneko is fond of ground-level views of the monster stuff, which also is a big part of what makes GMK effective.

That's why War of the Gargantuas and Frankenstein vs. Baragon are two of my favorite kaiju films of all time: the monsters were only about 30 meters tall, and the miniatures looks amazing. The lack of details in the 90s-era miniatures is pretty distracting in comparison.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
New (as of yesterday, the 18th) trailer is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M89VLZgo1Vg

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

Final Wars' soundtrack was so loving bad. Even the worst Godzilla films have a decent score, but that time around we got nu-metal and 80s synth rock.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Anyone got any idea what the film's budget is? I can't image it's too much bigger than Final Wars', which was a little under $20 million.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
http://variety.com/2016/film/asia/japan-box-office-shin-godzilla-second-weekend-win-1201832574/

Looks like it's doing great at the Japanese box office, I'd bet my bottom dollar they've already got plans for a sequel drawn up.

Also, Bloody Disgusting has their review up, and from what I've seen it's one of the only Western publications to have published a review. Their reviewer seems to have liked it more than the weeb over at Kotaku.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3402102/review-godzilla-resurgence-shin-godzilla/

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
I think it's great that they're trying new things with Godzilla and with the franchise in general, even if it's as batshit as the stuff in that new trailer. My least favorite entries in the series are the ones that play it safe and stick way to much to established formulas (those being vs. Spacegodzilla, vs. Megaguirus, vs. Gigan).

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
First review from a major U.S. publication (i.e. not Kotaku) is in, they seem to like it. It's nice reading a Western review of a Japanese Godzilla movie that doesn't use the words "campy" or "cardboard".

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/godzilla-resurgence-film-review-923097

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Some of them (Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla) were available but are now out of print, and no company's snapped up rights so they're second-hand only now.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Also the breathing holes in the neck blu ray made that way more obvious than it ever was in earlier lower def releases.

That's been an unfortunate issue in all of the new Blu-Rays; I'm especially seeing a lot more wires holding up wings and such than I used to with the old DVDs or VHS.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

Yaws posted:

Couldn't they just CG those wires out? I've been noticing that with my blu rays as well and it's grating. I kinda regret buying them and wish I woulda stuck with DVD.

I wouldn't mind some CG retouching, if only to remove small SFX flaws like that. But I guess that would negate the "campy charm" that the early movies have.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Funny enough, the cities get even worse treatment from the "make fun of you for liking it" crowd, yet they're often a goddamn masterpiece, especially the early ones. Tsubaraya did some AMAZINGLY detailed work at recreating Japanese cities to look exactly like the real thing. Rodan especially has some impressive photo-realistic stuff. The big problem is most of these were in the 60s, when most architecture was just "plain square buildings" for the most part, so it's easy to overlook the detail level. Tsubaraya once got in trouble with the US military, because his aircraft carrier overhead shot (of a model, natch) was close enough to the real deal, that they thought he was actually doing illegal flyovers of their ships for the footage.

If anything, the 90s films live up more to the "cardboard buildings" stereotype; there didn't seem like much was done to make them look like read buildings and not mostly-hollow models.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

K. Waste posted:

Well, also, by then they blew up Godzilla to twice his original size, ironically to compensate for how much higher the average building height had gotten in major metropolitan areas. Trade off is less detailed miniatures.

Totally, and I'm glad they went back to Godzilla's original-ish size for the 2000's films, if only because the miniatures got better.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

I would love it if other kaiju concept art got posted in the thread.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/concept_art.htm

Enjoy.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Finally, after thirty years, American audiences get to hear the song about a girl who wants to gently caress Godzilla (I think).

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
That one and the 'Son of Godzilla' suit are probably the down-right worst suits in the series, though at least the 'Raids Again' suit had the advantage of being shot in B&W.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Speaking of suits, see what happens when Toho just lets these beautiful, beautiful monster suits rot away:

http://imgur.com/a/OarLM

One of those pics is of those modified "Raids Again" suits that were supposed to be shipped overseas.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
I watched Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla tonight because I hadn't seen it in a few years. Might be another few years before I watch it again. A lot of the movie's flaws are explained by the fact that Toho picked a guy whose only credits are basically "Japanese Days of Our Lives" to direct it.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Has anyone else read the script that was written for the planned 1994 American Godzilla movie that never went through? It was a lot more "traditional" than the 1998 version, with a mostly bipedal Godzilla fighting another giant monster. Stan Winston was signed on to do its effects, and he even made a pretty cool looking Godzilla model.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Look it's leagues better then Biolantte where everyone sounds like they're having a stroke.

Yikes, those two American agents. "I am a lethal weapon!" Or the not-Saudi dude - "Kiss, you guys."

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
'Megalon' is at the very least a lot of goofy fun. I agree with the vitriol aimed towards 'Spacegodzilla'; it's too long, and its final battle is tedious as all hell, what with the monster mostly just standing across from each other and firing beams, and occasionally bumping into each other.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
We're most likely never getting a domestically released BluRay copy of the original Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla in the U.S. All those films are available on Japanese BluRay by the way, though of course you gotta import them and have a Region 2 player.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Yeah, I read up about that. They spliced up their master print and then tried to splice it together again. By the way, you can get a pretty good looking bootleg DVD copy if you know where to look. The Japanese version is much better than the American edit, what with the Akira Ifubuke score and less scenes with boring-rear end newsman spouting exposition.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
From what I've read, G' 1985 was supposed to be this "What's Up, Tiger Lily?" sort of film, in which the dubbing would be intentionally cheesy and the dialogue rewritten to make the film a comedy. Raymond Burr apparently signed on to do the film on the stipulation that it be (somewhat) respected.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Those Media Blasters releases were amazing, glad I got hold of that three pack with Varan, The Mysterians and Matango before the rights ran out. Varan's a pretty lousy movie by the way, but it's worth watching just for the Ifukube score.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
My understanding was it's not a definite that Mothra et. al. show up in Godzilla 2, but that Legendary simply got the permission to use those characters. And gently caress them for not getting Gigan, because Gigan deserves better movies than he got.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
If you only see one 1999-2004 Godzilla movie, watch GMK.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
I think GMK perfectly balances the fun monster-mash tone of the VS. films with the "nuclear horror" tone of the original. The effects are great, the battles are well choreographed, the human element is pretty good, and the "Godzilla is a consortium of angry ghosts" idea is interesting and a fresh take on the character. All in all, I think it does enough different to make it stand out from most other Godzilla movies, especially the Millennium ones, which generally looked good but followed tired formulas.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
As far as crappy American viewers' reviews of Shin Gojira goes, nimrods saying "the suit looks HORRIBLE" when every instance of Godzilla on screen is CGI is amusing.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
I saw a screening of Godzilla vs. Biollante in Little Tokyo a while back, and the terrible English lines (especially when that oil baron/sheik guy spoke) got big laughs. As they should.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Shin Godzilla won Best Picture at the Japanese Academy Awards! That's pretty nuts, I like the movie but I figured that the Japanese Oscars work the same way as ours, in that intimate dramas and biopics get the big awards.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/godzilla-resurgence-wins-big-at-40th-japan-academy-prize-awards-982922

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
The Godzilla anime has a name apparently: "Godzilla: Monster Planet". Neat.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Spacegodzilla is definately the worst, it's a total slog. At least Godzilla's Revenge has a certain goofy charm to it.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
What saves the blander movies like vs. Mothra and vs. Mechagodzilla II from being worthless is Akira Ifukube's scores, and Spacegodzilla doesn't even have that.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
I know a lot of people have gotten the out-of-print films (which until recently included The Return of Godzilla) from this site called Sumo Gorilla. The site's obviously selling bootlegs, but they're good quality ones.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
I saw a few pics from the "Art of Shin Godzilla" book and apparently some of the alternate ideas for that scene were that Godzilla would be frozen as he splits in half, like an entire other head is sprouting from its shoulders.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

dentist toy box posted:

War of the Gargantuas is great too for the non godzilla Toho Kaiju films.

War of the Gargantuas is Toho's best non-Godzilla kaiju film for my money, and for anyone interested it's playing on a double bill with Frankenstein vs. Baragon this Friday and Saturday at LA's New Beverly Cinema.

edit: gently caress, not this Friday/Saturday, NEXT Friday/Saturday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Dude, Monsters: Dark Continent is dogshit. I was so disheartened when I finally saw it and knew within ten minutes that it was a lovely Iraq War movie that someone had shoehorned the monsters into.

Also, yeah, Rodan rules. Also, Frankenstein vs. Baragon rules too and I wish someone would snap up the rights to it again so we could get a DVD copy that doesn't cost $150.