Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mantis42 posted:

Honestly I disagree. Showa era is much more fun and probably closer to what you expect/want out of a Godzilla film. Hesei movies feel like bad anime if you watch them as an adult.
To me a big difference seems to be that the Showa movies were not self-conscious about Godzilla being a dude in a suit. He's quite agile and is able to hand-fight and punch his opponents. In the later ones they tried making him more inhuman with those massive legs and really limited the mobility overall. I saw Godzilla vs Destroyah recently I don't remember him having much successful offense other than his atomic breath. In Gigan, on the other hand, he's punching the poo poo out of that weirdo and judo-throwing King Ghidorah all over the place. It's basically pro-wrestling in elaborate costumes.

I can't imagine the one from Shin Godzilla doing much of anything with those comical arms of his, but maybe the addition of CG will allow greater freedom of motion overall to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
His appearance and ponderous movement remind me of a lava flow. Slowly and inevitably creepy forward, demolishing everything in its path, unstoppable by conventional means.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DeimosRising posted:

I don't get it. Is this a song from Evangelion or something? I haven't seen it. I do note it says something about "The 19th Angel: Godzilla" and I know there's something about angels in Evangelion so
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lVwp328Nmps
They play this song before every major battle from what I remember

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It's amazing how many people don't get aspect ratios. When the game BioShock came out, gamers lost their poo poo when it essentially did "open matte" - it was designed for 16:9, and when run on a 4:3 monitor it would show more on the top and bottom. Games up to that point were typically designed for 4:3 monitors and expanded the horizontal view on a widescreen monitor. People absolutely could not wrap their heads around this concept and there was a horrible whiny tempest-in-a-teapot about it from entitled widescreen monitor owners who thought the game was broken.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dylazodelan posted:

Speaking of suits, see what happens when Toho just lets these beautiful, beautiful monster suits rot away:

http://imgur.com/a/OarLM

One of those pics is of those modified "Raids Again" suits that were supposed to be shipped overseas.
What's the winged lion?

And is it actually possible to preserve these suits? I thought the latex breaks down over time.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I unexpectedly saw this yesterday at what was probably the only showing in the state. Theater was packed.

Everything up to the conclusion of the Stage 4 attack was better than I expected. I wasn't prepared for it being as funny as it was.

However I felt the movie lost a ton of steam after that. The next segment dragged on too long and the final "battle" was a bit perfunctory. There didn't seem to be a lot of tension during that sequence, just "hey we're doing our plan now, it's working, OK we won."

Silliest thing IMO was the back lasers. Shooting out a laser beam - fine, tail shoots lasers too - OK I guess, BACK LASER GRID OF DOOM - really?

One question I had from the epilogue: they mention something about the Godzilla particle having a really short half-life so it would be gone in two years. Was that just the radiation or is it for the big guy himself? Will he melt away or are they stuck with a giant frozen Godzilla statue forever?

I'm pretty excited for further movies with some of the other monsters reimagined a similar way. Here's hoping for an insane King Ghidorah in the next one.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The back lasers are basically just an updated version of that full-body beam attack he did sometimes in the Heisei moves.
I think I've only seen two of those and I don't remember that.

Back Lasers just seem sillier than the rest of it. At that point why does he even move when he's attacking anything? Just blast lasers everywhere since apparently that's a thing now.

Lasers coming out of his eyes, lasers coming out of his... wherever. In my opinion, it was off base.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Maxwell Lord posted:

The deal with Shin Godzilla is he's an organism that instantly adapts to face danger, so, danger from above? Back lasers.

It's actually kind of a neat take on the premise. Radiation promotes mutation, so Godzilla is a creature that continues mutating to survive in its environment.
That's actually a more satisfying way to think of it - it's a super goofy specific power he developed for a very specific threat. It fits in with the mini-monsters on the tail too. Those pesky humans seem to be able to incapacitate a single large organism, so try breaking up into a swarm of smaller critters instead. Did he have the tail laser in the first fight or was it only the last one?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The absolute worst effect shot in the movie was clearly the stage 2 to 3 transformation. He kinda went fuzzy and they animated his skin texture or something which just highlighted every drat polygon on him. I too seem to recall some dodgy mo-cap in the finale but nothing as blatant as that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I assume it's just that the '98 movie has the horde of micro-zillas.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
What's he saying?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Can't watch the video right now, but he has really dead eyes in that pic.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is the extended version of Jackson's Kong worth watching? I hear there are sea monsters.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Vintersorg posted:

Oh man, a stand alone Ghidorah movie could be so good in the right hands. A menace from outer-space just loving things up. Not sure how you'd end it tho...

He fucks off after ruining stuff?
Our heroes face an ethical dilemma before ultimately deciding to lure him off to another recently-discovered intelligent civilization. You feel bad that billions are dying, but they aren't our billions. Maybe you can't actually kill him, only make him somebody else's problem.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Burkion posted:

Better option

Gigan is a failed experiment to try and stop Ghidorah

In the Showa Era, Ghidorah was a planet killer. Why not work that in? There used to be more life in the cosmos and then Ghidorah came by and now only monsters reign
I like that. It would go well with my Super Awesome Idea™©® (do not steal) that the humans manage to "defeat" Ghidorah by pointing him to a less troublesome planet to demolish. Maybe Earth is left to deal with Godzilla, Kong, and Gigan, but, hey, one step at a time.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Burkion posted:

The sad thing is, the original Kong doesn't even kill his sacrifices as far as we know.

It's just that no one can survive on Skull Island for more than a minute without some horror attacking them. It doesn't matter how well Kong treats you if the moment he turns his back on you six different super monsters want you dead for the crime of breathing.

I mentioned this in the comic thread, but the original Skull Island is hilariously murderous. The new one feels like an ecosystem, with things that just live there and there's only a few problem children hanging out besides the Skullcrawlers.

The original Skull Island is a horrific nightmare island where, if you go beyond the gate, you are almost certainly going to die because literally everyone wants to kill you. Nothing is benign, nothing is friendly, and all of it is always pissed off and hates you all the time.

You can't fall in a hole without finding fifty fresh horror spiders ready to tear you to pieces.

50 people enter that side of the island. Two of them come back. That might be why the new Kong is more heroic than the original- fucker can just relax for a few minutes without being constantly challenged by literally every motherfucker on the island.
Yeah the original Skull Island is amazing (I assume you're talking about the '33 version). I love how even a freaking brontosaurus starts chowing down on people. I don't know what kind ecosystem can support that level of killing but it must be a fascinating place :)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wonder if the '76 Kong would have had a bigger cultural impact if it didn't have the godawful luck of being released a few months before Star Wars.
The biggest problem with that movie is how dull Skull Island is. There's barely even a forest because I guess making tons of miniature trees would have been too expensive. Instead you have Kong on a Star Trek set fighting the cheapest monster they could come up with.

I wonder if the Universal version would have been better; The Legend of King Kong at least had some pre-production art of dinosaurs.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Choco1980 posted:

Am i the only one noticing the huge crystaline being on the poster? Teasing Space Godzilla? Finally taking Krystallak from the Atari games into a film?
I think that’s supposed to be Mechagodzilla. I’m pretty interested in seeing a really weird far-future version him instead of just “Godzilla, but blocky” that we’ve seen a lot of.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
There’s no online way to rent Return of Godzilla or Biollante, right?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

K. Waste posted:

Internet archive has the dubbed, international cuts of Return of Godzilla and Biollante, but other than that, nah.
Are those worth watching? My understanding is that Godzilla 1985 modifies Return pretty heavily (didn’t bother checking how); what’s different about the international cuts?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Wait, you’re saying that the US version of Godzilla 1985 is better than the original? Why? I just assumed that anytime they edit one of these movies for other countries they end up butchering it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

K. Waste posted:

No, I'm saying Godzilla '98 is easily one of the best '90s Godzilla films.
I’m talking about your Heisei ratings.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

K. Waste posted:

Right, and I don't mention '85 in my Heisei ratings.
Too many drat movies with the same name.

Why is Return the worst? Poor pacing?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Maxwell Lord posted:

What I'd like to see is a Godzilla film made with the participation of the Jim Henson Company. The technology at work even as early as The Dark Crystal or Fraggle Rock would be amazing for a Kaiju.
i never knew I needed this in my life

Have you seen The Storyteller? There’s a giant Griffin in one of the tales (sadly I haven’t found a great video clip of it). Despite looking vaguely like a demonic Big Bird the overall effect is amazing and I’m sure they could whip up some insane kaiju.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is it worth skimming through the anime Godzilla for the monster scenes or is even that not worth it?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJMDyWH_ZmE
:allears:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

K. Waste posted:

It will likely be Kong and Goji fighting in the post-apocalyptic wasteland made by this movie.
That’s honestly what I hope they do. For once, show a movie having apocalyptic consequences that don’t get reset by the next movie. They’re not planning on making any others after GvK anyway, are they?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is there a place to stream/rent all of these? iTunes has a pretty spotty selection.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Detective No. 27 posted:

What's Bear McCreary known for? Those two tracks are extremely my poo poo.
I have no idea but I’m watching Battlestar Galactica again and I noticed he did the music for that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I mean if I was face to face with a gargantuan magma pterodactyl and I had a gun I would probably shot it too to make me feel better

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't have that kinda time, so I'm thinking of just watching a few. I don't remember too many of the later Heisei movies, so I'm thinking at least Godzilla vs Mothra and Gidorah The Three Headed Monster.

Then I was thinking of '84, Biolante, Destroyah. Then the MechaGodzilla Millenium movies.
For what it’s worth Rolfe did a recommended intro to the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8czak8Kaq3A

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Tekne posted:

But He will rise again.
That’s a big Kong

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It wasn’t as good as I hoped but the first Clair de Lune trailer set some high expectations. The monster mayhem was about all you could ask for.

One thing I was a bit disappointed by was that the ending credits montage made it seem like the earth was recuperating rapidly due to the presence of all the titans. I don’t like it when there are apocalyptic disasters in movies that don’t seem to cause any major societal changes. The world economy would be utterly devastated by even half the carnage we saw and I hope that the next movie has the courage to deal with that... but given how “blockbustery” the story in this one was I don’t have much hope for that aspect.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I re-watched Destroy All Monsters since it seemed appropriate. It has a lot of similarities to KotM and Gareth Edwards said he wanted to make a sequel inspired by it, although I wonder how much if any of his ideas ended up on screen.

1) DAM sadly enough feels better made in a lot of ways. There are actual shots showing post-Kaiju destruction of major cities, something that KotM somehow never found time to bother with despite being like 45 minutes longer. I don’t understand where all that time went in retrospect considering DAM had a typically insane plot and lasted all of 88 minutes.
2) KotM has more monster-on-monster action, but DAM is arguably more satisfying. More time is spent ravaging cities before the final showdown. Ghidorah gets absolutely curb-stomped in this movie; I honestly don’t understand how those Kilaaks thought he could take on like 8 Kaiju solo.
3) A non-anamorphic widescreen DVD unsurprisingly looks godawful on a 65” TV

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean KotM not being as good as Destroy All Monsters is not really damning since DAM is a goddamn masterpiece
It has one of the better human plots for sure

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

HannibalBarca posted:

WB/Legendary have clearly made their fair share of missteps in constructing their Godzilla series (I'm guessing that part of the problem was that they didn't really seem to have any particular plans for a wider universe when they were writing Godzilla 2014), but I think the box office issues are much deeper and more structural: a lot of people who wanted to see this movie did like it...the bigger problem is that not many people wanted to see another Godzilla movie to begin with. And that's a problem with roots that go back further than KOTM, back past G'14, through the Emmerich debacle and the VHS bargain bin era and into the days of drive-ins and bad dubbing. I'm not sure that was a problem that could ever have been fully corrected, but in any case the window for it probably closed back in 2014, when the reboot opened huge and then had its legs immediately give out due to mediocre world of mouth.

The long and short of this is that I'm not sure Godzilla movies are ever going to be consistently profitable on a Hollywood budget, and I wouldn't be even a little bit surprised if Kong vs. Godzilla is the last Hollywood Godzilla movie that gets made in my lifetime.
I have a friend who straight up told me “Godzilla movies are never good” when I said I was excited for this movie, so yeah, I’m not sure how many ‘casual’ Godzilla fans there really are

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like what in the world was the significance of the mystery of what the secret biofrequency that the orca combined that ended up being humans instead of being godzilla it feels like a plotline that spanned nearly the entire movie but never mattered to anything ever. Why was it secret? What did it do? How did they figure it out at the end? Why did it matter?
I was confused about that too, but I think it was just so they knew what to search for in order to locate it. I believe that’s how Monarch figured out it got turned on in Boston (although how much that matters is debatable since presumably all 17 titans would be converging on it). I thought they were going to do something with it, like “ooo man’s magic frequency makes them angry” but I guess not. I’m pretty sure Magic Dad just figured it out due to being right about everything.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The picture floating around in the spoilers is from the KotM art book, based on an image search

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Most book novelizations are based on the scripts since the book is started before the movie is done. It’s very common to have deleted scenes in them since what will make the final movie isn’t known yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What we get in the film is a much lamer ‘spongey earth’ which is, at best, a botched reference to The Phantom Menace.
Clearly a reference to Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.