Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Just got back from seeing Shin Godzilla, I kind of hated it. If you want just a grade and is Godzilla cool in it; D+/C- and YES. There are cool things in it but it is not a good movie, I do recommend seeing it for having some really neat miniature filming tricks.

This movie is like 95% Bureaucratic Politics and 5% Godzilla destroying stuff, it also comes real close to being hilariously xenophobic, with all countries not Japan being portayed as selfcentered and/or trying to bully the small country of Japan into them giving control(?) of Godzilla. Listen the writing is really bad in this, like really really bad. There are massive amounts of redundant scenes which I guess was to show off the bureaucratic bloat of the government but it just feels like time bloating. Satomi Ishihara(Patterson) obviously learned her lines phonetically, because her english is so bad I laughed every time she spoke it. My only real other complaint was ending poilersthe fact that they defeated Godzilla, once again, by freezing him to death.It feels super lazy and unoriginal.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Gozinbulx posted:

I feel like I need to this again before it goes away. I watched it opening day and definitely liked it but was not nearly as positive about it as others here. One thing I've noticed through everyone's comments: everyone here watches anime and has apparently seen Evangelion. I do not so I feel like some of the things that are maybe anime tropes/staples felt strange and out of place for me. A couple off the top of my heead: crazy googly eyes: I SWEAR I've seen something like that in a brief clip or screenshot or something from an anime. Something about it definitely screaming anime to me. I didn't mind it though, I thought it was cool and interesting. The other was the music: definitely some really weird music choices that felt very much like something I've seen in modern Japanese movies and I'm guessing anime, having music that is definitely doesn't fit traditionally with whats on screen, like the weird almost jazzy emotive music while goji breathes hellfire on tokyo, and the totally silly marching music during the final godzilla-defeating counter measures. Both felt very out of place and kinda took me out of it.

Like I said, I think I'm gonna have to see this again, not least of which because I actually did like it alot, but I feel like I'm missing something that you guys all liked to so much about it. I don't think I can drag my wife to this again so I'll probably go to the movies alone for the first time ever.

Personally I feel Evangelion is terrible and that it's amazing to see that franchise remain relevant for 20 something years and not really have anything to really show for it(disclaimer: I super like Ah My Goddess! and that ran for 25 years). Like I said originally it's got interesting ideas and they're all when Anno gets away from anime tropes. I'd say a good 60% of this movie is just close up shots of peoples faces dead center with nothing going on on the sides of them or behind them. Which is something a lot of anime's do as a cost cutting measure which you don't have to do in film. Like when they're celebrating in the office because they think they found a way to fight him, you could slowly pan over to a window and tilt down and look at all of the destruction and death Godzilla has caused, it would have been a great juxtaposition of scenes.

I don't know, I've seen the movie twice now and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. There are things that are super cool and good and they are almost always followed by some of the clunkiest dialogue that are such a brutal 180 in quality that it astounds me.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
A cool thing: http://imgur.com/a/fPddB

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

Sorry for the dumb joke but yes I know that Anno was not referencing Emmerich's 98 Godzilla with the final shot

Now let us never speak of 98 Zilla again.

You're kidding yourself if you think G98 is even close to being the worst one when this exists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uICJrR7HRE

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Dylazodelan posted:

because Gigan deserves better movies than he got.

Incorrect, Gigan got the movies he deserved because he's a bitch. He almost got beat by the earth's military in the showa movies and then in Final Wars he got beaten not once but twice by a butterfly. He's the only monster in that movie to get a rematch and he loses twice.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I'm home bored so I'm going to make some gifs out of GMK, will edit posts with more:
http://imgur.com/5guzDQ2

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 25, 2016

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Gareth Edwards is doing an AMA in about 30 minutes on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/5z6x8g/i_am_gareth_edwards_director_of_rogue_one_a_star/

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Shin's getting a sequel: https://www.madman.com.au/news/hideki-anno-confirms-next-shin-godzilla-and-evangelion-films/

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

There are four little people there.

Maybe we'll get quintuplets

I count four so two for Mothra, two for Battra?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I've got a free Ultra Violet code for Shin if anybody want's it.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Whatever happened to Criterion rereleasing the Showa movies on Bluray? It's been about a year since I've heard anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Y'all ready for some viral marketing, two weeks till SDCC.