Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
My speculation Climate Change melts icecaps, frees Ghidorah, Ghidorah causes mass extinction wherever he flies, scientists unleash Mothra and Rodan to try to fight against him cause they're also flying monsters, there's way too much carnage and destruction, Godzilla wakes up and goes "Aww what the gently caress guys? Goddamn, now I have to take care of this mess." and shows up later in the movie to set to balance. He has to take everyone down to maintain order.

Someone get Wu Tang cause Godzilla just brought the motherfucking ruckus. (how awesome would it be if we get a music video where the survivors perform on the buildings while the Kaiju fight. Or, gently caress it, Busta Rhymes doing his thing on rooftops next to Godzilla.)

Gatts fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

Don't you dare suggest that Mothra is a villain.

I ain't suggesting it. She's a hero. But Godzilla got to set poo poo straight and get it settled down. It's beyond "good" and "evil" for him.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 23, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

King Ghidorah gonna kick Godzilla in the dick.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I do not know why but I am hype for this movie and I haven’t been hype for a movie in a long while.

I agree with the assessment above on some kind of sequence of events but can flip flop Mothra and Godzilla around on who is gonna save the day. Rodan seems like he’s going to have the first go, then the world gets dark and stormy so Godzilla comes in with the ruckus, then it seems when everything is pitch black Mothra rises. All based on the trailer. I actually wonder if Rodan is going to be killed. I also assume people gonna die in the temple explosion when the volcano erupts like Ken Watanabes character

Gatts fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 23, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I'd settle for

Seriously, where is Charles Barkley rumored for Godzilla va Kong?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Anno should pass the Eva baton to someone else. Like...Hideo Kojima or Michael Bay or Matt Groening...possibly Jhonen Vasquez. Let Anno move on.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Terrible Opinions posted:

I missed Michael Bay in there. Thought it was a joke about the Simpsons post Groening stepping away, and Metal Gear after Kojima left.

But isn't Bay stepping away from Transformers? Didn't Zim suck once Vazquez was gone?

(I totally wasn't going for that but sure! It was mostly thinking of dudes who are good at picking apart the pulse of culture.)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
A24 studio challenge for EVA. Directed by Sam Raimi ft. Bruce Campbell.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q38rI-t4o2A

I really like Godzilla 14. Take a look at some closer ups of Godzilla's face animations especially at the end of the clip. There's more there going on under the surface, like recognition or some kind of warmth.

Godzilla as a cranky old anti-hero is a solid version imo.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

I just don't see a fundamental difference between Brody's characterization and Taylor-Johnson's acting and what we mostly get out of Godzilla movies. I liked that reserved, observant quality - it helps in the context of films about puny humans facing god-like forces.

Agreed. It was a choice but I can see how it wouldn't be as great or as compelling as if they did something else. For what it is, it works, and it's NOT bad, but it may not have been ideal past Bryan Cranston's performance for the humans. The rest of the acting and what plays out is kind of subdued compared to the ruckus/spectacle that was Godzilla vs the MUTOs.

It is almost exactly as you say, reserved and humbling in the face of Titans or forces of nature clashing which spoke for itself. The humans in this case are simply assisting and trying to support or get by to survive cause for what they did muster, it isn't much.

In Transformers you went the opposite with humanity and the military being incredibly effective and eventually overtook the Transformers themselves in advancement, control, understanding and humbled them. But then again, fanboys bitched about that too. "OMG why can't it all be robots? WTF is the humans? Why are they there? Why do they look like that? Why does it suck? Why does Bay suck? Where's my bottle? GHLURRGGGHHHH WAAA!"

Gatts fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 28, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Having worked on military aircraft production...yes...this is some of what goes on. I validate. But this has applications elsewhere too.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Looks like a riff on the F35.

I have scheduled, managed and planned production for F35 components and the other jets including C17.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The facial expressions show Godzilla is very, extremely intelligent on a human level at the least. It was wonderful.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I feel like we’ve discussed this

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I don’t feel it’s lazy script writing. He is a husband and soldier and in the face of what they are fighting man is fallible and their own devices fail and put them at risk and he has to act to protect his family and people.

Godzilla is brought forth as Bryan Cranston’s soul anguished cry for justice. It awakens him. It’s divine almost.

There are many layers.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

awesome

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mothra is the lightbulb and the lights are the moths.

I want a character to voice over “Carrier has arrived.” as Mothra comes into battle and thousands of tiny light moths swarm over Gidorah.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I was kind of hoping Mothra would be bio-luminescent blue.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Red Pyramid posted:

That's...terrifying. There's something unsettling about something that massive moving that rapidly.

It looks terrifying and lethal. The way it moves is aggressive. Good cinematography too, with the lighting and mood and background.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

I doubt it. I think MechaG is just too silly for the Legendary movies.

I could see Godzilla going into meltdown mode, though, forcing Kong to reluctantly bring the guy down.

I think that makes the most sense and gives a good direction. They need to power up Godzilla but he starts to go critical and they have to recruit Kong and help him to prevent catastrophe and it is tragic.

Secret hope is when all looks lost Kong shows up to team with Godzilla to take out Gidorah and Kong aims Mothra like a sniper rifle for a last gently caress you laser light headshot. And then Godzilla vs Kong is them fighting over the stolen kill.

I am so drat hype for this movie, my #1 of 2019. It looks phenomenal and I think the marketing is just perfect.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mantis42 posted:

They're inferior to Krispy Kreme in every way.

Krispy Kreme is one of the more lesser donuts I've eaten. It's not even a donut and the glaze is terrible that feels like gunk and evokes a sugar paste/syrup. Dunkin is much better by comparison cause it has better texture and depth and flavor. Still not as good as a real bakery that knows what its doing and the more creative ones that allow you to customize it like a chipotle line after it falls fresh from the oil.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I'm assuming that Rodan and other Kaiju get Goji all up and active, then eco terrorist lady wakes up Ghidorah, who beats Goji in round one and he retreats to his underwater crib. ghidorah starts massacring everything so Mothra is awoken to stop KG and then Godzilla makes a last minute turn with his meltdown form to kill the giant fucker after KG blows up Mothra.

Speculation: If the Mutos wake up and cause some havok, then eco terrorist lady mistakenly wakes Gidorah causing greater problem or perhaps the mutos wake up Gidorah. If she's an eco terrorist lady maybe she's hoping the mutos wreck the oil companies like in the trailer and then wakes King Gidorah to go after energy companies. It looks like to me there's scenes of Godzilla in a volcano like area and he looks beat. I wonder if they go to Godzilla first to fight Gidorah and he gets knocked down during the city battle, then has to go to volcano to recharge and radiate up for round 2 cause there's scenes of Godzilla or something with like lava flowing off him. I wonder if Rodan is activated after the fact or around this time for support. Or I'm mistaking Rodan's body for Godzilla.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I kinda wouldn't mind if we got a little side movie or shorts about society after Godzilla 14. Like Ron Perelman's Hannibal Chau leading betting circles underground on who wins in the fights.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I say they use Kong to defend against the monsters. He's going to be used as the human's tool, perhaps set Godzilla and the others up and piss off Kong to send him off against them.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Something...genetically engineered and imbued by life from something from space by the hands of man in science gone too far!!!!???????

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
You mean why didn't they just build floating cloud cities and shoot pew pew lasers at Godzilla? Develop gas to put him to sleep? Make a Jillzilla so he could, like, chill every now and then and not be so destructivy?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
There's a thought that its not King Ghidorah that's falling to earth...it's a completely defeated Mothra because the surrounding hurricane is of the same lightning effect and storm that Ghidorah creates.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Godzilla is probably built like a bear in that he’s designed to take a lot of damage with his hyde and survive scraps. He’s got a long range beam. This also makes Kong more mobile and capable since he’s an ape.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So. drat. Hype.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Godzilla: Fancy Kaiju Party
Godzilla: Cranky and Crankier
Godzilla: King of Meltdowns

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Stay with me here...

Godzilla...pompadour. Like Redline level.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I enjoyed this, it was awesome. Godzilla 2014 is the better movie that had a lot more going on with this being more like Kong Skull Island wasting no time being faster paced, cut, and action oriented and straightforward.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Nuclear Power when used as a tool of destruction is bad but when used for power is cleaner than alternate options. Thus it is good and bad. In this case the nuke restored and powered Godzilla back up. I didn't like that the movie didn't allow itself to breathe and spend time on the scale and scope and instead was more traditional action. There's a lot it throws at you that is awesome then ends it or moves on like the underground Temple of Godzilla

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Desumaytah posted:

I just loved how absolutely lethal the monsters were. That Rodan chase sequence was way more brutal than I thought it'd be.

Rodan as Starscream is a pretty neat concept.

OMG I LITERALLY THOUGHT THAT AS I SLEPT LAST NIGHT! Rodan being Starscream is exactly what it felt like.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm hoping for Destroyah. Mecha-Gidorah is underwhelming unless a side note but Destroyah, the killer of Godzilla, seems threatening.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkcfB3z0_-0

All the Godzilla footage from G 2014. Thematically the way it's shot in 2014 by only getting glimpses or not dwelling on the monsters outside of telling the story it kind of evokes to me like staring at a nuclear explosion, like you don't, can't see it directly or only can catch glimpse or effect of it. The way it's filmed also feels more horror and less action-like. That's, imo, the main problem in some regards to KOTM which was to introduce animal/pack mentality to something that is a force of nature or manifestation of a disaster event. It doesn't work for what Godzilla is, it lessens it, but in my opinion can work for Kong since I don't think there's the same history or themes. It's awesome to see the monsters go at it but the pace and the ambiance of the conflict feels more traditional than the way Gareth and his Cinematographer shot it in G 2014 and that allowed things to breathe and settle. KOTM moves too fast except for seeing the effects of Rodan's flight and chase. Complain about the dull human part but in my opinion it was done right because it gave context to the Titans and didn't over power or take equal weight. Which is also a problem in KOTM, in my opinion. Bryan Cranston provides all the emotional weight and drive the movie needs and everything that happens is an execution of his will after death.

Also in my opinion, G2014 had some great cues to its score, like when Godzilla turns in the dust and there's actually a sort of silence to his movement. It's memorable.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mulva posted:

As the radioactive blast of the ancient god monster tears through the air around us and causes me to hemorrhage blood from my soft membranes, I muster the last of my strength to say:

Hate us 'cause you ain't us.

Hate us cause you anus?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Stairmaster posted:

why the ufck did the movie go to boston when washington dc had more interesting things for the monsters to smash in their battle god this movies so bad

Because the New England Patriots and Boston deserve ruin. They were all drawn to Bill as the Alpha in actuality, not the ORCA. Brady's kinda okay except his politics.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Instead of a bunch of exposition telling you that Godzilla is a god, the film simply depicts him that way.

Yes.

Also, today I learned that "shipping" is a thing. The hell did this come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I have no problem imagining Kong vs Godzilla because, in light of him straight up using improvised martial arts in the climax of Skull Island, I basically expect Kong to approach the size difference in largely the same way as Mad Dog from The Raid handles it

I think we need to send that suggestion to Legendary.

"Can you, like, mo-cap Yayan Ruhian fighting Brock Lesnar...and like put Kong and Godzilla over them?"