Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Guys.. is Disney trying to personally murder the Godzilla franchise? I'm just asking questions here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Burkion posted:

Final Wars is best subbed.

You miss out on the best line in the entire franchise if you watch it subbed.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

I like when Godzilla fights other monsters. Especially when he wins.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In this particular film, the characters are all like "haw haw they have the bug is loving a dinosaur. Gross." In the broader context of the series, as outlined in my previous post, the grossness stems from the fact that Godzilla and Mothra are coded as siblings. Specifically, in Three-Headed Monster, Godzilla grows to fill the role of Mothra's twin sister (after her offscreen death). The family relationship between the two characters parallels the sibling rivalry between Det. Shindo and his sister, Naoko Shindo.

Things get stranger when you take into account the references to the Versus Series. The scene of Mothra sacrificing herself to supercharge Godzilla was copied from Fire Rodan's death in Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla 1993. In that film, Fire Rodan is Baby Godzilla's brother/guardian, who doesn't actually have a relationship with Godzilla at all (Godzilla and Baby Godzilla aren't related until Godzilla is convinced to adopt him at the end). This imagery was mashed up with Mothra and Battra, coded as a divorced couple in Godzilla Vs. Mothra 1992, to generate a custody-battle narrative for this film.

In short, Godzilla 2's mix of references inadvertently mashes sibling imagery together with marriage imagery.

This is not something that was in Godzilla 2. Please don't insert your random fetishes into movies.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Fondly remembering that time Angurius got murdered by Mechagodzilla and is never seen again until the Millenium era.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Definitely a 9/10. This movie owned, just a non-stop ride. The MBB plot should've been dropped entirely but we were mercifully given only like five lines of dialogue from Weird Dad.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I deeply enjoyed King Kong's characterization of "Old Man Who Is Too Old For This poo poo."

The shot of him begrudgingly putting his shoulder socket back into place :allears:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

For context on my high rating, I thought KotM was really, really bad.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

I'll just repeat that I feel like Godzilla vs. Kong was a modern Showa-era Godzilla movie, down to the insane sci-fi elements (instead of aliens from Planet X with a cure for all disease, it's Hollow Earth with magic power crystals!), great monster characters, and light hearted human plot. It was very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was actually shocked that the one guy who's design features scream "this guy is insane and will betray everyone in a murder spree" actually didn't and was a nice dad.

Yeah, it was a pleasant surprise :unsmith: