Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

wdarkk posted:

The red glow looks kind of like Godzilla vs Destroyah. I wonder if they'll re-use "Godzilla is melting down and will contaminate everything"? Although that would make shooting all the guns while he's in the middle of a city a little silly.

I know nothing about either these directors (besides that one cool short) or the Godzilla franchise, so take this with a grain of salt. There is one shot of disaster footage in the trailer that really reminded me of post-2011 tsunami pictures. Godzilla being a walking Fukushima seems sort of an obvious route to go at this point in time. The military being really prepared but ultimately useless could be an Abe criticism, or just following Godzilla conventions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

We live in the Anthropocene now, it's becoming increasingly difficult to view nature as separate from mankind.

Godzilla 2014 tends to follow the logic of mankind can influence/wake up the monsters but not necessarily control them right? That sort of reflects our interactions with the global environment right now. We can heat up the planet, but we don't really want too and find it hard to stop. There's a lot of fair criticisms of Godzilla 2014 but the force of nature argument doesn't seem like one.