Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Could I grab an invite as well?

I’m A Connoisseur#5461

A Dapper Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
I got the Criterion Collection at the beginning of quarantine and have been enjoying the films immensely. They’re just good fun - but I was wondering what the consensus was on Destroy All Monsters. Usually there’s a decent balance of plot to monster but this one was just bloated bad plot, 5 minutes of monster goodness, and then blah. Am I alone in liking it the least of the Showa films?

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Does this collection allow me to watch the Gamera films with and without MST3K commentary?

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

The MST3K DVD sets are just the MST3K episodes. It's not just a matter of a commentary track, there's more around it.

Gotcha, gotcha - no shade to MST3K, but I'm just starting to expand from Godzilla, so I only wanted to get started on the Gamera series.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
That is high praise, because Ebirah is probably one of the best Showa-era films, in my opinion.

I just finished Godzilla vs Gigan and I know people are ragging on it, but it's some solid dumb fun. Maybe it's because it's a live action of the Destroy All Monsters Gamecube game I played as a kid, but I loved the tagteam fights. Hedorah was more of a stinker to because it was completely incoherent but pretended that it had a lot more going on, plot-wise. I do respect the message and it's got some of the most striking imagery that I've seen so far.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Question for y'all - is there a good book that goes over the Godzilla productions? Like a behind-the-scenes look at the film series?

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

The kaiju stuff is pretty good, even if it's relatively short and entirely in the dark and the rain. But, like, Godzilla never once dances or flies, what the hell?!

There's a book I've owned since I was a kid called "Japan's Favorite Mon-Star: The Unauthorized Biography of the Big G" (yes, really, I guess they couldn't use Godzilla in the title) that does this for all the movies up until the 1998 one. It mostly holds up, even if it's way out of date. Same author wrote a biography of Ishiro Honda.

Thanks so much for both of these recommendations! And I'll try to check out the Tsuburaya book too - I'm about halfway through the first Ultraman series and enjoying it a lot.

In other news, just got through Megalon and holy poo poo is it cheesy. Extremely fun but it's such a complete departure in tone. The leader of Seatopia and the coconut 'bonk' sound effect in the film are some personal favorite moments of mine.

But that aside, I really did enjoy the Megalon suit - it's a shame he never really appeared in any future films. But I might be biased toward him because I spent so much time playing Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters back when I was a kid.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Ha, vs Gigan was my favorite as a kid. Gigan make Godzilla bleed, it's hardcore!

My hot take is that the Final Wars design is stupid and ugly.

I like my perfect green and gold round boy. No need to make a literally edgy boy metaphorically edgy too.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Godzilla '54 vinyl on the way as well.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Bastards.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1331320464925454344?s=20

I've been looking at the Godzilla Deforeal stuff for a bit, and while I like this one a fair bit, I just love the doofy '54 Godzilla staring out of it.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
https://waxworkrecords.com/products/godzilla-the-showa-era-soundtracks-1954-1975

Collection of all the Showa Godzilla soundtracks on vinyl, for $450.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

RichterIX posted:

Mam, watching the Arrow Heisei discs, the city models in Gamera make the similar-era Godzilla ones look kind of crummy

Yeah, I gotta agree - Gamera: Legion especially has been looking awesome. Really enjoying the Arrow releases.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Holy poo poo - just finished the Heisei Gamera trilogy. It's a great set of movies that I'd even recommend to non Kaiju fans. The Arrow Blu-rays are also chockfull of other special features, so I can't wait to check those out.

I'd have to say that Legion is the best, followed by the first one, and that Iris is a bit weaker than the other two, despite its really great opening scenes.

Are the other Gamera films comparable?

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

I, too, look forward to having no chance buying either tomorrow.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Godzilla figure sold out in a literal second :lol:

(Managed to snag a Hedorah!)

Same! I lucked out and grabbed a Hedorah too. Mondo sells out terrifyingly fast.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Does anyone have a link to the Shin Godzilla interviews/info that talked about how Anno’s involvement changed the film, i.e. Anno slicing out romance and stuff like that? It was way earlier in the thread (unless I’m having a fever dream) and I haven’t been able to find it since.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I did a rewatch of the 90s Gamera trilogy just last week and goddamn but Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris was bad. Also that cliffhanger ending was total bullshit. :argh:

I’ll second this - Gyaos sets the stage, Legion really hits its stride, and then Iris starts strong but gets lost. Like I really loved the ‘side effects of monster rampage’ angle but I remember just wanting it to end. Legion is really the true top tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

They’re all available here it seems:

https://heroesvillains.com/collections/godzilla?page=2

Look pretty good.