Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

So did the guy who jumped into the ocean do that because he wanted to be eaten first? Was he hoping to commune with Godzilla down there? Did he become Godzilla? I wasn't clear on what happened there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bimmi posted:

platonic ideal of a Godzilla movie

The Form of the Goodzilla.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Scientists teach Kong sign language so he can cut promos on that jabronie Godzilla.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I'm distracted at work thinking about this goddamn movie. I hope Godzookie is in it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Throughout my hype for this film Iíve ended up discovering that a couple of my friends just donít have a love for Godzilla. Not an active dislike, just that the premise of a giant lizard stomping on things never enticed them.

I just donít understand.

If you were lucky like I was, you grew up with Godzilla marathons running on TNT and had the VHS tapes long enough to record three or four of them in a row.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Can't lie, I'm disappointed. Maybe I got it all wrong, but I thought I heard there would be 17 giant monsters in this movie.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Honestly I was hyped as hell for this and severely let down. How do they keep putting the same Hollywood bullshit in so many movies? The only way I can enjoy rewatching this is by telling myself, "It's a movie about giant monsters, it's okay if nearly everything about it is stupid." But that works much easier when it's guys in rubber suits, not 21st century CG.

"God........... Zilla!" Oof.

Worst part was the sense of scale, both physically and time-wise. How big is Ghidorah's head? How long would it take a helicopter to fly from Antarctica to Mexico? How many embarrassing lines from ethnic characters can fit in one movie?

gently caress.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

2014 was better.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Saw it again with somebody who hadn't seen it yet. Already knowing about all the terrible dialogue, I was able to watch for details and enjoyed it much more. So much work went into the insane visuals in this movie. The credits indicate it took a small army. I can't help but think, however, that my main takeaway from this viewing was that NOBODY in the theater laughed at ANY of the "funny" lines. And we had a pretty good crowd. People seemed satisfied with the action, though. This one is probably in the top 20 Godzilla movies.

Just to be sure, I looked it up: There are THIRTY FIVE Godzilla movies.

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 16, 2019

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Mantis42 posted:

Listen, his name is Mike, please stop referring to him as the insulting "'white dad" monicker.

I think his name is Mark.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I'm still mad KOTM had a literal plot device. And that they didn't even need it. The computer on their giant hypersonic jet locates and identifies Ghidorah when they're within Star Trek sensor range or whatever. By the way, how are they all standing up and walking around inside a vehicle moving faster than sound? And why do they need a device to find the giant monsters that are easy to spot because they're giant monsters? And why did the local news reporter deliver the line "This is the greatest disaster in the history of the world" with the exact same cadence a local news person would say "Officials agree, the fireman should be lauded for removing the cat from the tree." And furthermore.......

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Karloff posted:

When the 2014 film came out a friend of mine came up to me knowing I was very fond of Godzilla and asked me what I thought. I said I liked it, but he didn't feel the same way and said it wasn't a "proper Godzilla film", I asked how so, and he said "Since when has Godzilla been able to shoot poo poo out of his mouth". To which I responded "Since forever". It was very odd, I think maybe he was confusing it with other things, or maybe getting the 98 film wrapped up in his head. The Godzilla films were less ubiquitous on UK televisions than I gather they were in America, so there's a good chance most UK viewers of the legendary Godzilla films will have never seen any of the Toho films.

I saw the 2014 zilla in the theater with someone who didn't know Godzilla could do that. She was shocked.

edit: SNYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Genuinely glad I clicked this.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

feedmyleg posted:

Pitch your idea for a kaiju theme park attraction.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

2014 is the only one of these movies that conveyed the titanic scale of these monsters correctly. KOTM and GvK just look like all the Marvel superhero movies. Just man-sized CG characters fighting on an extremely sunny day.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

The new MechaGodzilla design lacks character. I watched this movie two days ago and I can't really remember what it looks like. It had moving spine bits, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Roger Corman is one and the same with God.