Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Bunches of scenes of people in blue boiler suits sitting in meeting rooms and having terse yet polite arguments? Thank gently caress we're finally getting back to the classic Godzilla format!

(I'm not even joking)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective Dog Dick posted:

The shot of the tail swinging over the houses in the trailer is spectacular.

It was genuinely nightmarish in the best possible ways. I love that shot.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a video which shows the lineup of tanks from Evangelion which ends with a similar shot from a Godzilla movie which they assume was an inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6O-id9uLvU&t=22s

Here's the shots from Shin Gojira for comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysRIwlEBjuw&t=54s

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 16, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Timby posted:

Yeah, it's absolutely fair to say that Godzilla '14 isn't the movie we were initially sold on.

Especially since the early trailer teased a dead Kaiju which never appeared in the actual film:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ZombieParts posted:

I never can get past the 4 or 5 guys on the roof-top shooting rifles at Godzilla. It was like a running gag in the movie that people would point pistols and small caliber rifles at the monsters.

Maybe they thought they'd get lucky and hit his Colossus weak point

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maxwell Lord posted:

Like BvS, King Kong and Godzilla are manipulated into fighting by, I dunno, the Xians or Kilaaks or the Aliens from the Third Planet of the Black Hole, then they unite at the end to face off against Gigan with the assistance of Mothra, and we see news footage of Rodan and Varan and Baragon in brief scenes setting up Destroy All Monsters.

The film starts with a scene where Jet Jaguar gets shot in the face and killed but he's not identified by name.

Baragon comes back in time to give a message to King Kong but he misinterprets it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mantis42 posted:

Spider-Man shows up in 2nd act, is immediately crushed.

Not if it's Japanese Spider-Man. :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yoshifan823 posted:

Man I wish I could see this in IMAX, I bet it's glorious.

I should be getting a nice tax return any day now and I've always wanted to visit Japan and there must be some cheap rear end flights sometime ..... I don't think I can quite justify it but drat, it'd be nice.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
At least you guys are getting some kind of release, there's still nothing announced for here in Australia

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The imdb/com release dates page now has

quote:

Australia 15 September 2016 (limited)

Oh dammit where where :supaburn:

Edit: Village Cinemas have it listed for Oct 13
http://villagecinemas.com.au/movies/godzilla-shin-godzilla
:neckbeard:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 10, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Often when you're watching an old genre film you can pretty much guess what the scriptwriter put down on the page and figure out what they were hoping would get shot versus how the budget restraints dictated the scene would actually end up being. If a film has got a lot of heart I'm usually happy to ignore the visible strings and shoddy CGI and glimpses of stagehands or what have you but for some reason I'm always thrown by visible matte lines.

But then again I guess people like me who grew up watching the old 1960s/70s episodes of Dr Who really didn't have much choice, you just had to put up with lovely special effects or you stopped watching. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 18, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That concept art for Mothra is awesome. :allears:

I love reading about the original concepts and scripts for films that fell through the cracks but thinking about the films that went into turnaround or got completely mangled while they were dragged backwards through development hell or completely rewritten because a particular director or star got attached can be pretty depressing.

Charlie Brooker's segment about how to get your idea onto broadcast television is roughly applicable to the process of getting a script turned into a movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MszYiKczYls&t=370s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

Mothra is a he.

How can you tell?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ignimbrite posted:

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyessssssssssss, my cinema gets it. No times released - do these types of releases usually have an evening showing?

Village and Hoyts cinemas have session times on their websites already if your local is part of those franchises. Looks like it'll only run for a week or thereabouts so make sure you see it when you get the chance, if you wait you'll miss it!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Godzilla's agency was closeted until the end of the movie. Edwards literally closes the door on Godzilla's rage.

"..... aaand we'll save that for later."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just got back from watching it and I absolutely loved it. Such a great homage to the '54 film and probably the closest possible cinematic experience to how audiences must have felt watching the original way back then.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pospysyl posted:

The eyes are actually my favorite thing about the new designs. All the previous Godzilla designs have these expressive eyes with some kind of intelligence behind them. The blank eyes of the new Godzillas are super creepy since they show that they're completely alien animals. In fact, the eyes probably don't even see. The scientists speculate that Godzilla was mutated from a bottom dwelling sea creatures, and the thing about those kinds of animals (they're called troglofauna, I think) is that even though they have eyes, they're completely vestigial, since there isn't any light at the bottom of the ocean with which to see. Later, they establish that Godzilla has radar sense, implying that he isn't using his eyes. That's why the fourth form's eyes are so tiny and googly. They're not focusing on anything. I really like the biological aspect to the new Godzilla and that he's more likely some kind of weird fish than a lizard this time around.

The eyes also make the Godzillas look more like puppets and rubber costumes, which is nice.

Similarly, his teeth in his final form are tiny, jagged crooked little things which are sticking out of his jaw at seemingly random places because what the gently caress would he need teeth for? He's powered internally so it's not like he's going to be hunting for food, in his final form they've become vestigial.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

david_a posted:

At that point why does he even move when he's attacking anything?

Because if he uses his beam weapons too much he needs to shut down for a while and that's a pain in the rear end.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maxwell Lord posted:

Will Godzilla's design become more traditional to facilitate monster fights, or will they find a new way to stage them, etc.

drat, imagine kaiju like Gigan or Megalon with Shin Goji's evolutionary phases.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mandatory lesbian posted:

hmmm okay so the word probably isn't hermaphrodite but i don't know what else to call a self-reproducing animal

It's hard to apply a label because we can't really tell what's going on there. The flaked off parts they found left behind which they thought might grow into a new creature would be an example of fragmentation, the new creatures growing from Goji's tail would be ... budding, perhaps? We don't really know what kind of reproduction it was without knowing whether those new creatures developed from unfertilized eggs (parthenogenesis) or from sperm (sperm-dependent parthenogenesis) or just grew like dividing cells.
Note that I'm not in any way an expert

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mandatory lesbian posted:

i meant the 98 zilla, tho i guess it applies to this one as well, different processes of reproduction aside (budding vs eggs)

Ah, the '98 Zilla would have been asexual reproduction via parthenogenesis. There's actually dozens of species of unisex lizards and other reptiles which reproduce via obligate parthenogenesis but there's also sexual species that occasionally reproduce parthenogenetically under certain circumstances (such as komodo dragons!) so we still can't say whether Zilla was one or the other.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

disjoe posted:

I think the real question is Shin Godzilla v. Star Destroyer.

G wins, clearly. But a Star Destoroyah, on the other hand ....

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vintersorg posted:

What the gently caress is this?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

I worry about that movie.

I don't have the best track record with the writer and they've been hiding Godzilla's design pretty hard. Hopefully it'll be good please be good

The official twitter account for the movie retweeted this tweet from the anime convention where the film will premiere which has an outline of Godzilla's head printed on a water bottle label:
https://twitter.com/animejapan_aj/status/840082310070386688

I think that might be the only image of Godzilla they've released so far and even then it might not be what appears in the film.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mllaneza posted:

Two "revival" movies and no sign of the twins. A shameful display.

People are saying they see two human figures there but it looks like there's more than two to me

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Toho released a featurette on Godzilla: Monster Planet. It doesn't show the Big G himself but there's a few glimpses of some gnarly kaiju and tons of sets and spacecraft WIP shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJEIAZNny7U

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

It's one reason why I'd be really worried about the Star Wars franchise if I was a Star Wars fan, because that whole pump out a movie every goddamn year thing is not going to do anything good for them. Episode 8 is the last movie where that might not be a problem, but after that, whoo boy

There's no way that Disney would shortchange any of their Star Wars film productions in terms of budget or facilities or staff and they'll have a lead up of several years for each movie. Pumping out one a year is Disney being restrained, they could have easily scheduled several a year like they do with their Marvel superhero films.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bimmi posted:

Yoshimitsu Banno, director of Godzilla vs. Hedorah, has snuffed it. I think it's safe to say the guy changed my life.

He was also assistant director on Throne of Blood and Hidden Fortress so .... drat.

Here's an interview with him from 2014:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1dL7lA7bss

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vintersorg posted:

Is he?

I haven't watched it in a while but I remember him just coming back from a tour, seeing his wife and son for a day then getting called to Japan cause his dad is in loving jail. And it's something he's been dealing with his entire life. Kinda wears one down. Or are we talking about different thing? :3: haha

Cranston was the leading character in act 1.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Low Desert Punk posted:

Do any goons go to G-Fest in Chicago? I've went every year for the past 3 years, so many fun Godzilla panels from authors and crew.

I wish I could go. I'd even make a costume for the cosplay parade but I live on the wrong side of the planet. :smith:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Charlz Guybon posted:

We need more giant inscet movies in general. It boggles my mind that we haven't had a mainstream one since ... Eight Legged Freaks? (I know those are arachnids)

SyFy have been keeping the tradition going strong with films like Mansquito, Lavalantula and 2Lava2Lantula but there's also been recent mainstream films like Big rear end Spider and the upcoming It Came from the Desert .

Wikipedia has a handy list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_natural_horror_films

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's thematically close to my cock and balls, which, sadly resemble Shin Godzilla after an incident with a microwave.

Same

http://i.imgur.com/KHXvzU0.gifv

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

He's on screen a little less than 2014 Godzilla, but the movie is also 30 minutes shorter.

According to this graph (because of course someone made these graphs) Godzilla appears on screen in the 2014 film for 9 minutes and 56 seconds:

... which is 8% of the total runtime, the second lowest percentage of all the Godzilla movies.

Sato has said that Shin Goji appears on screen for 18 minutes and 8 seconds which is 15% of the runtime.

(Also G2014 is only 3 or 4 minutes longer that Shin Goji according to imdb.com and Wikipedia)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

Kinda deceptive though because Godzilla 14 has a lot of MUTO action, which if you include that probably brings the two movies to about the same number.

I watched Gamera vs. Barugon recently and that whole "Human protagonists spend pretty much the whole movie busting their rear end trying to deal with boring secondary kaiju until the kaiju the audience paid to see shows up and kicks its rear end in the final few minutes" vibe reminded me a lot of Godzilla 14. GvB had way way way more Barugon than Gamera.

Legendary are pretty clearly trying to set up a shared universe where Godzilla and King Kong become humanity's protectors against all the evil kaiju (and I can't wait for the inevitable G/KK buddy cop movie) but it felt pretty weird that the protagonists in both G14 and Skull Island pretty much spent most of the movie going "Oh poo poo there's some really loving bad poo poo going down .... oh and I guess Godzilla/King Kong are hanging around somewhere as well, that's slightly concerning I guess."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Deleter posted:

It's Gigan and Megalon and the rest of the movie is a buddy-cop movie punctuated by the world governments complaining that they're lose cannons and when they're around buildings get hurt.

http://i.imgur.com/CBWylks.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/muj8DoJ.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/fLqC2iD.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/iRmVtV9.gifV

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
New trailer for Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters, has a few glimpses of the Big G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16K-M2IzTWw

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Raxivace posted:

He seems fat.

He's always had a dad bod

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Improbable Lobster posted:

I just want more Hedorah.

How about some Neo Hedorah?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x379hrj

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ElCondemn posted:

Not according to box office mojo which has options to adjust for date and total tickets sold.

Specifically:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Terrible Opinions posted:

I was Iooking at box office mojo and the all time box office sales number gives different numbers than the screenshots by Snowglob of Doom. Regardless those show episodes 4 and 7 being by far the most popular and episodes 2 and 3 falling behind even a spin off movie. They were bad movies sorry to burst your CineD bubble.

I'm certainly no fan of the Prequels and I'll be an OT man 'til the day I die but Episode 4 is the 2nd biggest movie in the history of cinema so of course almost every other movie is going to pale by comparison. Phantom Menace is still #18 on the list of biggest recorded domestic box offices (adjusted for inflation) so even though it's trailing behind the entire OT and The Force Awakens it was still more popular at the box office than The Avengers or Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Dark Knight or Ghostbusters.

I don't like it and I can't explain it but that's how it is.

Edit: also this is definitely the wrong thread to be having this discussion

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 11, 2017