Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You know Godzilla movies had those kinds of shots decades before Evangelion right?

Yeah, like, the reason Evangelion looks the way it does is because Anno is a giant loving nerd who loves Godzilla and Ultraman, and Evangelion was a love letter to tokusatsu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's weird after how fugly The Avengers was that McGarvey immediately helmed one of the most visually striking popcorn movies in recent memory.

There's only so much a cinematographer can do when the director is a screaming idiot.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

It's ultimately just a hyperbolic adjective but Whedon really does strike me as the kind of guy who, in private, gets incredibly shrill about inscrutable nerd poo poo

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

You'd think after the billionth time a Godzilla movie is the subject of a "too much talking not enough stompy monsters" hot take, someone might realize that the monsters are traditionally there in a Godzilla movie to facilitate the characters, not the other way around

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Antti posted:

I would totally be down for a kaiju movie that treats the situation painstakingly realistically and focuses on the political and leadership challenges such a scenario imposes, but it sounds like this one doesn't even do that right, and I'm also probably the only person who would love that kind of movie.

Counterpoint: it's loving Kotaku

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

I don't get it. Is this a song from Evangelion or something? I haven't seen it. I do note it says something about "The 19th Angel: Godzilla" and I know there's something about angels in Evangelion so

Decisive Battle is one of the iconic themes from Evangelion and generally played either over a montage of NERV doing some Thunderbirds poo poo or the buildup of a fight before poo poo really hits the fan.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

you know the question im more wondering is why the little bro needed a double

i guess he was sick that day

Child labor laws mean kids have a hard cap on how many hours they can work a day so most works with kid actors will use doubles literally every time the kids face isn't in the shot

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Raxivace posted:

When I was a kid I wanted to be Godzilla when I grew up. Did anyone else feel that way?

I'm the opposite, the onset of adulthood has only awakened my lust for mass destruction

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Iirc didn't it come out a few years ago that 98 was pitched as a much more traditional Godzilla movie, but toho refused to let them either use any of the classic monsters or create new ones?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Sagisu at least throws a couple of twists on Decisive Battle compared to its Eva versions rather than directly quoting himself

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Why can't my army guys be crazy action guys instead of a man who is stunned that a giant lizard has shown up on earth.

A narrative about how calm rationality is useless in the face of nuclear dinosaur god doesn't really work if your leading character is already a nutbar in act one.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

I bought and watched Shin Godzilla last night and it's one of the most batshit crazy movies I've ever seen from a film making point of view. Like, all those scenes of people like, doing science that are shot and edited and scored like a Michael Bay action scene, and the sound design in general, just...loving insane. I loved it.

Anno has a very fun and intriguing style and I sincerely hope he does more live action stuff after he finally kills evangelion.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Line of Skull Island- "Sounds like a bird but it's a fuckin' ant."

I kinda want his Reilly's characters son to show up in the modern movie, played by Reilly, just so we can have sweet sweet Steve Brule-esque commentary on the rest of the legendaryverse.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

K. Waste posted:

I've heard of it, but never watched it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was a lot of psychosexual, gender political poo poo going on under the hood.

I mean, I suppose this isn't a wrong way to describe evangelion.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Ah, so it's like Crash with mechs

The Cronenberg one, yes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I would stab someone irl to see this happen in a Legendary movie.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

You have surpassed even the Mothra. You have earned the title of 'Big Mothra'.

I am undone

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Those are definitely not humans.

Humans, recreated in Godzilla's image

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Burkion posted:

That's an actual

Okay sure fine

Wonder what his powers are

Being Godzilla.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

My guess is that the angle is global warming melted the ice keeping Ghidorah contained, therefore she doesn't feel bad about freeing Rodan and Mothra and them running loose on humanity in the process. The character's reactions are because jesus christ lady these things are gonna kill us all.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Doesn't Mothra have a larva stage?

its almost certainly mothrapillar, yes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Skull Island could be an absolute loving dogshit movie in every other possible aspect and it would still be worth it alone for Kong unsheathing a tree like a god drat katana.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I highly doubt that Toho signed a deal that prevents then from using one of their flagship IPs however the gently caress they please, the lack of followup to Shin probably has more to do with Anno wanting to work on his own projects again/he ruffled feathers by coming into Shin Godzilla and deciding to actually direct it instead of churning out NHK filler like the initial plan.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Julius CSAR posted:

oh my god shut the hell up and post cool things about godzilla. goddamn, nobody loving cares about your masters dissertation

this is the discussion forum for movies, you baby. they literally made an entirely separate movie hugbox for people scared of words, so gently caress off to BBV if you don't want to read.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Oral history goes back a lot longer than people think, native Americans have seemingly accurate historical descriptions of the formation of crater lake in oregon 8.000 years ago and Australian aboriginals have stories retelling confirmed geological events from over 10,000 years ago. I have zero trouble believing that, in-unicerse, oral history goes back long enough to remember the last appearances of Ghidorah, especially since Skull Island features a culture of seemingly immortal humans.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Zack Snyder is the only man working in Hollywood I'd trust with an Evangelion film.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Panos Cosmatos' Devilman

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

What can I say, godzilla just fuckin hates boats

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Tekne posted:

The true monster is mankind.

I can't believe I have to say this,

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Saw this movie and thought it was loving incredible, and I really gotta give the animators credit for being able to communicate so effectively that Gidorah is the single smuggest piece of poo poo in the known universe. also extremely happy they kept his original origin of being a Terraforming alien hellmonster, was worried they might chicken out on that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Mothrowns

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

My interpretation of the whole nuke thing: nuclear weapons in the west are seen less as a weapon and more a symbol of power, a testament of a country's status in the world. Having nukes is a sign that you're worth taking seriously, and having The Most Nukes is a sign that you're king poo poo.

The Monsterverse has, from my perspective, taken the stance that mankind's folly is thinking that they are in control of the world, rather than just a part of it, and most of the conflict in the three movies comes from humanity trying to force their will on the world and getting smacked the gently caress down in response, such as trying to contain and destroy Godzilla and the MUTOs, rolling into Skull Island and bombing the poo poo out of it like they own the place, or trying to manipulate the Titans with the Orca.

Success in these movies has always been tied to a willingness to reject that human egoism and accept the power of nature's champions, rather than trying to force human will to the forefront.

The nuke scene is a synthesis of these two ideas. Once again, mankind has hosed things up by kramering into the middle of poo poo, this time by dropping the Oxygen Destroyer on Godzilla and nearly killing him. Serizawa delivering the nuclear warhead to Godzilla is not merely a powerup, but symbolically, Humanity is taking the symbol of their absolute power, a weapon that cracks the atom, and returning it to nature. Like returning Excalibur to the lake is the symbol of the end of King Arthur's reign, delivering the nuclear bomb to godzilla essentially signifies humanity ceding its dominance to the King of the Monsters.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Ahhh poo poo, I wanted to check out KOTM in 4DX or whatever the hell and yesterday was the last showings of any theater near me. Welp.

Yeah, I was gonna see it again but in IMAX tonight, but the imax near me already rotated it off their big screens in favor of loving Dark Phoenix.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

What are the problems with space Godzilla

Its really boring, kinda long, and all the fights are choreography-less beam-offs

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I have no problem imagining Kong vs Godzilla because, in light of him straight up using improvised martial arts in the climax of Skull Island, I basically expect Kong to approach the size difference in largely the same way as Mad Dog from The Raid handles it

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I imagine that if they’re doing the mechaG in a godzilla suit beat then it’s not gonna be that the real godzilla only shows up in the end, but that it’s a mix of kong fighting real and mecha-G over the film until they realize what’s going on

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

oh man they're gonna have suitmation-accurate Jet Jaguar in the final episode aren't they

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The funniest parts of OG Blob are the ridiculously jazzy theme song and the end unintentionally implying that the blob will be freed by climate change, a bit I found so funny that I really hope the next remake uses that as its hook.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

GvK feels like such a small film in comparison, to me. Criticize KOTM all you want but it really felt like it sold the scope of the story it was telling and everything it did involving the kaiju felt appropriately spectacular, but GvK has a weird mundanity to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Yeah, one of the recurring gags is the main character’s title chyron getting progressively longer and more ridiculous every time he gets promoted