Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I just watched Godzilla '14 and it was pretty good but I really hope Shin Godzilla makes better use of Bryan Cranston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The only problem with the tadpole godzilla is his eyes just look a little off. Like in the uncanny valley sort of way. Or maybe it''s just because the situation is so patently ridicolous/absurd.

What are you referring to by soggy noodle scene.

All in all, it's probably my film of the year.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think I missed that because I was in the bathroom.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Well, the prime minister is incinerated essentially as punishment for being concerned about collateral damage (literally, for not making to order to blow away an old man carrying his disabled wife) and for allowing foreign powers to infringe on Japan's sovereignty. That's quite some subtext, and I understand how people might view the film as having right-wing ideology.

Old guy was only somewhat endanger of being blown up. Those anti-tank missiles would have probably had a similar effect on him as the bunker-busters bombs the USAF dropped on it with the added benefit of maybe actually killing him.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yeah because no one in america will want to see Godzilla fight Mothra while causing 7 9/11s to some city.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Half-Century War has a good section where Godzilla and Anguirus fight in the middle of Vietnam

who wins??

e: oh wait its an actual godzilla thing nvm

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 23, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Godzilla vs Space-Godzilla is not very good.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Great now I want a remake of The Raid but with Kaiju.

so a modern bambi meets godzilla

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sean schmmel and chris sabat as the two b-2 pilots

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaa I wanna watch it agaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/Swery65/status/816789992592654336

quote:

Last retweet is in Japanese, but super fascinating; The Art of Shin Gojira apparently has some unusually honest interviews with irate staff. There's a fair amount of interpretation by the article author in there, too, but the main thrust is that Anno stole the movie from Higuchi.

Anno was originally not supposed to be on set at all, but showed up anyway, and frequently overruled Higuchi, who wound up keeping peace. Anno himself claims he felt the staff were doing 'routine work' and deliberately introduced tension to the set to force better work. He did poo poo like insist they have six cameras rolling all the time and do pick up shots himself on his iPhone.

Then in editing he ran ripshod over everything as well, driving the CG department nuts by making them roll back shots to a less polished cut and completely jettisoning romance and family drama subplots written by another screenwriter.

Anno is my hero.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

1984 godzilla in the middle does not want to be there at all.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why is godzilla jr so small in this

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

he's not that much smaller than burning godzilla

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Rogue One is at least as good a genre film as Shin.

but i actually want to see shin godzilla again

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

But the Empire has made Darthgodzilla, which is just Mechagodzilla in Darth Vader's armor.

thats not how star wars works you gently caress!!!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the blurays out!!!!!!!!!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

So did anyone else see Kong: Skull Island?

who else is loving hyped for Rodan and King Ghidorah? I have Mothra, she can gently caress off though.

go die in a fire

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Godzilla will be shinji's new dad.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Also mothra.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I was rewatching this and i just noticed its pretty much stated that the us was planning on more than dropping a few bunker busters on Godzilla. It seems like they were gonna re-enact rolling thunder on tokyo with the damage predictions they gave the ministers.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

or maybe they didnt

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

those fins sort of remind me of 2000 godzilla.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i hope godzilla wins

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

The recent Monarch viral marketing implies that Hedorah, the Koolest Kaiju, was involved in the London Smog

yeah that's why he's asking it dummy

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Legendary godzilla is a godlike being but shin godzilla is an eldritch deity. So the fight would be hideously lopsided.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

F/SN is 60% food 30% violence and 10% fates worse than death

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Fate/Zeros literal second or third scene was just a guy standing in a the center of a room while another man walked in a circle around him explaining the premise.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

It was. I was amazed that UBW was somehow worse.

nice username post combo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

devils advocate: are you sure they aren't just normal size on the poster for marketing purposes

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wait theres boobs in terror of mechagodzilla??????

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why is king ghidorah getting a solo movie when he/shes a bad guy. Who would the antagonist even be? Space godzilla?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Warner Bros wasn't man enough to get the rights for anguisaur or (insert your favorite b-list kaiju here)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Godzilla Jrs mom was rodan

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

my cat is norris posted:

I'm going to disappoint a few of you by pointing out that the figures near Rodan most likely are not direct references to Gigan. They're obviously human -- they've got human torsos and legs -- and that they've got beasty parts is very in line with meso-American artwork.

https://i.imgur.com/71CeegI.png

The figures flanking Rodan are probably wearing headdresses and other clothing to give themselves the appearance of Rodan, the way the Aztecs and Mayans would wear animal headdresses.

That said it still loving looks like a tiny Gigan and I hope there's Gigan at some point in this film series.

so its frankenstein's monster then

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No that's just an urban legend

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nuclear power != nuclear weapons.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I hope she's actually gigan

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You promised me a trailer!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

got godzilla: rage across time for christmas and it slaps. The framing device(a pair of archeologists searching for evidence of godzilla & friends throughout history) seemed mostly superfluous though except for the last story.