Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mon1OKT6q2U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Interesting thing is apparently it does have a US distributor (most likely WB).
http://augustragone.blogspot.com/2016/07/godzilla-resurgence-to-hit-100.html

Also more footage and score preview (though taped off TV)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvJhZFUnEV8

Also at an advance screening one person called the film "fascist propaganda" :lol: The two other reviews that I've heard of basically said it was either okay or meh.

Apparently the military in the movie is not the SDF, but an "offensive-oriented" Japanese military (which is fine by me). If you want to know why this is controversial just google Article 9 Japan debate.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 20, 2016

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jimbot posted:

Are these reviews in English? Do they elaborate on that?

No, it's from internal sources another person knows. Apparently it's the Japanese military not being configured as the SDF. I can't add anything more unfortunately. That person hated the movie though and said it was as bad as Attack on Titan FWIW.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I am loving ON BOARD for a fascist propaganda Godzilla movie. You couldn't sell me harder on the movie if you tried.

As a devotee of 1980s Cannon Films so am I.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Improbable Lobster posted:

Probably the best of the Goofyzillas. Godzilla vs Megalon is also good.

Eh Hedorah is weirdly a mix of goofy and pure loving nightmare fuel. There is a lot of terrifying imagery in that movie.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It does indeed.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Godzilla vs Hedorah kicks so much rear end and I still wonder why it hasn't caught on in the midnight movie circuit

I don't think Toho has a 35mm print for rental. They also charge (regardless of format) a lot per screening.

Combo that with while Toho really likes the AIP (they even have a beat to poo poo print of it in their LA offices) dub they won't allow any release of that for fear of getting sued by someone coming out of the woodwork (dubber), might explain why it's not being played a lot.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maxwell Lord posted:

My Drafthouse showed it back in 2013. I think it was a film print with the International dub.

Yeah, if it wasn't a collector print (done quitely) it would be the International Dub only.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Liberal Idiot posted:

vs. Hedorah, Final Wars, and vs. Megalon are all excellent suggestions for that type of Godzilla movie, but I'll stump for Godzilla vs. Gigan (aka Godzilla on Monster Island). The bad guys are cockroach people from space and Godzilla speaks!

Gigan also has a fantastic score...yeah it's all stock music, but it's still good.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PriorMarcus posted:

I really don't get what's going on with the trains in that trailer. :iiam:

It's being used to immobilize him. The trains are packed with explosives and being remote controlled. Once the immobilized they plan to pump him full of a chemical agent. It actually is kind of similar in broad concept to what they try to do to him in KKvG. They also use a poo poo ton of US Drones and even US Cruise Missile attacks

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look it's leagues better then Biolantte where everyone sounds like they're having a stroke.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 22, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You should watch Evangelion either way.

If for no other reason because I want to see CineD regulars weigh in on it even if they hate it.

No you shouldn't. What makes Shin Godzilla such a success is that it is so good when Evangelion was such a steaming pile of horse poo poo. Seriously it's a week of my life I will never get back and I greatly regret it. Just know Shin is great, Evangelion is not and you'll be fine.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think you're incredibly wrong, but I'm also interested in hearing you explain why. We don't even have to argue about it if you'd rather not.

All the human drama was mind numbing crap about miserable/horrible people who I didn't care about and their personal lives. Robot stuff was fine.

That's what makes Shin Godzilla so great...it doesn't have any of the human drama I hated...along with being a fantastic movie.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Taking your kid to see a Godzilla movie in theaters is the best. :)

Never thought I'd get to take my daughter to a first run Japanese Godzilla in a US theater.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Japan as of the 22nd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PueKzMQduAk

My copy should get here sometime this week according to Amazon Japan.

THe official site updated with a complete list of the special features.
http://www.shin-godzilla.jp/bluray/index.html

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HannibalBarca posted:

We've confirmed no English subs, right?

Oh yeah. Toho never puts English subs on anything Godzilla related.

I know there are subbed boots floating around (one cut taken from an airplane screening of all things) and another was a dude caming a US screening. In short subs should be out in no time.

I mean heck I wasn't the only dude who got a screener from Funimation, so there are complete subs out there on a ton of discs.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

I was rewatching this and i just noticed its pretty much stated that the us was planning on more than dropping a few bunker busters on Godzilla. It seems like they were gonna re-enact rolling thunder on tokyo with the damage predictions they gave the ministers.

Eh I don't think so. The MOP II which is based on the real life MOP is a gigantic bomb. You're not redoing Rolling thunder. I think a more likely reading is point damage radius depending on when the bomb was deployed.

Truthfully the MOP II's that hit all hit on target and did little to no unintended damage.

A more likely reason is that whoever designed it just wanted it to look cool and didn't put much thought into it. I should post a cap of Patterson's state department bio. It's magical Engrish.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

Who's on soundtrack duty this time? Is it still Bear?

JunkieXL

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I hope Godzilla isn't portrayed as a big dumb animal especially since G'14 and KotM established Godzilla as intelligent. Or so I thought. That's one way to avoid Kong stealing the show and having more interesting methods of combat (i.e. battle axe)

I’m getting the impression that Godzilla is under some sort of control that is causing him to act violent against humans.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was thinking too that Godzilla and Kong will unite. Funny when I asked my young son who would win, he said “Godzilla and King Kong.” Honestly, I think he might just be right. I mean both Kong and Godzilla have been faces and it would be weird to do the heel turn on Godzilla, at least after the first two movies.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jimbot posted:

Godzilla's razing cyberpunk now. Refineries are way too 70 and 80's and cities are too late-90's and 00's.

If they want to mine from GvMG and the refinery fight...I’m a okay with it looking like the 1970s.

Also to truly look like the 1990s and a Godzilla film it needs tons of lovely matte work.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

well why not posted:

shin godzilla sequel could've been this

Ehhh. Shin Godzilla wasn’t really face or heel. Just an animal that didn’t ask to exist, didn’t understand its existence, and suffered for it. Honest to god it really hit on the themes of the original.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm rewatching Skull Island and it's so good. The cut to the guy eating a sandwich. :discourse:

Skull Island was a lot of fun, with my only complaint being that Samuel L Jackson’s character turn is really really abrupt and I didn’t like him becoming the quasi-villain.

The bitch please line was pretty hilarious.

https://youtu.be/oXpEQCOsywk

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Detective No. 27 posted:

American soldiers were not the heroes of the Vietnam War. :ssh:

That wasn’t what I meant. They turned him into a Kurtz with little development and honestly no reason to make him the big human bad. Honestly he could have had an arc and/or ending similar to Goodman’s character and it would have been fine.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah. I see what you mean.

I haven't seen Apocalypse Now yet, despite owning the Blu-ray. I think Jackson's character is fine. He's clearly bitter about losing the war and sees Kong as a way to get some sort of victory. Who knows what kind of heinous Ollie North poo poo he would have become had he not died on a monster island.

He does have a counter with John C Riley's character, who upon seeing Kong is humbled and makes peace with his enemy.

I can concur on the John C Riley’s character and I guess I can see that. But Jackson’s character struck me as a person who carried about his people and would have properly just retired or stayed a career soldier after Vietnam, but nothing about him struck me as a guy who was going to do horrible stuff in South America or Iran.

I guess I can also just accept he had a mental break and totally lost it. Which makes him a little more tragic as opposed to a guy who gives a speech about mowing doing civilians for fun. He struck me as bitter, but not unlike many from that era.

But like I said I generally liked the movie.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

No internet movie speculation will ever be as dumb as the people who misheard a line from the Cloverfield trailer as "it's a lion, it's huge!" and were convinced it was a Voltron movie.

Oh man. That’s bringing back some memories.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maxwell Lord posted:

The footage they use is from War of the Gargantuas which you absolutely should see, it's on HBOMax and Criterion Channel. The monsters aren't Bigfoots, but spawn of a giant Frankenstein monster (from Frankenstein Conquers the World which isn't on streaming sadly.)

Yeah in the US version (UPA version with Russ’s actually voice) not the Toho export dub) all the references to Frankenstein are removed.

Honestly FCTW is really not that good, more of a curiosity, WoTG as you mention is far far better.

In GVMG they use the term Bigfoot Garia(?) which was the green Gargantua.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mantis42 posted:

Ah, there are different dubs. That explains why when I watched it on TCM there were clear references to Frankenstein despite the host introducing it by saying the references were removed.

And even edits too, there is differences in some of the footage and editing and music used too. Some stock tracks stuff that even later turn up in NoTLD iirc.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watching it now, but it seems brighter, but in horrible at doing these comparisons. Also it could just be watching it in 4K.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CelticPredator posted:

Did they fix the blu ray copy too?

No clue, I haven’t check that version.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This was so similar to bvs lol

Good I’m happy to know I’m not the only one thinking that.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s amazing just how much better this film is then KOTM. Only area I’d say it isn’t is the score, and that’s a debatably point. Hell even the goofy stuff I was annoyed about in KOTM I’m fine with how it’s done here.

That said I hope they put deleted scenes out as extras, cause no way was that all Lance Reddick was cast for.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gatts posted:

#ReleasetheReddickCut

well why not posted:

There's no way they hired Reddick for one line. Wiki says he's cast as a Monarch high up, so between that and the brief runtime, there's definitely a subplot on the floor at Legendary.

I’ll be very interested to read about the production history for the movie when the info starts coming out. It was delayed so many times and it seemed like it was a hard transition from to KOTM to Godzilla vs. Kong.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
RIP to my Childhood GOAT

You gave this man some gas and blasting caps and he'd give you art. Those 1970s Godzilla films, along with Return of Godzilla are such a central part of my childhood (in part because they're fun as hell and US distro at the top making them a very common VHS release that was easy to get at even Sam Goody's (yes I'm old).

Do yourself a favor and pour one out to Nakano and put one on the TV today.

https://twitter.com/Patrick_Macias/status/1544263080728997889?s=20&t=wl7NLz_5uYkc-hb9PLDrFQ

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HannibalBarca posted:

Absolute king of pyrotechnics. RIP.

No one blew up poo poo better then he did. Hell the exploding highway Toho used in a bunch of movies even Godzilla 1985 dates back to Nakano's work on Prophecies of Nostradamus...which is pure concentrated insanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA0JB_AQmoA

Submersion of Japan is kind of boring, but not the effects work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh9hn279hiE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLYUMNjbukM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vintersorg posted:

The pyro was a huge part of those movies and made them even more enjoyable. RIP to a great one.

Even more amazing even during the 1970s gas shortages the man was still able to pull off crazy stuff. T. Tanaka keep his man supplied and Nakano kept being explosive drip god.

Hell even non explosive stuff ruled. The scene of Megalon attack a dam is really really well done, for any Godzilla movie, not just this one.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 5, 2022