Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

It goes to show you how much of a classic invasion of astro monster is even though the monsters are hardly in it.

Edit - also loved the hell out of shin gojira. It reminded me a lot of the return of godzilla which is probably my favorite godzilla film

dentist toy box fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Yeah it's great cause it's a wacky alien invasion movie that just happens to have godzilla and friends show up at points.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

if my memory serves right there isn't really much different between the dub and Japanese versions of it too.

That run of movies from 64 to 65 is just so good though. Mothra vs godzilla, ghidorah, and monster zero are probably the height of kaiju films.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

If anyone wants my shin godzilla digital copy let me know via pm or on here. I never use em

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Bring back Megalon and Titanosarous, just cause I like that movie a lot.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I also seem to remember talks of a new Gamera movie but that didn't seem to go anywhere.

If they got the guy who did the Heisei one's back and did a sequel to 4 I'd loving die. It's not gonna happen but i'd die.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975) owns owns owns. It's the last Godzilla movie with Ishiro Honda at the helm.

Also make sure you watch Rodan (1956) and Mothra (1961) even though they're technically not Godzilla movies.

War of the Gargantuas is great too for the non godzilla Toho Kaiju films.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

The Japanese cut of Terror of Mechagodzilla has some serious boobage going on (and robot surgery)

It's a pretty dark movie too for a 70s godzilla movie. It's def in my top 5.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Shin Gojira is a good movie and I hope we're gonna be seeing more giant monster movies come out of Japan again.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

I really like Kong 76. It's one of those movies I can't explain why I like it, but I just do.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Boxset plz

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Ishiro Honda was Kurosawa's assistant director on a bunch of movies so that's pretty close.

They were pretty close friends too iirc.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

International cut of return of godzilla is another dub than 1985 but has all the scenes in the japanese version and no raymond burr.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Half the time I forget Godzilla is in Invasion of Astro-Monster

I like to think of it as a 60s Alien invasion movies with cameos by Godzilla and friends.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

If dogora isn't in the monsterverse I'm gonna write legendary a strongly worded letter

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

The GMK suit is great imo, the only thing that would of made GMK better is if it was Anguris Varan and Baragon in the movie.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I haven't seen that one, it is?

Sorta kind of the same plot beats

You need to watch the gamera trilogy from the 90s though anyways.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

CRAYON posted:

Do this now. You can find the trilogy super cheap on blu-ray and it's a ton of fun.

I'd do it loving fast too. I think they're out of print and they're just selling off remaining stock now.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

RichterIX posted:

Also make sure you get the one that includes the version of Revenge of Iris that doesn't have super hosed up subtitles, which probably will be the only one you can find at this point luckily.

Yeah the triple pack that's the first one on Amazon to come up has the correct subtitles.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

I love how everyone politely ignores just how bad Godzilla vs Space Godzilla is in these debates.

People in some Godzilla Facebook group I'm in seem to think it's a good movie and Everytime it comes up I remind them how wrong they are.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Heisei peaked really hard with Godzilla vs Biollante and never really recovered

Fixed that up for you.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Oh wow. Don't know if that's just a nice coincidence or not. As awesome as terror of mechagodzilla is that's still an ultra deep cut.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Ahhhhhhhhhhh

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Whats that coming out of the ground.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

GMK definitely has its own style. Which people are definitely divided over still. Personally I've noticed the Godzilla films that divide the fanbase the most are usually some of the best ones.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

I'm doing a Heisei series rewatch and I'm halfway thru Spacegodzilla, and yeah one of the worst parts of that series and some of the Millenium movies is that they're almost two hours long. Even Mechagodzilla 2 while a fun movie is way too loving long.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

I used to hate the 92 Godzilla vs Mothra but on rewatch last week I realized it's actually pretty good. Probably middle of the road for the Heisei series for me.

Showa is a lot better though. If you asked me when I was like 14 I would of said Heisei though. That run of movies from Gojira to Monster Zero isn't gonna be topped ever in the realm of Japanese monster movie. Also with the exception of All Monsters Attack, even the really cheesy and bad Showa films are still a lot of fun.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

I feel kinda bad making too much fun of Godzilla's Revenge. Like yeah it isn't good but it's trying to do something. It doesn't do it well. But I think for the budget constraints Honda still tried his best.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The Criterion channel went tits up so i'm not even sure if they were even aired since they never announced disk releases :(
criterion is starting their own streaming service this year. Last time I bugged criterion with an email about it they said they hope to release them on Blu Ray at some point. But that was last August. So definitely email them and tell them you want them to be released.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Godzilla 1985 if you cut out all the American added footage and plot changes is really a much better paced movie the Japanese film. Like I love Return of Godzilla but it really drags in spots.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Nroo posted:

All of the Heisei era films are inexplicably 15 minutes too long. But if you want the exact opposite of trimming a movie down for pacing, Archive.org has a fan-edit combining Return and 1985 into one film. It's 2 hours long.

Yeah I agree there. I rewatched all 7 of them over the last few weeks and forgot how many of them are 1hr 45m or longer. Alot of them are kinda a slog to get through.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Raids again isn't horrible but oh man is the last half of the movie a chore to sit through. I know they were just trying to figure the whole monster vs monster thing out, but maybe that should of been the movies climax.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Any Ifukube on there?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

I like boillante and return alot, but to me now the other Heisei movies don't hold up too well. They're all about 15 minutes too long and don't really have the creative energy like the ones from the early 60s. I'd probably rank them

Boillante=Return>Destroyah>Mothra(hot take I know) > Mechagodzilla 2 > King Ghidorah> Spacegodzilla

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Burkion posted:

Yeah there's a reason I now think Godzilla's Resurrection, a fan edit that combines Return of Godzilla and Godzilla 1985 (so all the Japanese stuff if the blu ray recent stuff and subbed, but it has American scenes with theworst of it edited out and some of the really good American score included) as the definitive version

Because not only does it keep the great ending of Return of Godzilla, but it keeps the AMAZING Raymond Burr speech of 85, and it doesn't hard cut to the Godzilla Love Ballad inexplicably added in

This sounds pretty good. Other than the few bad cheesy choices in the American edit it really is paced a lot better than the Japanese cut.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Mothra 1992 is fine. Spacegodzilla is boring cheap rear end however.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

A theater here is showing GMK tonight and I'm very hyped.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Trying to watch all the live action Godzillas before the release of King of the Monsters.

I'm not sure if I actually watched vs Megalon or just think I did because of how many clips I've seen in youtube videos. Unfortunately I can't rent it on youtube or itunes. I might just have to re-up a streaming service or buy a dvd or something.

The Criterion Channel has it and most of the showa stuff, and I think you get a 7 day trial if you haven't used it before.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Never trust mainstream critics when it comes to Godzilla movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

Shin Godzilla was the one that squeezed through with praise though tbh it also won the Japan equivalent of the Oscar for Best Picture so it was a big cut above a lot of the series.

It also only has like 69 reviews counted on rotten tomatoes, where as like 2014 had over 300. So I think a lot of the critics reviewing a big Hollywood movies aren't going to be watching Shin Godzilla to begin with.