Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

AccountSupervisor posted:

I think the only real issue with the human stuff in 2014 is Aaron Taylor Johnsons performance and character having absolutely nothing engaging about it.

You could have replaced him with a cardboard cut out of ATJ being pulled through each scene never speaking a word of dialogue and I would have been about as interested.

The Cranston stuff in '14 is genuinely entertaining, and there's brief glimmers in the post-Cranston scenes where you could see it working with someone more charismatic than ATJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Burkion posted:

The sad thing for Kong is, to beat Godzilla, he would have to land every hit, dodge every attack, and do it all perfect. He was nailing Goji again and again and again, direct hits, full blast, all his might.

Godzilla gets a glancing blow in and Kong goes reeling.

Kong can fight as hard as he likes, but when your enemy can take everything you can dish out, and put you in the GROUND with one good shot, your rear end is in trouble

To be fair, this is every "smart guy vs powerful giant fighter" fight for the past several decades, the big difference is that the smart guy usually wins anyways.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I think it can be true that Cranston died at the correct point at which his character is no longer necessary, but also that ATJ completely failed to fill those shoes

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My main memory of Cloverfield is how very Not Into the monster design people were.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

The fact that this seemed to happen to a solid majority of monster movies in the past 20 or so years makes me wonder if there's a built-in weakness for the genre when it comes to modern audiences.

I feel like there's this modern assumption that all the best kaiju movies are back-to-back monster fights/wrecking cities, so when audiences watch these films they get confused by all the human scenes & sense-of-scale shots.

Then again, Godzilla 2014 grossed 500 million, King of the Monsters almost grossed 400 million, Skull Island hit 500 million, and GvK is doing great as far as COVID BO's go, last I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Roger Corman is easily one of the greatest directors in western cinema. He just happens to also not give a poo poo about prestige while being acutely aware of how to make a profit and deliver underbudget.

The Asylum also know how to deliver underbudget and with time to spare, but they accomplish this by doing almost nothing, rather than taking fresh director & writer & sfx & actor aspirants under the wing of someone who knows every penny pinching trick in filmmaking.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 4, 2021