Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

The only problem with the tadpole godzilla is his eyes just look a little off. Like in the uncanny valley sort of way. Or maybe it''s just because the situation is so patently ridicolous/absurd.

What are you referring to by soggy noodle scene.

All in all, it's probably my film of the year.

The eyes are actually my favorite thing about the new designs. All the previous Godzilla designs have these expressive eyes with some kind of intelligence behind them. The blank eyes of the new Godzillas are super creepy since they show that they're completely alien animals. In fact, the eyes probably don't even see. The scientists speculate that Godzilla was mutated from a bottom dwelling sea creatures, and the thing about those kinds of animals (they're called troglofauna, I think) is that even though they have eyes, they're completely vestigial, since there isn't any light at the bottom of the ocean with which to see. Later, they establish that Godzilla has radar sense, implying that he isn't using his eyes. That's why the fourth form's eyes are so tiny and googly. They're not focusing on anything. I really like the biological aspect to the new Godzilla and that he's more likely some kind of weird fish than a lizard this time around.

The eyes also make the Godzillas look more like puppets and rubber costumes, which is nice.

The "soggy noodle" scene is when we're first introduced to the new prime minister. After his briefing, he looks at his noodles and whines that they're soggy. The punchline is pretty great, "I knew this job wouldn't be easy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

Just realised - weren't they tracking the residual radiation from Godzilla's path? Then he stands still for two weeks - wouldn't there have been a notable decline of the radiation that would lead to the discovery of the hald-life only being 20 days earlier?

I'm pretty sure this is how they found out about the half life. The scientist at the end mentions that she just received data from "the survey", which I can only assume is a study of Godzilla's radiation trail. The data wasn't available until after Godzilla was defeated, which is awfully convenient, but whatever.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

On King of the Monsters: Watanabe's conversation with Godzilla basically confirms the SMG idea that Brian Cranston became Godzilla, right?

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm watching Godzilla 2014 again right before King of the Monsters and holy poo poo, I don't remember the film being THIS dark. Did the home release did hosed with or has this film always had this issue? The final act is almost pitch black on my projector.

Does the new film have issues with the black levels?

Yeah, the home release did screw up the darkness levels. Hopefully they don't screw up King of the Monsters, which worked with light exceptionally well.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It's so dumb that Bradley Whitford's character is even in this movie. "Someone's stolen our nukes, and there's only one person who can help us track them down: Robert Oppenheimer."

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This comparison really points to the ultimate failure of the movie. Nobody in the audience, even for a second, believes that Godzilla's the baddie here. Yet, in the movie, the entire plot hinges on Godzilla being this terrifying threat. Even Milly B is like "there's got to be a reason for why he did this horrible crime!"

But the actual scene is perfunctory, he's attacking this corporate facility that nobody could possibly care about, and the conspiracy poo poo + big close-up on the orb instantly tell anyone with a mind that Godzilla is attracted to the orb because the company is evil. Then Mechagodzilla is revealed to the public anyways, two days later.

It can't really be over-emphasized how much this blows as a mystery narrative.

You can imagine an alternate version where the conspiracy theory turns out to be false and Godzilla is just smashing a normal Amazon HQ or something. Literally every character would agree that Godzilla needs to be put down.

They don't even have the courtesy to have the evil corporation lie or cover anything up! CEO guy tells Skarsgard, "We need to go the Hollow Earth to build a weapon to defeat Godzilla." The only misleading thing about what he says is implying how far along the weapon building process they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Corman collaborated with Akira Kurosawa, he's not the same as the Asylum.