Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I asked this in the Criterion collection thread to no avail, but maybe it's more pointed here: is there a reason that the CC editions of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and The Terror of Mechagodzilla are dubs? Because Mothra vs. Godzilla, Godzilla, and Godzilla Raids Again are not. This is viewing them through Filmstruck, but I can't find evidence that it is different on the physical discs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I can't speak for GvMG, but Terror is an odd case because there's two different English versions and one is an outright different edit of the movie. It might be that the English edited version is the only one they could find in decent condition.

(If Terror makes sense and only has the boob shot missing, then it's definitely the television version and not the edited theatrical version, so I'm as confused as you are in that case.)
Thanks for the details about the edits. This version of Terror had the boob shot and was 83 minutes long which from what I can tell is the uncut version? I am capable of sitting through the dubbing but it was really jarring since I went in order from Godzilla up to this and it switched suddenly.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

brocked posted:

Sorry, didn't notice the absence of "not" in my post. To be clear, there's a shot while G's still frozen before the final battle where you see his tail notch open, it's ominous as hell but kinda forgettable until the final shot.

If I remember correctly there is also a mouth coming out of the tail? I almost want to say it looks like an Eva or angel mouth, at least more humanoid than Godzilla's. I remember a mouth at the end of the tail (maybe that was the jaw opening when the tail notch opens?) and in that final shot the tail almost resembles a peduncle on an agave or something similar with the humanoids coming out.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

All this talk and Netflix having it on file has caused my early morning to become a very Broderick breakfast. Agree with person who said Audrey (Aubrey?) is miscast.

The most 90’s thing is Hank Azaria’s face being allowed on film though.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Has it been done to death talking about how similar 98 and shin are in their usage of smaller creatures to almost portend a more modern, agile, asymmetric threat?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Shin Godzilla is the opposite of agile so probably not.

Fair points about the babies being just a dozen baby t-rex proxies, but with shin I was referring to the final stage that was forming out of the tail.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Peanut President posted:

It's a shame they decided to make "Cloverfield" a brand name for cheap sci fi movies because I wanted to see more of the monster.

You know, this made me look up all the movies again and that’s when I noticed: the director for 10 Cloverfield Lane was Dan Trachtenburg?

That guy from that not good podcast “The Totally Rad Show”.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Timby posted:

He also directed an amazing episode of Black Mirror.

Frankly looking at his work since the 2000’s he’s definitely not flopped upwards. Not surprised I haven’t seen the other two hosts much.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

TRS ruled actually.

I'm becoming increasingly concerned that my dislike of Kevin Rose and Alex Albrecht has bled over into properties that don't deserve it.

Nroo posted:

Have some rare Gojis:

I found this fan restoration of Cozzilla, the 1977 mondo version of Godzilla, King of the Monsters that was re-edited, dubbed, and psychedelically colorized with pigmented gels. Though the print ends up looking pretty good it's lacking subs and the colors, the main reason the edit exist, have faded significantly.

Here is a MUCH poorer quality version Cozzilla, but with subs and more accurate vibrant colors.

Also Content Warning: Cozzilla contains newsreel footage of actual bombing and people dying in brief montages.

Here's the ending with the, no joke, synth remix of Prayer for Peace:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0bGvgq35a8

It makes me wish that Italian genre films would've had a glut of kaiju ripoffs. My theory is they were too lazy to build all the miniatures..

The second video is the now rare American edit of 1984's The Return of Godzilla, titled Godzilla 1985.

Now that The Return of Godzilla has had a western home media release Godzilla 1985 is rapidly fading into irrelevance. It's the direct sequel to the Raymond Burr-starring Godzilla, King of the Monsters with the character Steve Martin spliced into the narrative again. There are other edits to the narrative New World Pictures did that foist stereotypical Cold War American tropes onto it. A key scene change is one where a Soviet captain intentionally launches a nuke towards Tokyo as opposed to the original scene where he dies while trying to disarm it.

Both are worth watching, especially if you're a completionist .

Thank you so much for posting this, it made for a really cool and chill morning.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 29, 2019

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Someone who knows a lot about projecting

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I recently watched Kong: Skull Island after picking up Godzilla 2014 for a rewatch. Is there a house style in these movies that they have adhered to? Kong felt like someone literally said “more of the good stuff from Godzilla ‘14 and less of the bad” and the crew just knew exactly how to do it. Hundreds of incredibly composed frames, like the air drop scene from G14 but they just made more of those sequences.

I slept on Skull Island a long time but it has me crazy excited for this new one.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

It just seemed so... confidently made up of those elements that worked. I guess those were some good early lessons. My thought was how much it evokes Apocalypse Now Meets The Lost Continent 70’s aesthetic. Was waiting for Rock Hudson or Doug McClure to show up.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

He’s coming to punish us for our liberal paradise, and to start an early oscars ground-game.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I just remember being so stunned when they killed off Binoche and cranston so early. I didn’t even hate the kid but what the hell.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

mllaneza posted:

Which is amazing considering it has Samuel L Jackson doing an outstanding Captain Ahab impression.

gently caress, I have about an hour to kill. I'm putting it on.

I went to go look at a scene in the movie because I wanted to get another look at something I was curious about a few weeks ago, and I just ended up letting it play through while I sat in front of the tv without really meaning to. It’s entrancing.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

From the looks of it the waterline is well over the Potomac and flooding the city. That Jefferson memorial is halfway underwater, not alongside it.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Shin Godzilla manages both the horror and the comic elements well. The titles gag gets pretty understated. Also the meetings being largely the same people recomposed in a different room. Also that shot of the wrecked district stands out in my mind still.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

VanSandman posted:

The meetings moving from room to room has a purpose. Some rooms are 'Official' meeting rooms, where minutes have to be taken and the meeting recorded, others are not. When the administration thinks it knows whats going on it goes official, when it turns out they have no idea, it goes unofficial.

I figured they had a purpose in actuality, but of course here they were wasting a lot of time until they all died. Then comes that full page-length title for Yaguchi lol. He was like the Shin Bureaucrat, having absorbed all their titles.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

He was a big boy scout.

Also his name sounds like a tire conglomerate in the midwest.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 10, 2019

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Can't find the post now, but in another thread, someone asked if the missing yachter at the beginning of Shin evolves into Godzilla, and someone agrees with him, but I never saw it that way.

Thoughts?

It was on the last page but admittedly just two posts between another discussion. That was my interpretation of the movie as well though.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Calling it now: that blue oyster cult cover will play at the credits. It’ll cut to black at the break of that first swell in the track, right after teasing GvsK.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Someone in the comments for the original song mentioned a year ago how they should use the song in the 2019 Godzilla and now that comment has backslapping and stuff going on in its replies like crazy.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

My godzilla watch list is the fragments of collection I own + what is on criterion channel, so....

Rodan
Godzilla 1954
Godzilla Raids Again
Mothra
Mothra vs Godzilla
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
Terror of Mechagodzilla
All Monsters Attack
Kong: Skull Island
Godzilla 1984
Shin Godzilla
Godzilla 2014

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

That’s a pretty kickass balloon

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I feel like monster movies should be a no brainer to set up for international moneymaking. The cast is ancillary and you don’t need much more than a diverse group of actors to run and yell “ohno!” to hold up the film. Godzilla is a hero/villain for all peoples.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

if youve ever watched a godzilla film you know this isnt true at all

The post below yours is more what I meant, I know the characters matter. I didn’t mean it like that, just that there isn’t a huge reason why the cast for a kaiju movie couldn’t have people from all over the world in it, and not just actors commonly pulling box office in the west. Like in Shin, Yaguchi really isn’t given time to argue with a love interest or go home and watch tv and jerk off but he’s not sidelined or room decor either. The government response team is almost symmetrical to the monster’s presence, and their adaptation abilities are being compared often. It has a lot of story room to approach humans as a global community, which also is the market the movies want to make money in now. Easier than dubbing or inserting clips of Raymond Burr.

All that said, I don’t know why I’m stumping for the international film markets anyhow.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 13, 2019

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The best part of ‘85 is the dude taking a long swig from a well rotated-so-you-can-see-the-brand Dr. Pepper at the climactic moment.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

That Mothra theme is wonderful

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Kong bursting in during the "if anyone objects" part was unexpected

Well that had to be for setting up the sequel.

Although the stinger at the end caught me a little off guard (is this supposed to be happening in the Eat, Pray, Love universe?)

I will say that the Julia Roberts cameo was :discourse:

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

whoa, are these real? this movies sounds confusing and bad

As real as the love between megaguirus and Javier Bardem

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

We need a gif of that godzilla in the theater fast-turning in the direction of the ringtone

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

A Ghidorah figure has appeared! For like 170 dollars.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

With how much movies cost it astounds me people pay to go and then walk out at all. Like I get having to piss during a movie every once in awhile because that’s how it goes. Falling asleep or going to get food though seems like it’s at odds with caring enough to have an opinion at all.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Godzilla beat up the big bad guy and all his former enemies became his friends.

So Godzilla is Luffy

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Watching Rodan: that scene where the stuntman falls 25 feet into 1.5 feet of water and they just leave it in and go with it, drat.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Rewatching as many as I can manage to get in order, and as I go, also watching for whichever one I saw on tv in the early 2000’s that helped me with a sad and lonely afternoon. I’ll know it when I see it, it was on some monster movie classics channel I think. Barely remember it though.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

That whole article is a doozy, good lord.

“Roland Emmerich later reversed his position, telling UGO Entertainment he had been the one who advised Sony against doing a sequel to GODZILLA. “It’s so strange because people expected it to be the biggest thing ever, then it only did well. They are disappointed, and you have to defend yourself,” he said. “The movie made $375 million worldwide, and THE PERFECT STORM made $325 million. Also, GODZILLA made a billion dollars in merchandise. Sony Pictures was happy with what they got. They knew that because of the media reception, they couldn’t do a GODZILLA 2. I told them not to do a sequel… because when you have a hit like INDEPENDENCE DAY, people want to see you fall.”

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

“Now, I gotta warn you about this one...this one...this one—it aint normal, okay?”

*reveals the head*

HOONNK!

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 11, 2019

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Watching Hedorah tonight and, boy, that shot of Godzilla propelling himself...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

^^^^^^ was the ruin in the pacific or atlantic? If pacific it could be lemuria, which is brought up in older movies.

I’ve always assumed that the universe where kaiju exist is one where a lot of psuedo-science is also more viable. The unreality of Moby Dick is characterized further in the book by suggestions that the whale can travel through underwater tunnels that allow it to pop up in many places far apart from each other. Like the kaiju are allegories, the ocean/the deep earth is the subconsciousness these things rise out of, and like the hollow tunnels, things connect beneath that water in ways we don’t clearly know.

From wikipedia:

‘Monster derives from the Latin monstrum, itself derived ultimately from the verb moneo ("to remind, warn, instruct, or foretell"), and denotes anything "strange or singular, contrary to the usual course of nature, by which the gods give notice of evil," "a strange, unnatural, hideous person, animal, or thing," or any "monstrous or unusual thing, circumstance, or adventure."’

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 15, 2019