Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Scyantific posted:

I mean just look at the SIZE of this motherfucker jfc :stare:

Never have I wanted to see a movie in IMAX more than when I saw this. Holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
This is probably a good a place as any to ask this. When I was a kid, (in the UK) they showed an all night Kaiju marathon that was presented as a sports event, with one on one matchups, commentators calling the fights and presenters in the studio analysing the action. It ended with Godzilla fighting Kong in the main event. The fight ended in the water, and Kong won (Which was loving bullshit by the way, he was fighting Godzilla in the WATER!). Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? I'd love to watch it again.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Burkion posted:

Are you asking about the movie or the TV event itself

The TV event itself, ideally.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Szmitten posted:

BBC2 Monster Night. Had a documentary about Godzilla, interludes with Bill Bailey and Phil Jupitus with those bets, concluded with a midnight airing of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah '91. I recorded most of it on VHS but that's gone now. Someone preserved the documentary and I have a digital copy of that, but look around Youtube, maybe archive.org, or other places.

They had a similar night for Doctor Who which I had also recorded and lost.

edit: let's be specific
https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/92b0364341c847ffaab395dc9973443f
edit2: This guy has 4 intervals and the whole documentary in 4 parts: youtube.com/user/zillastyledotcom

That's it! Thanks so much for this. This was probably the first real exposure to Godzilla movies for me, and it blew my 12 year old mind.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Not sure if this has been mentioned, and could be bullshit obviously, but there's a theory going around that Charles Dance is playing Tom Hiddlestons character from Skull Island

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
What I love about how massive, and loving terrifying, Ghidorah is, is that it genuinely makes me want to see Godzilla kick his rear end. It's like 101 pro wrestling booking, the plucky babyface who picks a fight with the nastiest prick in the room to prove what a badass he is.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Just occurred to me that this is more or less going to be Rocky 3 with giant monsters.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
2014 Godzilla I could see it being a contest if Kong had a growth spurt. But this Godzilla? My only guess is that they give Kong some weaponry, preferably a pair of 200 ft assault rifles. Otherwise he's getting his loving rear end kicked.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kong gets a mech suit ala Batman V Superman. Then they team up over Mothra and fight Destroyah/Doomsday

Godzilla: WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME!!!

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I really don't get why the critics have panned this film. Do they not know what a good Godzilla film is? Because I thought this was one. I enjoyed it, I don't really think it has a slow component, and there is plenty of kaiju monster action which was awesome.

These two statements are allowed to coexist. Don't get so invested in what people say about a film you like, or assume that they're wrong because they disagree with you. I've never understood why people do that.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

The Notorious ZSB posted:

So uhh I don't care? But I am really struggling to see why it's getting such a poor critical reception when the fan impressions seem the opposite? It's a really wide gap which just seems weird to me is all.

I would tell anyone to go see this film, if you like Godzilla, I think you'll like this movie.

Very much agree with you Mr Funny Pants about Shin, it is excellent as both a regular film and a Godzilla film. Maybe my bar is low for summer schlock, but I just didn't feel like this was a "bad movie" even taking away my enjoyment of Godzilla in particular.

Fans are biased. It's not a great film if you have no pavlovian attachment to seeing Godzilla on screen. Same way I'll see any old poo poo if it has a Marvel superhero in it.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Roland Jones posted:

You're trying to say, "No, my opinion is the correct one," without making it obvious, and it's not working.

No I wasn't. Reading is hard though, I get it.