Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Do not show your Godzilla-crazed five year old the trailer to a new Godzilla movie that neither he nor his dad even knew was coming right before bedtime.

"Oh my god!"
"Daddy, how he get so gigantic?"
"What did they do to him?"
"I think he bigger than 2014 Godzilla!"

The most critical issue of course:

"I want to see his [new] atomic breath."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Clipperton posted:

You only thought that because you weren't paying attention, if you'd watched the movie properly you would have realised it was in fact extremely boring

I can't believe Gareth Edwards didn't say at some point, "Dude, are you awake? You can emote, I won't get angry."

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Godzilla '14 and Age of Ultron should definitely be enough to get this dude barred from acting

Compared to Godzilla, he was a loving spitfire in Age of Ultron.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Zenephant posted:

I don't really care about Godzilla but this seems like a film that writes itself- whatever Godzilla normally does with some Fukushima allusions thrown in for a modern nuclear message.

Funny thing is, the atomic bomb actually killed a lot of Japanese people. Fukushima hasn't.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Tekne posted:

Particle beamatomic breath in action.

My Godzilla-crazed five year old has been desperate to see the new atomic breath. I showed that to him and his reaction was, "Whoa, his atomic breath shoot 100 miles!" :)

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I just checked Fandango and it's playing at a theater that's about ten minutes from my house. I told my five year old Godzilla nut and he literally hopped up and down. :)

And then I had to break it to him that he's not going to be able to know what the characters were saying because he can't read the subtitles. But he says he's still good to go.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

This looks like it might be a wee bit horrifying for a little kid, but I dunno.

Is it substantially more horrifying than any other Godzilla movies? He had no trouble with 2014 or half a dozen or more of the older ones. He's seen all of the trailers and was giddy about them. Loves Pacific Rim too.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Hat Thoughts posted:

There's the reverse problem now though, stuff like Seinfeld and Malcolm in the Middle airing in wide-screen despite it being designed for a different ratio.

And The Simpsons. One of my all time favorite sight gags is literally eliminated by going widescreen. The characters stand there silently; if you hadn't ever seen it, you'd think the editors screwed up and left a few seconds of the equivalent of dead air.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

Which joke homie, don't pull that

poo poo, sorry. It was when Homer and Barney do the tour of the Duff brewery. The guide points to three tanks right next to each other, each with a different flavor of Duff. The camera pulls back enough to reveal that one pipe is supplying all of the tanks, so it's just bullshit marketing. In widescreen, the top is cut off so you don't see the single pipe. It's just like the guy says his setup, then Homer and the others just stand there staring.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Got to watch it last night in less than ideal circumstances. A friend reviews movies for a small website and was given access to a screener online. Despite all of the issues, and there were many, I really liked it. My son liked it too except for the end he was very angry that Godzilla "died", even though this was a "bad" Godzilla. The first third or so really hammers at the Fukushima and Tepco angle, not to mention questioning Japan's rigid adherence to titles and formal hierarchies.

This director, like Gareth Edwards, understands that if you want people to be awestruck by something big, the best way to do it is to either be very low and close looking up, or pulled very far back so that you can see the monster's size in relation to the carnage it has caused. There's a ton of shots where Godzilla takes up a tiny portion of the screen, but he is the head of a massive trail of burning ruins that underlines the damage he is doing.

The movie does have a lot of bureaucratic scenes yet without (mostly) the hilariously goofy science of most Godzilla movies. If the movie can be divided into three major attack sequences with politicians and scientists doing their thing in between, the gap between the second and third does drag a bit.

The effects are top notch, no-apology-necessary stuff.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

KiteAuraan posted:

I'd hope Anno has the hang of that, even given the differences between anime and live action, considering he's been directing giant robot and monster poo poo since 1988 (and doing some of the animation for the Giant Warrior in Nausicaa).

If you hadn't figured it out, I've never seen any of his other stuff. :)

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Pyswagoras posted:

Do I see hooves and claws on those feet?

The face has a mountain lion feel too. Crazy design. Not necessarily bad, but crazy.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Verisimilidude posted:

I like how visceral this movie is. When Godzilla first shows up as a weird hosed up lesser-evolved Godzilla it elicited a response of "what the gently caress?" from the audience. Later on when it started barfing fire, the reaction was as you'd expect, but when it focuses into a loving laser beam the reaction went from "yeah!" to "holy poo poo..." and everyone in the theater got really silent. You expect Godzilla to be powerful, but that was when Godzilla became more than just a fire-breathing monster.

When that happened, my six year old didn't think it was Godzilla. "What is that?!" He wondered if Godzilla was going to fight that weird thing. But then he noticed the spikes.... :) .

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Spatulater bro! posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone been to a US showing of this that wasn't sold out?

Mine was only about half full. 7:30 showing on Thursday night.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

Because they already announced Godzilla vs Kong for 2020, and both movies feature the government agency Monarch. They've been pretty explicit about them being related series.

There was also a poster they put out that showed some poo poo if you put a black light on it. In particular, some prose about a monster from Sumerian mythology called Humbaba. Check out his Wiki, could be one crazy movie monster.

http://moviepilot.com/p/new-kong-skull-island-poster-is-hiding-some-godzilla-sized-secrets/4121811

In other news, I feel so stupid for missing something. Obviously Shin Godzilla took lots of cues from the Fukushima disaster. But I was watching an episode about it on Engineering Disasters today and totally forgot that one of the ways they cooled the reactors was to pump water in using super long-armed concrete pumps. Same exact ones used to pump the coagulant into SG. Derp.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You kid, but I'd love one of those.

Actually, no, I'd love a plush toy of the first form that has a little motor inside it that you can turn on to let it flop around. It'd be adorable and I'd buy ten.

My wife and I have been trying to get one for my son for Christmas and it's a bitch. We did manage to snag a final form Bandai.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Bimmi posted:

I personally don't like it when they make Kong too big (and outside of the original, they always do.)

Peter Jackson's was only a foot taller than the original at its biggest scale (he was different sizes on Skull Island and New York). And obviously smaller than the 70s and Godzilla versions.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

(Forgive me if this was dealt with earlier)

I set up a Japanese PSN account last night and downloaded the Shin Godzilla VR tech demo for the PSVR.

Holy poo poo.

It's really short, not even two minutes, but it's fantastic. You are a victim stuck in the rubble, so you can't move or do anything, you can only turn your head and look around. You look to your left at the start and Godzilla's tail swings right over your head. Then you see him emerge from behind a building that is between you and him. It looks like he's going to just keep going but then he slowly turns and comes in your direction. They really nailed the sense of scale. I'm a bit embarrassed to say it, but as he bore down on me, I actually leaned back into my seat a bit. It's really cool.

Here's the (obviously) non-VR video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-dqHHrzawo

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

There's just something so scary to me about giant monsters. Little monsters, or like, 8 foot ones you could probably lock up somewhere or have a shot at killing them.

You're completely helpless with something that huge.

One of my lifelong recurring nightmares is some kind of giant monster bearing down on me and the feeling that no matter how small I am, he is looking right at me.

I've also always found Goya's The Colossus deeply unsettling.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Not a huge shock, but there is a post credits scene after Skull Island that teases Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah, including a cave painting that shows ancient Godzilla battling KG.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Burkion posted:

Pretty sure That's just regular old Godzilla. Dude's been alive for goddamn ever. Super stoked to have Ghidorah be brought up already though did not expect that yet.

Yep, my apologies, had it in my head that this was an all purpose Godzilla thread.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I assume this will be without an English dub, correct? Obviously I prefer sub-titles but my six year old has seen it twice now without dialog.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

Funimation typically dubs their live-action acquisitions.

Awesome! He's going to be excited.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 5, 2017

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Sucks that I'm going to have to buy the shittiest version of the BR due to the dub (for my son). Double dipping for the bare bones with dub and a loaded version will be close to $100.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Best I could do with all of them. If you see [...] it's because I couldn't make it out or it isn't visible at all.

Splitting the Atom
Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity ultimately leads to the splitting of the atom and the dawn of the atomic age.
This epoch-defining stage in human evolution will act as a beacon that awakens ancient superspecies sustained by nuclear energy.

The U.S.S. Lawton Incident
[...] survivor. Haunted by the memory of that day, Randa will go on to become one of MONARCH's foremost operatives, searching for the truth behind the ancient creatures that exist beneath the surface of our world.

MONARCH Founded
In the aftermath and cover-up of the U.S.S. Lawton incident, President Truman unofficially establishes "MONARCH Unit", A small, off-book research team established to engage in the systematic study of "Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organisms". Privately, many of Truman's allies question the validity of the group's theories and work to keep their existence a secret.

The Great Smog of London
Baffling meteorologists and defying [...] this unexplained weather phenomenon [...] overwhelmed by huge clouds of air-pollution [...] MONARCH theorizes that the beating [...] could have created an anticyclone th[...] pollutants across the city.

Siberian Mystery

Mission: Skull
MONARCH surreptitiously partners with LANDSAT and the 1st Aviation Brigade, 3rd Assault Helicopter Company to mount an expedition to the mythical "Skull Island" in an uncharted corner of the south Pacific. Encountering the god-like superspecies known as Kong, they soon discover that mankind does not belong here.

Isla De Mona
A covert MONARCH team establishes a quarantine zone around the island's dormant volcano, under the guise of "environmental research". Over the coming years, what began as a small scientific outpost will expand to become a full containment facility around the mouth of the volcano.

Return to Skull Island
MONARCH security officer Aaron Brooks d[...] his father Houston Brooks and leads an off-the-books mission to Skull Island, to determine what has become of Kong since the 1973 expedition.

Janjira [...]
(graphic says "Janjira, Japan", this is the incident that killed Walter White's wife in Godzilla)

A Mysterious Mercenary(?)

Temple of the Moth
Mythographic Studies of Chinese temples leads MONARCH to the high-altitude jungles of the Yunnan province. Dr. Emma Russell and her team follow a mysterious bio-acoustic signature to a previously undiscovered megalithic temple, within which lies a gigantic cocoon. A quickening heartbeat is detected inside.

Message in a Bottle

The Battle of San Francisco
The existence of giant superspecies is revealed to the world as Godzilla clashes with two M.U.T.O.S in the center of San Francisco, unleashing devastation upon the urban center, the world watches as Godzilla defends our world and restores balance to the natural order. The time has come for MONARCH to step ouf of the shadows.

Monster Zero
When MONARCH discover an extraordinary superspecies sealed beneath the Antarctic ice sheet. Dr. Vivienne Graham leads hte effort to build a covert containment and research facility around the dormant creature. Her classified field notes contain a mysterious footnote: "The devil has three heads."

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 13, 2017

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

One thing I'm dreading about Godzilla VS Kong is hearing lots of people say "verse" instead of "versus." Fuckers.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I'll take that over verse.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

My daughter sometimes asks me to verse her in Mario Kart. :doh:

She's young, she can still be saved.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

:golfclap:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Regular monsters tore him up, hell even machine gun fire hurt him. Full grown will just mean bigger I don't see how that ends well for Kong given Big G literally atomic breathed one of the Mutos into a smokey pile (which was def one of the best scenes in that film).

Kong will be much much faster and more agile than G. Smarter too. The MUTO fights were pretty much sumo shoving matches, Kong can punch OH GOD I'M AN ADULT I HAVE TO STOP NOW.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Wizchine posted:

When you have 3 monsters literally chewing scenery, do you really need your lead actor chewing scenery, too? I thought he did a fine job.

Because the only two choices were, "Chew the scenery," or, "Be almost completely devoid of any emotion." Dude wasn't underplaying or being subtle, he was blank.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I'm going to put my 7 year old's browser in his iPad on the Monarch Sciences page and not say anything to him. Can't wait to watch him in the morning. The Godzilla tracker will blow him away.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The recording made me want to see the teaser for 2014 again. I know I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said a thousand times, but goddamn if that isn't one of the most perfect trailers I've ever seen.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I'm stupid, mixed up the HALO with the teaser. But the actual teaser is really great too.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The Cameo posted:

There’s definitely no block on making more Japanese Godzilla movies; Anno just wants to finish his Rebuild of Eva series, which won’t be until 2020 according to a teaser that played in front of the new Hosoda film Mirai, and Toho wants to be developing new films immediately - he was probably approached, he informed them of what he’s doing for the next few years, and they went “well, okay then” and announced their intent to make Godzilla films without him starting with one they want out in 2021 and something every other year from that point on.

Basically the double whammy of Legendary’s US Godzilla and Shin got Toho all worked up about making Godzilla movies again, but they’re chasing the cinematic universe pot of gold.

So what was posted earlier, from the co-director of Shin, was wrong?

quote:

Shin Godzilla co-director Shinji Higuchi made crystal clear sense of the deal during his Q&A at G-Fest XXIV over the weekend, bumming out the entire crowd when he revealed that the parntership with Legendary means that Toho can’t make another Godzilla film until AFTER 2020.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

I thought he was fine. He kept things moving and had his good moments. I don't want anyone taking attention away from the monsters by being over the top.

There's a middle ground between "over the top" and "blank to the point of invisibility."

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

JBP posted:

The character is pretty boring due to being grounded or whatever you'd want to call it, which is fine. I don't want him riding around on Godzilla's back dual wielding drum fed rocket launchers or whatever.

I think I'm repeating myself but there's a middle ground between blank and dual wielding rocket launchers on Godzilla's back.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Timby posted:

All I want is for King Ghidorah to be appropriately huge and to tower Godzilla. And given how tall Godzilla's 2014 design is, the King had better be loving massive.

Are you referring to that poster? That's for the anime. As for KG in the next movie:

Monarch Sciences posted:

At a Monarch containment facility deep in the frozen tundra of Antarctica, a three-headed winged serpent of ancient yet unknown origin lies frozen within a glacial tomb of ice. This is without question the largest superspecies ever discovered, easily dwarfing Godzilla at a height of over five-hundred feet tall.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Cythereal posted:

Coupled with the actress playing the ecoterrorist lady's actress saying that her character is a Monarch scientist who's built a device that lets her communicate with the kaiju, her stated motives of wanting to restore the natural order of the world,

I was under the impression that she was abducted by the eco-terrorists and forced to make the statement in the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

RichterIX posted:

NECA Godzilla stuff showed up at my Target, they had Shin Godzilla and the "glowing" Godzilla from Destroyah. Just in case someone wants to waste money like me.

Mine as well. Makes me wonder if they bought out Toys R Us' inventory.