Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Goddamnit,no showtimes in Calgary. I am a sad. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Still nothing for Calgary,Goddammit.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

bimmi may have made some valid points but i'll probably never know because i tuned out when he badmouthed Ultraman and Ray Harryhausen in the same sentence

what the gently caress dude

Indeed,both of those things are cool and good.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Bimmi posted:

Ultraman I will not defend. Loved that poo poo as a kid, but try to tell me with a straight face that all those Ultra monsters aren't silly as hell.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just got out of seeing the 7PM (local time) screening at the Eau Claire Market Cinemax. I overall really enjoyed it. I went from hating the human cast (like in '14) to wanting to know more about them. Like that weird girl on the research team,she didn't get fleshed out at all.

As for Godzilla himself,I thought it was really well executed. Of course,there were a couple of parts I found kinda goofy:The part where they're like " Godzilla has reached his fourth form." totally almost made me expect Goku to show up or something. I also noticed that most of the soundtrack is recycled from either other Godzilla movies,or Evangelion. How many times did they play "Decisive Battle'? It seemed like they played it a whole buncha times. I think I'll be able to provide some more detailed thoughts after I get some sleep.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This owns, though. Also when he uses his atomic breath to fly after hedorah

Here.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Burkion posted:

Others have already brought up the reasons why Revenge is not the worst- it's even hard to rate it as a Godzilla film all things considered, but not in the same respects as G'98- but it does stand to be repeated.

Revenge is nowhere near the worst.

The worst is either Megalon, which is only redeemed through just how campy it is and the car salesman that is Jet Jaguar, or Space Godzilla.

Space Godzilla has an interesting idea of the evil twin, and has a penguin robot that is the out of loving nowhere revival of one of the golden age Toho films that never got lumped in with the others, but is otherwise a total write off. Made all the worse is the fact that it was the 40th anniversary movie.

The effects were cheap, the Godzilla suit was literally falling apart and torn to shreds, and the fight scene that lasts a good third of the movie is boring and slow as poo poo. A complete wash of a movie.

Hey,at least we got Destroyah outta it. I mean,I personally thought it was a pretty good way to end the legacy. Until those dumb Americans hosed it up and they had to keep making films. But at least we got Final Wars outta that mess.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

You don't want him to throw his poop. No really,you don't.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Now,part of me is imagining the VS movie to be similar to a Pro Wrestling match-John Goodman and Dr.Serizawa both serving as Kong and G's managers,respectively. Then again,Godzilla movies (or at least some of the Japanese ones) are similar to Wrassling in a few ways. For instance,Gigan is that jobber Heel you can't help but feel sorry for,Jet Jaguar is the best Face,and the humans are like really annoying fans.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Krazyface posted:

That bug pit scene was just so gnarly. I still think about it all the time.

Yeah,that was of the few scenes in the Jackson film I actually liked. Besides maybe the fish monster in the extended cut.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, Funi will probably record a dub for the movie, which'll hold things up.

And,in the grand Godzilla tradition,will be Godawful as gently caress. Name one good Godzilla dub. That's the thing-one doesn't exist.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

I just found this thing. The ending kills me everytime.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

Actually my understanding is that loving up Rogue One and leading to extensive reshoots where he had to have a babysitter on set killed Legendary's enthusiasm for working with Edwards again, especially given Godzilla's mediocre reception.

Say what you will about Rogue One but at least he didn't try to hide Darth Vader from the audience. :rimshot:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Now I want to track down this artbook. Anyone know a good place to look?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Like he said, you are your own worst critic. I mean, he recently did a point by point rebuttal to the lovely CinemaSins video about Kong

Link?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

lol why would JVR watch a stupid cinemasins video, is he a masochist or something

I'm sure it was a friend of his going "OH HEY LOOK AT THIS HILARIOUS VIDEO BRO" like my first exposure to that poo poo.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

I'd only watch a Pacific Rim-Godzilla crossover if there was a scene where, I dunno, some generic evil human faction sends some kinda stupid Uber-Jaeger after Godzilla. Of course it looks really sleek and generic like all the other NuJeagers. There could even be a bunch of scenes of the villain smugly hyping up this Jeager as some kinda invincible killing machine. Then it goes up against Big G, and he just wrecks it in a short fight, even squishing the pilot to add insult to injury. But of course in reality they'd try to convince the audience these lame-rear end robots can hold their own against G and friends. But yeah, I think the only way a crossover could work is if they push how out of their depth these kids are.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Remember when Kong did that Mortal Kombat fatality and ripped that lizard's guts out? That owned.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I hope each new iteration of Godzilla keeps getting bigger to surpass the previous one.

To the point where we have a Godzilla so huge he has his own gravitational pull. Of course, the only worthy adversary for Planet Godzilla would be something capable of fighting a planet-Unicron.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 19, 2017

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

How much we gotta pay to get Clover in the Verse?

Just you wait. When the Monsterverse inevitably has its Infinity War equivalent and the good monsters (Kong, Godzilla, Mothra and possibly others) all get their asses kicked by the Thanos equivalent (Destroyah? Space Godzilla? Some new Original The Character Kaiju?) Clover suddenly swoops in to save the day.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Nah, it's Virtual Boy. Get on my level. :colbert:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Personally, I'm hoping the rumors aren't true that Destroyah will be teased in this movie. While I'd love to see him get the Legendary treatment, as far as I know (I'm not well acquainted with the old Japanese Godzillas) Destroyah means a movie even more bleak and grim than G14.

I think I'd rather see a Legendary version of Hedorah or Biollante next.

I personally would want to see Megalon, but only if he gets to have a buddy picture with Gigan. Failing that, I'd like to see a more modern version of Ebirah. Of course he'd only work if they turn him into a giant Pistol Shrimp/Mantis Shrimp because that way he'd have the kinda crazy upgrade you'd expect from a Legendary monster.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Shin Godzilla milieu seems to be "utterly mundane current world but with an awakened Lovecraftian Great Old One running amok" and it'd be really really difficult to introduce MechaGodzilla into that without changing it too much and having to skip ahead a few decades in technologic advancements or introduce crazy alien tech. We couldn't even build anything like the Gotengo using current technology and MechaGodzilla is quite a few steps beyond that. But a story about dozens of layers of Japanese bureaucracy working together to develop a Godzilla-fighting machine would be pretty wonderful. :allears:

So the movie "Pentagon Wars" but with a giant robot? I'd pay to see that.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

K. Waste posted:

Less is more. Having lots of giant monsters doing lots of giant monster things is gonna turn out to be this genre's version of superhero quips.

But unlike "witty" quips, giant monster fights would be actually fun.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like the chanting.

:same:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

There are some new Youtube reviews of KOTM and a few are a bit lukewarm so I'm dialing down my expectations a bit. This fits a pattern with new movies. The hype is often choreographed by "fan exclusive" screenings and whatnot. Some geek on Youtube saw it last week and was like Holy poo poo it is amazing, oh yeah and Dougherty is a cool guy I know him personally. Signs of.mixed reactions seep out very shortly before release after months of calculated hype

Spoiler tagged this because ppl should go in with whatever preconceived notions they prefer
I'm probably gonna go see this regardless, but what were the general complaints? My general knowledge of YouTubers indicates that they often make criticisms in bad faith/complain about really petty things.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

So, because nobody's cited the criticisms in the early reviews, I did some digging-one common complaint is apparently "there's too many monsters and too much monster fighting." If I had money to bet (which I currently don't :( ) I'd bet that these same critics probably complained about Godzilla'14 not having enough monster fighting. So grain of salt.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Just told my eight year old this. He replied, "Oh, this is going to be an awesome movie."

Your eight year old has good taste. :golfclap:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

So, a friend of mine (who seems to enjoy being the group's contrarian) sent me this video review,and,instead of discouraging me like he hoped, it made me laugh my rear end off. To me the guy almost came off as passive-aggressive at the end. Basically goes "If you want a deep,complex story watch the :japan: Godzilla movies, but if you just want to watch monsters fighting then you'd probably like this you plebeian. :smug:"

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 30, 2019

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

There’s also not a Mountain Dew-kajiu.

Now I want a future Monsterverse movie to have Mechagodzilla but it's covered in corporate logos because that was the only way Monarch/G-Force/whatever was able to afford a robot Godzilla.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

SD87 posted:

I thought the 2014 godzilla was a pretty good movie but i left the theatre about an hour into this one. They really dumbed it down in an obvious way

Peacoffee posted:

With how much movies cost it astounds me people pay to go and then walk out at all. Like I get having to piss during a movie every once in awhile because that’s how it goes. Falling asleep or going to get food though seems like it’s at odds with caring enough to have an opinion at all.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Who's the Danny Devito analogue?

Probably Rodan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

garycoleisgod posted:

This picture suggests to me that the real reason Monster Zero here is the villain and Godzilla the hero is that Godzilla doesn't skip leg day!

Look at those twigs he's standing on, get squatting Ghidorah!

This movie was...fine I guess? Not a patch on Godzilla '14 or Kong: Skull Island. Shin Godzilla also shits all over it. I have to ask a question about human plots in films like this. Are they really necessary? Would people wander out of the movie saying "Eh it was ok, but instead of being 100% monster action, I wish there had been some stupid plot about humans trying to save the world by destroying it."

Just once I would like somebody to try to make a movie like this and completely ignore the urge to put in human plots that are required by four quadrant marketing or whatever. I'm pretty convinced it wouldn't hurt the film or it's box office at all.

But having a movie just from the monsters' POV would mean taking a risk and if there's anything Hollywood hates, it's taking risks.