Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

BattleTech posted:

it also comes real close to being hilariously xenophobic, with all countries not Japan being portayed as selfcentered and/or trying to bully the small country of Japan into them giving control(?) of Godzilla.

Not really? They ultimately take an official stance of sacrificing Tokyo for international safety, which is cynical but not unrealistic, especially compared to the internal justification that it'll get the economy to rebound more quickly. The Yaguchi Plan garnered a large amount of international support, and wouldn't have succeeded without it. Heck, the opening of that sequence is almost entirely American drone strikes.

e: Anyway, good movie. I was actually surprised since even going in optimistically, I expected the bureaucratic scenes to drag somewhat, but that never happened. There's actually quite a lot of low-key humor, especially up through Godzilla going upright.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like, Fate/zero has a lot of stuff that's exactly what I want out of anime Godzilla, but I can basically guarantee that stuff was Nasu and not Urobuchi;

Neither nasu or urobuchi were in major positions on zero the show besides the latter writing the source material. Same goes for nasu on all shows (besides the currently airing one where he wrote the first draft of the script) besides coming up with requested extra material sometimes.