Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

Maybe this is colored weird because I've recently been marathoning the Heisei movies, but the human bits are an absolutely necessary break from constant monster fighting. It's all really goofy 80s/90s action comedy stuff, but it keeps the fights from getting monotonous and are usually genuinely funny or charming. It's not like the human bits are "deeper" than the monster bits, but they're definitely a part of the whole experience. Watching Godzilla without the humans would be like ignoring the comedy in Last Action Hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

It's funny, I'd say the Heisei period has oddly both some of the best and the worst human plots. For every time traveling android or hatching of baby dinosaurs, there's scene after scene of dudes just sitting in a control room not really doing anything and being all out of ideas.

The Battle for Earth and Ghidorah are amazing. To a lesser extent Biollante is good especially if you can find Japanese attempts to direct "foreigners" funny. Mechagodzilla 2 and Space Godzilla were just amazingly boring though for some reason. They really needed to throw in like a crystal alien person or a space chimp into those movies. I have not yet got to Destroyah in my rewatch though.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Iirc didn't it come out a few years ago that 98 was pitched as a much more traditional Godzilla movie, but toho refused to let them either use any of the classic monsters or create new ones?
Kinda? Toho would allow them to use old monsters but were demanding a very high extra licensing fee for them, and Tri-Star was unwilling to pay either that or the cost to develop a new monster. So both companies worked together to gently caress up the movie.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

It seemed about as nationalist as Independence Day. Lip service to international cooperation but you always know who the "real" heroes are.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh yeah, he really hosed up Rogue One with its billion dollar gross.
You're being willfully dense. The claimed fuckup was something that was corrected before release hence the "re-shoots". Though I haven't heard any credible rumors of re-shoots it's better form to just tell him the re-shoots didn't happen.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

K. Waste posted:

That's because rumors are by their very nature hyperbolic hearsay running around an industry which is notoriously self-conscious. It turns out there were extensive 're-shoots,' but that it doesn't matter because the film is really good.

Except it kinda does matter. If the re-shoots are major enough that it's primarily the editor and producers efforts making the film good, what's the point in the director. If they need to be babied they're bad at their job. Now as far as I know this isn't the case here but it has been the case in a lot of other productions where a director is given too much slack.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

I'd enjoy an option that subtitles the japanese dialog and dubs over the english.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

But the horrible English is half the fun.
Hence wanting that to be an option not the only sound system. I mean if I really had my way we'd also have a version that does terrible American English dub over the Japanese and terrible Japanese acted English for the English.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

ElCondemn posted:

Seems like you're confirming that theory, they did a survey of internet users and they don't like the prequels. The only data I can go on is the box office numbers and the prequels did as well as or better than the originals, so it doesn't make sense to me that the reviews match up with reality.
That's not true at all. They got more money because ticket prices have massively inflated by the original Star Wars had by far the highest number of actual tickets sold. Then comes the Force Awakens, then Empire Strikes Back, then Return of the Jedi, then Episode 1.

edit: hosed up something.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 11, 2017

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

ElCondemn posted:

Not according to box office mojo which has options to adjust for date and total tickets sold.
I was Iooking at box office mojo and the all time box office sales number gives different numbers than the screenshots by Snowglob of Doom. Regardless those show episodes 4 and 7 being by far the most popular and episodes 2 and 3 falling behind even a spin off movie. They were bad movies sorry to burst your CineD bubble.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

Well it ended up giving them more profitable movies, so you know no harm no foul.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah the plan to have a Godzilla/Kong shared universe meant that Kong had to be massively upscaled which had a whole series of knock on effects on things like how he would interact with humans and what could possibly oppose him. There's just no way he could have a final confrontation against the '33 biplanes or even the '76 attack helicopters. I doubt this modern Kong could even climb a skyscraper without toppling it just from his weight.

Here's a wacky size comparison graph of the various Kongs:

(Note that the Empire State building is not at all to scale on the graph.)

DLC Inc posted:

I don't understand how Kong+Godzilla+Jaegers can all exist when King Kong is substantially smaller than the rest. Did they make him bigger in the Skull Island movie?
And the still growing thing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

I think the body paint had less to do with written instructions and a whole lot more with camouflage as everything on the island including the human natives seeks to blend in with its surroundings to avoid being eaten by something bigger. The only creatures that don't try to blend in are Kong and the Skulleaters because they're at the top of this hierarchy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

sponges posted:

What is the worst Godzilla movie?
Space Godzilla

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

Given how much more worthless explaining there is in normal Fate compared to Zero I can't say you're really right about that. Cause that series, at least in anime form, manages to kill every single possible joke and good action beat by explaining it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

Burkion posted:

I can say that is because it's based on the most boring route from the first visual novel.

The other routes go a lot heavier on the insane poo poo, and Gen has shown a predilection to the exposition that plagued the Anime Godzilla movie
Unlimited bladeworks is the most boring route in the visual novel too?

I hadn't really seen it as that bad in Psycho Pass or Madoka but that might have been co-writers reigning him in.

Burkion posted:

Also Fate Zero was not an adaptation of a visual novel, which by their nature are super explaining poo poo heavy
That really shouldn't be an excuse.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

It was. I was amazed that UBW was somehow worse.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

I'm sorry that I don't like the Star Trek Voyager of anime.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Stealth Attack on Titan prequel?
I'm pretty sure the stealth Attack on Titan prequel is actually Man in the High Castle.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

I imagine it'd be like if smurfs paid a normal human to smash up other smurfs and then they get stopped by a normal sized alligator. Maybe the smurfs have like gold or something. Maybe like Gigan's society finds the nickel that makes up the moon super valuable.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

How theoretically impressive something is by in universe rules doesn't matter. All that matters is how it is presented to the audience. It was lame.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

Said like a man who didn't like ninja batman.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The only Eva works I'm aware of that didn't involve Anno are garbage, so no, probably not.

(Mostly thinking of the manga.)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

I missed Michael Bay in there. Thought it was a joke about the Simpsons post Groening stepping away, and Metal Gear after Kojima left.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

In the Heisei Ghidorah movie Godzilla has a little heart to heart moment with the business guy and then destroys the building anyways.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

Davros1 posted:

I equate it with the Bay Transformers series. Bay revels in filming so much action/destruction that it all becomes so boring as the film goes on. Godzilla 14 did it right by keeping the scenes to a minimum.
You say this as though Kong Skull Island didn't exist or wasn't boss as gently caress.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

I really don't think monster scenes need to be a way larger portion, after all Biollante is my favorite Godzilla movies, but just as a counter point to the idea that they for some reason need to be kept to a minimum.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

You also have a whole island of interesting monsters that non-verbally let you know exactly the sort of world Kong comes from. One where everything except Kong and the Skull Crawlers have to use camouflage because of how completely those two groups dominate the ecosystem.

Though I guess I'm just down for more creature feature and environmental storytelling whenever possible, even if it isn't all that giant or specifically the headlining characters.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

The big problem was that Disney had already snatched up all the talented young white male actors for their Marvel movies and for some reason Godzilla '14 decided to drop to sub-par young white guy actors instead of choosing to cave and change age, race, or gender.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

K. Waste posted:

Cranston is not a better actor than Taylor-Johnson, people just like him more. All he's doing is amping himself up to the point of histrionic exasperation and yelling. Meanwhile, nobody cites the opening where he forgets his own birthday as emblematic of his acting ability, because nobody actually cares.

By extension, folks describe Taylor-Johnson's performance as "emotionless" or "blank" because there's no authentic interest in what the motivation behind the performance is. The character is distant because it's an extension of his unique relationship to a traumatic moment that he and his father shared. Whereas Joe saw his wife die, Ford saw his parents die from a distance. Whereas Joe responds to this trauma with obsession in uncovering the truth, Ford responds with denial. Joe even literally tells his son that he's in denial. Whereas Joe makes it his life's mission to try to either expose (at the very least to his son) the complacency and falsehood that destroyed their family, Ford submits himself entirely to the social apparatus and becomes a soldier, more or less disowning his father. He is not emotionless or blank - his emotion is resignation to a sense of duty, which is very well expressed in the scene where he has his last phone call with Elle. This is the sort of motivation beat that folks find "disposable," the one where he actually undergoes a significant change from just trying to get back to his wife and kid, to accepting that he has to prematurely let them go.

And, yeah, the part where the kid he saves just finds his parents again without his help and he's left on the fringes. This is, of course, a parallel to the scene in the first act of the film where he watches the conservative Japanese parents bailing their punk teenager out of jail. There is a persistent motif of the family (specifically the "nuclear" family) that is running throughout the film, which directly informs the characters' motivations, but which is simply being developed primarily through visuals, with Ford as this thankless observer isolated or alienated from interpersonal relationships.

The fetishization of Cranston's histrionics also inevitably leads to this projection that Ford just "happens to be there," when the film is actually very straightforward about how the decision (spurred by Elle) to try to salvage his relationship with his father leads him directly back to San Francisco, where he helps Godzilla destroy the MUTOs. He doesn't just "happen" to be in Hawaii when the monsters make landfall. He's been put there by the military for a commercial flight back to his family. He doesn't just "happen" to be on the military transport team that is preyed upon by the nuke-eating MUTOs. He volunteers.
Much like the common defenses of the Star Wars prequels. I'll acknowledge that all of that is there, but just because there is a reason and there is subtext does not mean it was delivered well. In the case of both Taylor in Godzilla 2014 and most of the cast in the Star Wars prequels they just weren't good. Now I don't know if the problem was that Taylor-Johnson was untalented or if he was just handed a bad script or was direct poorly or whatever, but scenes focusing on his human to human interactions tended to be the worst in the movie. His facial acting was excellent for selling scenes that were just him and the environment or him and the monsters but his interactions with other humans just kinda fell flat.

I'm not really sure what I'd change with the movie because I have no idea where things went wrong and I'm not sure how to articulate why the human human interactions involving Taylor fell completely flat for me. I mean I'm not one of the people who thinks Cranston replacing him would have saved the movie, but Cranston's earlier human human scenes were better at selling the emotion they were working for. Which is why I think people assume just replacing Taylor-Johnson with Cranston would improve the movie, even if it probably would have made no goddamn sense and would have been just as flat. After all I get why on the page all of the current scenes that I don't think work are there and I understand how they're supposed to work, but they just don't land for me and don't land for a lot of people.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

Honestly it's a movie, of course the main character is going to be near the action. Specifically in a movie and a series held together by big emotions and dumb bullshit as Godzilla I don't think getting nitpicky about coincidence is going to bode well.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

You're thinking of Anne Hathaway in Colossal. Easy mistake to make, all white women look a like.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Unfortunately the Godzilla anime was still anime, and goddamn if anime isn't at this point at least 50% ways to save money by having boring dialogue scenes whenever possible.
Anime, as stuff full of exposition filler as AAA video games are full of repetitive sidequest filler.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

Even so western cartoons have development cycles that don't necessitate the sort of 100 hour work week crunch periods that characterize both anime development and AA video game development. If you've been up for 20 continuous hours you're not going to put much effort into either animation or quest design.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

thats not an anime problem, but a broad animation problem. it's really cheap to just have people standing around talking no matter where you are in the world

i am a biased observer tho, my favorite anime (and tv show in general) is literally all people standing around talking until the last 2 episodes
Do people start stop talking in the last two episodes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes? I'm only 40 episodes in.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

my favorite anime is serial experiments lain, not LOGH. my avatar is lain and everything
I was just making a joke using the only talkie anime that I've watched that was good, though I haven't seen lain.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

I thought the Indiana Jones rip-off guy was kinda funny, for just genuinely being a loser.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

98 also just wasn't fun to watch in general.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

I always saw at least early digimon as animism but applied to computer stuff instead of the physical world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

There were plenty of good actors in the show, they were all just previously famous and died in previous seasons.