Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

I identify with Godzilla :colbert:
I want to watch a movie where you fight a dude that identifies with King Kong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

EVAzilla owns.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Can't wait until it takes Funimation three years to put a blu-ray release out!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

True.

I'm still just a little salty on how long the Rebuild 3.33 blu rays took. :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ElNarez posted:

whatever happens, this specific track from the soundtrack is maybe the most hilarious thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0DayCP5Q60
Rebuild 4's OST sounds like it is coming along nicely.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'll give it a chance, though Urobuchi has yet to be involved with anything I've ended up liking.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RBX posted:

Nothing in NC, we always get the shaft
To be fair we don't deserve anything other than mockery and contempt.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

When I was a kid I wanted to be Godzilla when I grew up. Did anyone else feel that way?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

lol, did Anno use the same music guy at least or did he ask some poor guy to remix the song
Yeah he brought Shiro Sagisu back from Eva to work on the OST for this film.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

My showing last night was about a third full which is honestly more people than I was expecting.
I saw it on Wednesday but this was basically how my screening went.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I loved the hell out of the movie but every line spoken in English was merely passable at best, and many of them were outright bad.

It doesn't make me hate the movie or anything but it was noticeable. Kind of what I expect from a Japanese film made for a Japanese audience though. Same problem came up with Rebuild 2.22, come to think of it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope you enjoy it. :)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if I really liked this movie should I watch Evangelion? I'm not an anime super fan (clearly, since I've never seen Evangelion), but neither do I have a problem with anime.
Yes you should see it.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Never seen one of his films. Where should I start?
I started with I Was Born, But... and really enjoyed that one. It's a silent though if that's a problem.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Didn't some of those reviews say the film endorsed fascism or something? I can't say I saw that in the movie myself.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I dunno if I think the movie is right-wing (Or perhaps how far to the right I think it is, if we can even apply this kind of binary political divide to a Japanese film). It seems kind of ambivalent to me- I think of the government characters in the beginning for example. They're incompetent when it comes to handling the unimaginable threat of Godzilla, but none of them seem like bad people. They seem to genuinely care about helping as many citizens as they possibly can.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 17, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The paper crane at the bottom is a super dope touch.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm a fan of the people on the tip of the tail reaching toward heaven.
gently caress I hadn't even noticed that. That is also really good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope it makes all of the money.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd imagine Godzilla 2014 also helped to rekindle Western interest in the series.
I wonder if the Criterion release of the original 1954 film a few years before helped too. Also gently caress it I'm using this as an excuse to post its awesome boxart.

Beautiful.

Even better, there's a popup Godzilla in the box. :3:

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 19, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm not quite comfortable saying it was a "Star Wars level phenomenon" simply because I'm not sure how you'd go about measuring that, but it was certainly tremendously successful and influential, and remains one of the most valuable anime marketing properties to this day.
I think the Star Wars comparison is fair in that I do think a lot of Evangelion fans that buy the merchandise, the figures, etc. do not actually like Evangelion as a show or visual work.

Like there are people that utterly despise the episodes my avatar comes from, and are mad that the show didn't end with a typical happy ending that is standard to the genre, that characters succumbed to pressure, that things didn't play out as they expected etc. I suspect it's a lot of the same people that are mad that Shin Godzilla has too much talking.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I haven't seen '98zilla since I was a kid and it seems that its better that way. I somehow doubt it can live up to my memories of the Taco Bell commercials.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaa I wanna watch it agaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Anno indeed owns.

Bit surprised to see Swery popping up here though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

disjoe posted:

I would watch a Shin Godzilla sequel co-written by Swery.

They have to put in the whistling song from Deadly Premonition though.
There should be an extended sequence of Godzilla driving a car and talking to the audience about his favorite American B-movies.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hell yeah!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Burkion posted:

I don't have the best track record with the writer and they've been hiding Godzilla's design pretty hard. Hopefully it'll be good please be good

Yeah I can't say I've liked anything Urobuchi has been involved with myself. I'll still give the movie a chance but I don't exactly have high expectations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope Anno finds a way to work ambiguous musical notation into the title of the Shin Godzilla sequel.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I am completely down for Godzilla vs Macross.
Sounds more like Gargantia to me except with Godzilla instead of squid people.

Please be better than loving Gargantia.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Has this poster been posted yet?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Compared to how long it took them to put out Rebuild of Eva 3.33, this is speedy. :v:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Shin Godzilla is my favorite episode of The West Wing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Got my copy~!
As did I.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that the credits weren't translated. Movie itself still owns and the "Godzilla vs. the Nerds" feature was okay.

I'm morbidly curious about the English dub but haven't checked it out yet.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm also noticing that the Japanese chyrons have been removed and just having the English subtitles on the top of the screen.
Now that I've looked up what the word "chyron" means yeah, I'm pretty sure that was different from what I saw in the theatrical release.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 2, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The Godzilla: Kaiju Planet Figuart has been revealed.

He seems fat.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Where are people getting the Attack on Titan comparisons? It seems way more like Urobuchi recycling ideas from his own Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet to me (Terrible show btw, don't watch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If by anime trilogy you mean any random three episode segment of Singular Point, I agree.