Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I like that they seem to continue with the idea that Godzilla is not the real enemy.

I also like the above suggestion that earlier extinction events are kaiju related, I think there's a good chance they'll make that connection. I can see how smaller events, like the Toba eruption, might be explained by them stirring for a bit before going back to sleep.

I also think that Ghidorah will be the main baddie in the end, and all the other monsters will gang up on him (if nothing else to cut him down to size). Rodan will likely bite it, but Godzilla will rip Ghidorah right the gently caress apart.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Noticed a nice detail on this post-credit scene of Skull Island:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQaDLpqKppE

The cave painting depicting Mothra has a bunch of humans apparently worshipping her, in contrast to humans depicted fighting against Rodan.

Probably my favorite post-credit scene btw.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

I watched G14 again and I realized that the two note victory theme after he decapitates the female MUTO is a call back to Ifukube's original music. Can't believe I missed that.

I'm not really a Godzilla-head but that scene is among my top favorites ever. I love everything about it; from the look of contempt he has as he stares at the lifeless, headless MUTO body, to the way he puts his whole body behind a grade-A roar WHILE HE STILL HOLDS THE HEAD OF THE MUTO. Metal as gently caress, man!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Davros1 posted:

I like when he swings his big ol' butt around to kill the male MUTO

It's the poo poo-eating grin he gives right before it that really brings it home though.

I have to say, the 2014 movie got a lot of flack for lacking in Godzilla goodness, but what's there, is really, REALLY good.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Slutitution posted:

There better be at least one scene of Godzilla loving up the American military in the upcoming film.

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if they add a comment that he is the likely cause for all of those nuclear submarines lost during the Cold War. Him trying to keep them from stirring up aquatic MUTOs, sort of a thing.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Man that is so freaky to watch people blown away (literally) by Rodan's airwake.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

thatbastardken posted:

i mean, those bullets are only going to weigh you down while you're running otherwise.

Off topic and old but I read somewhere that one of the reasons that artillery batteries fired up till the last seconds of WWI was that the more shells they fire, the less they have to pack back home!

Anyways, on topic:

I’m pumped as gently caress for this movie, I just hope they don’t get lazy when it’s time for Godzilla to shine. The killing of the female MUTO in ‘14 is one of my favorite movie moments ever.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I always imagined how the end of ‘14 would be built upon, more specifically the idea that Godzilla was the hero of San Francisco. I feel there’d be a lot of people who would argue that he’s not something to be thankful for.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Burkion posted:

You know there'd be a lot of cult poo poo built around him

For sure. But that would also work both ways.

For some, he’s the Archangel Michael, for others he’s the beast from Revelations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

You know it’s bad when the indestructible charm of John Boyega can’t save your movie.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

So it does look like the mother character releases Ghidorah out of the ice then.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The imagery of the Satan-Ghidorah with the big cross in the foreground is extremely my poo poo. I feel it invokes a Blake painting or something.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

We got an IMAX in Stockholm since a few years back and you bet your kaiju rear end I’ve got a ticket there tonight.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Just saw it. First spoiler free reactions: I understand why this isn’t a reviewer darling, and it certainly has flaws. But it is overall more than enough fun. Some parts gave a titan-esque grin on my face.

2014 movie is technically better, certainly in terms of directing, but this one is probably more fun. It’s balls to the walls crazy at times, so what’s not to love?

There’s a post credit scene btw.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 29, 2019

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Critics who compares this to Transformers are also clinically insane. If nothing else, there’s no icky sexualisation of the female characters in this one. There’s also not a Mountain Dew-kajiu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

To mock me, my regular schmegular Swedish HBO has granted me access to....WW84.

I guess I'll be back in this thread in about 4 months...