Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Thank god they used more than one computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Man, Dogora is not a good movie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Burkion posted:

Oh God why did you watch Dogora

Because I saw this!

https://twitter.com/tokugifs/status/1250385631454408705?s=20

Doesn't that make you want to watch Dogora?

How was I to know that that clip is literally half of the monster's screentime in the whole movie?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Dogora owns because the giant monster is entirely incidental to the zany diamond heist story. Dogora is an aspect of the setting, while the real impressive monster character is the massively entertaining Mark Jackson.

I like the idea of a regular movie taking place during a monster movie. The problem with Dogora is that the diamond movie parts aren't good. And I'm just not as entertained by a white man speaking fluent Japanese as Japanese audiences were in the 60s

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

drat, we are Lethal Weapon!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Every Godzilla movie should have at least one psychic human character

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

*opens blinds*

drat. It's Godzilla.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Anti-Godzilla troops with anti-Godzilla bazookas is the coolest idea ever.

Burkion posted:

You are going to be so goddamn stoked about the Heisei era

If there's lots of psychics and they keep introducing and destroying new Super Xs I am going to be very happy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Just finished Godzilla vs Biollante. It kicks rear end. My one big criticism is that there's not enough Biollante. Biollante is such a great monster design and suit/puppet, I wanted to see it gently caress up a city!

Burkion posted:

You know Miki?

She's the main character. Of all of them. The entire Heisei series is basically her relationship with Godzilla and how they raise a child together.

I am not joking

:yeshaha:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/AMON1972AKUMA/status/1259202184735936512?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

i'm pretty sure that Ultraviolet codes are now just useless series of letters and numbers, so I don't know why it wouldn't be cool to post it here

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Minilla has got to be my least favorite Showa design, I hate him so much. Just a dumb green turd with eyebrows.

He's got big eyes because big eyes are cute, and he has the big brows to give him an open, surprised expression. All that makes sense. But why did they give him an absolute nightmare mouth?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

sports are the ideal thing to play on TVs at bars and restaurants because you can just occasionally glance at them to see the score. But TV shows and movies demand consistent attention.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gonna watch Godzilla vs Kong with an Evazilla popcorn bucket strapped to my head like a feedbag

https://twitter.com/Htop_Gunder/status/1265280254655885312?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/1271596375139127296?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mantis42 posted:

drat this virus. Not for the economic catastrophe it's brought or the lives it's ended, but because it denied me the chance to see a new Godzilla movie this year.

Why not simply take this time to learn Japanese and subtitle the puppet Godzilla content not currently available in English?

https://twitter.com/OOCCreature/status/1271530627607801865?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Timby posted:

I still think it's troubling that the movie was supposed to be out a month ago, originally, and we have yet to see a single frame of footage from it.

It's been pushed back 11 months. I'd assume that the promotions have been similarly delayed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Terrible Opinions posted:

I agree that it doesn't hate the original but I'd say it starts less from the point of what would work for a movie and more starts from the position of "What if the narrative didn't buy into Light's god-complex".

That's literally the point of the ending of the original. That's what makes the ending so great, it strips Light of all pretensions and his last moment is spent begging on the ground to not die. No matter how smart he is, no matter what he accomplished, he is a man and he dies pathetically without dignity.

https://i.imgur.com/qZlPKxm.jpg

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

mandatory lesbian posted:

I think Godzilla is good but kong does kinda blow the curve up so bad by how great it is

It's so colorful.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1273758000864530433?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

damnit Godzilla vs Ghidorah/Godzilla vs Mothra shot up to 40 bucks on Amazon. I know that there's stuff going on in the world right now, but still it's hosed how hard it is to get the Heisei Godzillas on Bluray

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shiroc posted:

Older Godzilla movies have better distribution in Japan, right? I can see the idea that Godzilla is smaller business in the rest of the world but getting at least okay releases of all of the movies shouldn't be so loving ridiculous and patchwork.

It seems like they got them all on readily available individual blurays. With matching covers that are low effort but kinda neat

Although one of the top results for ゴジラ on Amazon.co.jp is the Criterion set. Which makes sense because it's going for 17000 yen and all the movies are 2900 each. So America wins on the Showa movies at least.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vinylshadow posted:

so lifelike

My guess is that it's from the upcoming movie, a statue made out of rubble by the survivors honoring their new king/savior/god

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I will never turn off adblocker

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

With the cost of Godzilla vs Ghidorah/Godzilla vs Mothra steadily rising on Amazon, should I just say screw it and jump ahead to Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2/Godzilla vs Space Godzilla, or will I regret not seeing the others beforehand?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ah screw it I'll just wait for somebody to get their poo poo together and do a Heisei box set. I ordered The H-Man/Battle in Outer Space instead

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 27, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Heisei, I meant Heisei. Right now I'm just hoping the B&N Criterion Sale isn't canceled so I can snag that next month

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1278510900434161665?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Detective No. 27 posted:

Why is Godzilla in a random anime? Crazy that they'd show him kill a kid like that.

I haven't seen the movie, but apparently Hatsune Miku is in it too. So Miku is canon in Godzilla.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm glad it's not real, I don't think King King should be taller than Godzilla

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I feel dumb for just now realizing that the first movie was called Kong Skull Island and the next one is Godzilla vs Kong is because they made such a big deal about Godzilla being King of the Monsters in Godzilla King of the Monsters so when Kong beats Godzilla at the end of Godzilla vs Kong somebody can dramatically say "now he's King Kong"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

I think you mean when Kong beats Godzilla at the end of the second act, before they figure out they have to ally against the real threat.

Bigger Kong

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There's also this one, which I am linking because I think it might have a spoiler. Is it just me or does the axe blade look like one of Godzilla's back plates?

https://i.imgur.com/tZtbaQM.jpg

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Violator posted:

I’m surprised Rampage apparently didn’t do well enough to become a franchise. Rock’s whole career is building or revitalizing franchises.

I think the problem was there wasn't a really good, compelling antagonist. The monsters were mind controlled so they didn't really have personalities for the bulk of the movie. The actual villains were Malin Ackerman and her brother, but they were more comic relief goofy characters than good villains. And they both died at the end.

If the giant alligator had been the main threat, then at the end they could've teased it wasn't actually dead, or it's body gets eaten by piranhas who start to transform into giant alligator piranhas, y'know something to continue that threat. Or if Malin Ackerman had been a bit menacing, a bit more Weskery, and also not died, then the last shot could've been her flying away in a helicopter with a suitcase full of the mutagens. Like, oh no she's gonna do it again, presumably with different animals!

But instead it ends with all the antagonists dead, none of them being very good "final shot on their body but then the eyes open!" candidates, and it's just Dwayne Johnson and his gorilla friend are friends again, they're joking around like the old days. And you can get that from basically any Dwayne Johnson movie. Just replace the giant gorilla with Kevin Hart or Jack Black or a magical talking skateboard.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/miregoji326/status/1285053569939369984?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched Gorgo

First off, the monster action is great. There's two big monster sequences and they're both fantastic. Gorgo attacking the rowboats and getting driven off the beach is really well done and cool looking with all the torches. And Gorgo's mom attacking London is top notch. Really good compositing and editing to blend the monster with the people. It's not just Gorgo's mom wrecking building, the focus is on the streets packed with people trying to escape the destruction, but then getting flattened by falling masonry. Really good stuff, Top tier city rampage.

Where the movie falls down is everything else. Our lead humans are a pair of English scumbag treasure hunters who capture Gorgo and put it in a spike-lined pit and have flamethrower men on hand to shoot it with flame. Just zero attempt to make you like or care about them. And they have nothing to do in the last like 25 minutes of the movie. And by lead humans, I mean they're almost the only human characters. There's I think three other named human characters who show up and do stuff, but they are pretty minor and also have little effect on the plot. So between the Gorgo attack at the beginning and Gorgo's mom's rampage at the end, there's not much to catch your interest.

So overall I'd say Gorgo averages out to fine. Watch it for the good monster stuff, scroll through Twitter on your phone when a monster isn't attacking.

And another thing. It's not good or bad but it's worth mentioning. There's a segment where the navy tries to stop Gorgo's mom, and the navy exists entirely in stock footage. No miniature boats, no actors on sets, 100% stock footage. Which would be fine, except the stock footage is insanely grainy and washed out. It's like a joke, if you were doing a comedy movie and wanted to do a joke about using stock footage, just putting in stock footage that looked like that would qualify as a joke.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Also please change the thread title to "An elaborate Irish hoax"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

He was smiling because Gorgo was free. The kid's last line was "he's going back now. Back to the sea". He was looking at Gorgo, the movie cut between Gorgo and it's mother walking into the sea and the kid's face. The last shot of the kid isn't the shot you posted, it's a closeup of the kid's smiling face as he watches Gorgo leave.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Burkion posted:

It's also super gay because I think you see A woman in one shot of a background scene. The only woman in the entire movie is Ogra, Gorgo's mom

I noticed the lack of women too but you're not being fair to Gorgo. It is true that there's not a single named female character, and no woman appears in more than one scene. However there are two female speaking roles. First there is a lady reporter who asks the circus guy a couple questions, and later on there's a woman at the circus who yells something.

So, there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The kid never expresses any desire for a family, only to free Gorgo. There's no evidence that he prayed for a family.

Edit: It's also worth noting that on the bluray it's very clear that that reporter was greenscreened in. It looks way worse than any of the other various compositing effects used in the rest of the movie. And since he's not the reporter who showed up earlier to give important exposition, and given the nature of his reporting, I would assume that he wasn't in the film to begin with. I think he was added in after the movies was done to try to enhance the ending by having someone tell the audience what to feel. So I worry you might be led astray if you attempt to divine the meaning of the film through how the specific phrasing of his monologue matches up with small background details.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 21, 2020